Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-06-2014, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quick easy question thanks in advance

I don't know the first thing about seeding, aeration or fertilizing etc. I don't want to waste anyone's time having them explain it. If someone could give me a title to the best book to learn all of the above I would greatly appreciate it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-06-2014, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Try Purdue's site: agry.purdue.edu

Click on help for your home lawn. I don't know where you are from but this site will give you an abundance of info for cool season grasses
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-06-2014, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks I'm in SW Missouri.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-07-2014, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Check out the Mizzou extension website. More local info on there and anything as scientific as you wanna get. Look up your county master gardeners and they will help you or you can take their class and learn A LOT. I took it last year. $180, 50hrs classroom training. Message me for more info.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

And keep reading right here. Read a few old posts (a few thousand, I mean). As good as a turfgrass degree--after you separate the bull from his remains.

For your information there are over 20,000 discussion thread topics in the Pesticides, Herbicides discussion. They start in 1998.
Don't forget to use the "search" function if you have questions about what others are doing on any particular topic. Please be respectful of your industry--don't price you services at low-ball rates.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 01-07-2014 at 01:46 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-07-2014, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Whether you look at the Purdue site or Missouri site, you're going to get great info. What's going to matter most is that you're looking at recommendations for the turf species that you're working with. Kentucky bluegrass info is Kentucky bluegrass info, whether it comes from Penn State, Purdue, or Oregon State. The timings of applications may be different, but the basic info is still the same.

Just a word on pricing (in reference to the post before mine): Price your service at the level you need to get what you want. Don't worry if other guys think you're "lowballing" or not. You are the only one who knows your market and what your business needs. If you can do the job at a lower price than other guys can do it for and you're happy with that, more power to you!