Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-22-2013, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Member

12 or 18 Auger for tree and shrub planting

Hi guys,

We are finally building on our 11 acre field in Orange County North Carolina. We'll be planting well over 50 trees during the next couple of years and a lot of shrubs as well.

Shrubs will include Abelia, Nandina, Holly, Japanese Red Barberry
Trees will include some Arbor Vitae for privacy, Dogwood, Crepe Myrtle, and Magnolia, as well as the 1" Oaks and Maples that I can transplant from the woods.

I have a Deere 3520 with 30 pto hp, and since I hate digging holes, we plan to buy a PTO driven post hole digger for the tractor. Probably the 6900HD from Everything Attachments. What size Auger would you recommend? 12 or 18? Or would you get a 9 and drill 3 holes in a triangle and join them?
(I am not considering buying a back hoe!)

Thanks,
Todd
Old 12-22-2013, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

12 or 18 Auger for tree and shrub planting

Could you rent one and just make a plan I plant them all at the same time?
Echo Power Equip.

Working Hard.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a 18" auger and even that's pretty small. You want to go wide when planting, the rule of thumb is 3 time's the size of the original root ball. Good luck.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio Lawn Care View Post
Could you rent one and just make a plan I plant them all at the same time?
We're going to be planting in stages, a few at trees at time. More work to dig them up than to dig the new hole, but any help is good help.

I suspect we'll run a drip irrigation line to even the distant plants/trees for their first year or two of growth. Probably bury some hose for irrigation just a couple of inches down to avoid destroying it with the mower. The property slopes gently, so draining those lines for winter will be easy.

My only concern with the 18" is that it would be useless for small shrubs, but then again, those only require 2 scoops from the shovel.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Vecchio, renting the attachments makes sense. That way you can get what ever size auger you need for the specific trees you are planting them
Old 12-22-2013, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Or just rent whatever auger size you don't buy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-22-2013, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Member

That's reasonable advice guys, but I find it interesting how you value time.
It's 30 minutes to sunbelt rental's lot. The time to rent something is at least 15 minutes. So hour fifteen to rent, another hour to return it. $6 in gas each way. So rental fee + $24 gas plus over 2 hours each time I want to use something. Let's say I value my time at $30 an hour. That means each time I rent something I throw away $84 in my time and in gas money. Renting anything bigger than a hand held auger brings that to over $250 if I use it for a day, so if I rent 4 times I'll actually save money buying an attachment. And that doesn't count the fact that I can probably sell for 40 or 50% of my cost after a couple of years of light use.

Time is money and fun, so I'm gonna buy the pto P.H.D. That said, I'd rather only buy one auger, so I want to choose the correct size.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 12-22-2013, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

What gallon size are you planting. Or are they burlap and ball?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-22-2013, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I suspect 1 to 5 gallon

Also, I think you pro's all have trailers or pick up trucks. I don't, so renting requires it fit in the SUV back, or borrowing a trailer. Add a couple more hours each time, or $50 for the trailer rental fee.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerner View Post
That's reasonable advice guys, but I find it interesting how you value time.
It's 30 minutes to sunbelt rental's lot. The time to rent something is at least 15 minutes. So hour fifteen to rent, another hour to return it. $6 in gas each way. So rental fee + $24 gas plus over 2 hours each time I want to use something. Let's say I value my time at $30 an hour. That means each time I rent something I throw away $84 in my time and in gas money. Renting anything bigger than a hand held auger brings that to over $250 if I use it for a day, so if I rent 4 times I'll actually save money buying an attachment. And that doesn't count the fact that I can probably sell for 40 or 50% of my cost after a couple of years of light use.

Time is money and fun, so I'm gonna buy the pto P.H.D. That said, I'd rather only buy one auger, so I want to choose the correct size.

Thanks,
Todd
If you look at it that way, you could save money, and time, by hiring someone with the equipment to punch the holes for you.