Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-31-2014, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I need to grow the maintenance side of my business!!

Here's the problem: over the last couple of years I've been pretty steady having 40 mowing and accounts.

Over the last year or two even though I've been bringing in a few clients of year I've had over 10 people either move or die on me

I I have plenty landscape projects coming in yearly but I really would like to increase my maintenance side of things for cash flow, etc. plus I upsell to my mowing clients and that brings landscaping projects.

From your experience what is the best way to increase my mowing and fertilization side of the business??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2014, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I did a Door hanger last year. Placed one on the neighbor's of my fert/weed control customers only. Doubled those clients in the month of April. Im doing it again this spring. I also bought out 2 mowing companies, older guys, last year. They retired, start this year, my 2nd season in business, with 70 weekly mows and 150 fert/weed control clients. It can happen as quickly as you are prepared for my friend. Cheers!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

have you considered offering a deal to your installs you do every year to convert them into maintenance accounts?

on installs, I generally offer a lifetime warranty on plants and living ground cover, as long as they maintain a full service maintenance contract with me.

If they omit something, like say plant health care, and bugs eat their shrubs... Oh well no warranty.

It's usually an 80% conversion in my experience.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower1 View Post
I did a Door hanger last year. Placed one on the neighbor's of my fert/weed control customers only. Doubled those clients in the month of April. Im doing it again this spring. I also bought out 2 mowing companies, older guys, last year. They retired, start this year, my 2nd season in business, with 70 weekly mows and 150 fert/weed control clients. It can happen as quickly as you are prepared for my friend. Cheers!
you bought out two guys? at the same time? what did you have some giant pile of money you had no other use for? Or the gift of the golden tounge?
Old 01-31-2014, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I put out a bunch of door hangers last year, but didn't have that much luck ...... What did your hangers look like??

Also, I agree with up selling install clients! Great idea!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-01-2014, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Any other thoughts???
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-01-2014, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeandTob View Post
I put out a bunch of door hangers last year, but didn't have that much luck ...... What did your hangers look like??

Also, I agree with up selling install clients! Great idea!
Posted via Mobile Device
I made them using Avery templates online. They had 2 tear aways on them and I gave 50% off first application. Usually 5 surrounding neighbors. 1 on each side and 3 across the street. It works.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
Quote:
you bought out two guys? at the same time? what did you have some giant pile of money you had no other use for? Or the gift of the golden tounge?
Listen here. I dont know what your problem is. I worked my tail off for my money. I will spend it how I see fit. Until you come to Illinois, and buy me out, you can spend your money. Not mine. I have a system, and it works.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

EDDM, a batch of 20k should be around 600 bucks or so depending on design and such. Send those out to the areas in which you already have work or want to move into and wait for the calls to come in. Its easy and you know it will show up in their mail.

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 02-01-2014, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Listen here. I dont know what your problem is. I worked my tail off for my money. I will spend it how I see fit. Until you come to Illinois, and buy me out, you can spend your money. Not mine. I have a system, and it works.
Buying out TWO companies in your first year of business and rocketing to 150 accounts is extremely RARE.

so it's not MY problem, Mr. touchy. I asked did you have a ton of money to do that with? Or are you very good at talking people into things (otherwise known as the gift of the golden tongue)

It's obvious that your new. I wouldn't act like your experience is common or worth sharing with others on "how to do it" especially since your two new companies you have acquired are yet to be tested and all sorts of things could go wrong. "you have a system, and it works"…it's worked for what a handful of months?

Your new… keep your shirt on.