Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-05-2014, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Expanding from mowing, need ideas

Alright gentlemen, I think I may finally be looking to expand services a little for this year.

Here's the deal, I'm really starting to get serious about purchasing some property, it'd be a few acres (3-10). When I do purchase the property I'm also going to be purchasing a compact tractor to help maintain the property until I have the funds available to either build a house or put up a barn/shop on it, so I'll be clearing some parts and grading a driveway/path for access in the meantime.

Well since I'll have the tractor I figure I may as well use it to pick up some extra work and start expanding my services. Right now I mainly do mowing and cleanups with the occasional mulch job in the spring. I'm thinking doing some brush hogging, light loader work, etc but need some insight from others as to what they find to be good work for a compact tractor.

I'd be getting a new John Deere 3320 (or comparable 2014 model) with quick hitch loader and factory cab. I'd get one other attachment with it at time of purchase, such as a rotary cutter, tiller or snowblower...but that will depend on what I think I'll be doing with it.

So I'm in need of some ideas and input....
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 01-05-2014, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I found myself doing quite a few driveway grading jobs this year. I had a 72" grader blade that I bought with my tractor so it made things very easy. I also did a few brush hogging jobs, but only rented rather than buy at this point. Im not sure what size that tractor is(HP) and if you do snow removal or not but they can be extremely useful with pushers or blades on them.

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-05-2014, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The 3320 is a 33hp diesel tractor. If I end up getting a 2014 model it'd be a 3033r, which is also 33hp.

I don't currently do any snow work. I've been thinking about it if I get the tractor. I'd end up putting a 59" front mount blower on it and rear blade. I live in a subdivision with two others just outside of mine, so I'd be in a perfect area to use the tractor and blower to clear driveways.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 01-05-2014, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Expanding from mowing, need ideas

If I were you I would pick up a used grading box or plow and a used brush hog. That way if the work doesn't come right away you don't have thousands invested into something not making you any money.

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerbrad View Post
The 3320 is a 33hp diesel tractor. If I end up getting a 2014 model it'd be a 3033r, which is also 33hp.

I don't currently do any snow work. I've been thinking about it if I get the tractor. I'd end up putting a 59" front mount blower on it and rear blade. I live in a subdivision with two others just outside of mine, so I'd be in a perfect area to use the tractor and blower to clear driveways.
Most guys prefer inverted blowers with a FEL on the front so that you cant know down piles and still move snow and such, and the visibility is far better when driving forward. The tractor would be a killer with driveways though, you would be able to do more in any hour than anyone with a truck. Think about getting a plow for your truck too. There is a lot of money in snow, and I bet you get a lot of it in Michigan.

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-05-2014, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

From reading on the other forms people say the 3320 with cab suck the hp down when your running the ac. The recommend stepping up to the 3520. Gravel driveway installs grading a yard bush hogging its endless what you can do
Old 01-07-2014, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQLL View Post
From reading on the other forms people say the 3320 with cab suck the hp down when your running the ac. The recommend stepping up to the 3520. Gravel driveway installs grading a yard bush hogging its endless what you can do

The 3320 is too small to put a 72" belly mount on it, so I'd recommend at least a 3520.
I have a 3520 cabbed, and a 4115 (no cab). I do more grading and loader work with the 4115, because it fits into tighter areas, and is not as top heavy. I do ALOT of seeding and topsoil spreading, and grab that 4115 over the skid steer in many cases.

So depending on what you WANT to be doing, make sure you get a tractor that suits your needs.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

These are a few of my thoughts on this subject since I have quite a bit of experience with CUT's for use on extra work like you are thinking about-

I don't think a 3320 is too small for a 72" MMM at all. I have a 4115 also. It will run a 72 MMM with ease (unless you are trying to bush hog with it, and that wasn't what it was made for). In fact, the 4115 was designed specifically for the 72" MMM because it wouldn't fit under the 4110/4100, and it has more HP than either of them as well.

I have all sorts of attachments for my 4115. Two stage blower (which I have been using the snot out of the last couple days LOL), front blade, front broom (works great in snow up to about 3", and cleans right down to bare ground. Works great in parking lots to remove gravel that gets washed in from the shoulder of the road too), MMM, rototiller, post hole digger, ballast box, loaded rear tires, FEL, and a couple other things. You can use them all on your own place, and can use most, if not all, of them on other properties. The cab is really nice in the snow. I only have a canopy on mine, but even that helps a ton. A front blower and rear blade are the best set up for driveways. You can do both gravel and paved surfaces that way, and can scrape the stuff out into the open that is too close to houses and out buildings to get with the blower, or when there is gravel mixed into the snow from county plow trucks etc. I can swap from front blade to broom to blower in 5 minutes or less, but the larger tractors don't have that option, so a combo of blower and blade is most practical.

I've been using a CUT for the last 10 years for side work. My previous machine was a JD 4500, and I had a lot of stuff for that one too. I wish I had kept it. I could do anything I needed with that one, but the 4115 is much easier to tow and store. A set of pallet forks for the FEL is a great attachment IMO. You can do an enormous amount of different jobs with them. I do a lot of tree felling and storm clean up type work where trees and branches have fallen or blown down. The pallet forks are so handy for lifting logs to load on a trailer, lift stumps that are heavy and awkward but almost always need to be hauled away. Plus the forks make loading other attachments onto your trailer a breeze. Get a set that are adjustable-fixed and not floating though. Get them with a large D ring already welded onto the main frame. Most Deere dealers sell a couple brands and one has the D ring already mounted. Forget the loader mounted front blades. they are very front heavy, and are hard on your FEL, both due to the weight and the fact that the cutting edge gets snagged on too much stuff like little stumps, large frozen in rocks that are just poking up out of the ground a few inches, and expansion joints in driveways, and that really puts the strain on the FEL arms and cylinders.

Post hole diggers are a great tool as well, and can make you some pretty good money digging post holes for carpenters building decks etc. It saves them time and does a neat job for them. I have first hand experience on both sides of that one.

I have done tilling for the last few summers for people wanting to get their garden ready or just wanting to start a garden.

I've done back blade work in gravel, sand and topsoil, and box blade work on rougher, more neglected areas as well. A furrow plow is another nice tool that makes getting a new garden ready easier and quicker, especially if the area was covered with weeds etc. I disc or cultivator can come in handy at times too. Just depends on what you are offering for service.

A land plane is a great tool for rejuvenating gravel driveways, or gravel parking areas.

There's a ton of stuff you can do with one. Good luck.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

According to Deere, a 72" belly mower deck will not fit on a 3320 with cab.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by deereequipment View Post
According to Deere, a 72" belly mower deck will not fit on a 3320 with cab.
That could be due to the short wheel base, but certainly not the power.

Or.....it could be due to Deere doing what it has been doing for years- downgrading the size of the equipment/attachments a certain size engine on a newer model can run so that they can promote and sell larger, more expensive models. They've been doing that for years whenever they bring out a new model number series. I have their sales brochures for both their tractors and their attachments going back to 2000 to back that statement up too.