Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-08-2014, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My website worked well for me last year. I didn't put any doorhangers out last year. i guess i kinda got lucky. i had a main page that ranked well for the city i'm in, but when i started getting exact match domains for other cities i wanted to target that helped even more. most of those other domains i bought got to the first page on a search for lawn care pretty quickly. i only closed about 20% of my sales but i'm not trying to win any races here. i know everybody's different. I hope you reach your goal this year.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Par Lawns View Post
If we're lucky maybe Tony could search our areas locally and let us know how the top ranking lawn care websites look!? Isn't there a way somehow to look "behind the scenes" of their websites to see how SEO friendly their sites are? Maybe in our area we could get away with basic template websites and still show up on first page. I really wish I knew more about this stuff!
You can reverse-engineer any aspect of rank, you just have to know what to look for. You can look at a site's code. You can look off-site, via Google. Use keywords, see what they rank for. Search for the actual domain name, and business name, and see where they pop up. The non-code aspects aren't difficult, you just need to learn what to look for and spend some time investigating.

For a low-budget approach to building a web site, look at either hosting + wordpress or the well-regarded, all-in-one DIY site, squarespace.com
Old 01-08-2014, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
If we're lucky maybe Tony could search our areas locally and let us know how the top ranking lawn care websites look!? Isn't there a way somehow to look "behind the scenes" of their websites to see how SEO friendly their sites are? Maybe in our area we could get away with basic template websites and still show up on first page. I really wish I knew more about this stuff!
if it makes you feel better i did remote desktop repair in the army and its still over my head. ill dig around here to find his thread to see if it helps me. I've read a lot off Google but it's helped me very little. i feel a solid web presence should be less labor intensive then door hangers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2014, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are you doing fertilizer and weed control as well?
Old 01-08-2014, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
For a low-budget approach to building a web site, look at either hosting + wordpress or the well-regarded, all-in-one DIY site, squarespace.com
I've seen this suggestion a bunch of times but I just don't know if I can handle it. Dont you still have to know how to "write code" and understand seo strategies in order to have your site rank well with squarespace? . Trust me, I've read all the forums about website building and it just makes my head hurt. Even if I were able to get it up and running I'm sure it wouldn't be set up properly and rank well enough to get people to call. I just feel like spending 3-500 bucks on getting a site online is pointless if its not going to be built well enough to get on the first page and turn into sales. And if I personally don't have the time, patience and knowledge to run it correctly than I should just wait until I can pay a professional to do it for me.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I've seen this suggestion a bunch of times but I just don't know if I can handle it. Dont you still have to know how to "write code" and understand seo strategies in order to have your site rank well with squarespace? . Trust me, I've read all the forums about website building and it just makes my head hurt. Even if I were able to get it up and running I'm sure it wouldn't be set up properly and rank well enough to get people to call. I just feel like spending 3-500 bucks on getting a site online is pointless if its not going to be built well enough to get on the first page and turn into sales. And if I personally don't have the time, patience and knowledge to run it correctly than I should just wait until I can pay a professional to do it for me.
People tend to think web developers/marketers are an all or nothing kind of deal, that are either to cheap to be legitimate or too expensive to be budget-friendly. The reality is that many perform a service that is actually, legitimately workable. For that budget range, likely at the top end, you can find people who will install/configure/on-site optimize a WP theme or squarespace.com site, get you up and running, and turn the keys over to you. The more you have ready to go, such as a logo, photography, and some words for the site, the better you'll be at maximizing budget for that scenario.

Off-site SEO, such as citation building is going to typically be up to you (easy work, just time-consuming), but I know some that include the core, off-site accounts of Yahoo/Bing/Google/FB Pages that are optimized, branded, and ready to go.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey above par, try watching some videos on YouTube for building websites. It can help explain things better. Search whatever you want to on there.

You could barter service for a website. Many ads on craigslist for this in my area. Just check out the company before you commit to anything. Good luck
Old 01-09-2014, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by szykan View Post
Hey above par, try watching some videos on YouTube for building websites. It can help explain things better. Search whatever you want to on there.

You could barter service for a website. Many ads on craigslist for this in my area. Just check out the company before you commit to anything. Good luck
It's been my experience that the only thing that fails as much, or more, than having a friend or in-law build you a web site is a barter. I've never seen one (I have seen many) that wasn't tilted heavily in the favor of the designer or SEO guy.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have religiously watched YouTube videos, read forums and tried my hardest to understand how it all works. I actually signed up for the free 14 day trial with squarespace.com last night. After messing with it for a while I am now fully aware of my incapabilities when it comes to computers. I found a nice template that I liked and then proceeded to jumble it all together and ruin it within a matter of minutes. And that was just with the simple stuff like adding/editing pictures. It makes me feel like an idiot honestly. I could probably have the wife help me put it together a little better but that still does not help with all of the hidden codes/keywords/SEO behind the scenes work that needs done in order to succeed. I have contacted lawncare marketing 360 as well as a few other local website developers in hopes to shop around and find what will work best for me and my budget.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I have contacted lawncare marketing 360 as well as a few other local website developers in hopes to shop around and find what will work best for me and my budget.
If you search for that company on this site, you'll find my thoughts. They're as lawncare'centric as my grandmother and she's cheaper.