Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-16-2014, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
This sounds like a typical "bank online" procedure. The customer is merely using an online access to "cut a check," rather than pulling out the checkbook, handwriting, and sending via USPS.

Several of my customers do this. A check is issued from a processing facility and arrives to me via USPS. The customer initiates the process, either issing the same amount each month, or what is on my invoice. Some banks use the same processing facility, and it is not unusual to open an envelope and find two or three checks. The facility understands that multiple checks are going to the same address, and stuffs them in the same envelope. This happens, even though the customers are using different banks. This is not ACH.
no the customer is using online access to electronically send a check. you email them the invoice. they click on a link that takes them to a page to pay their bill, enter their routing number and account number and send. the next day payment is wired straight to your bank. no physical checks to go to the bank with. it's electronic.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

spitfire... you are right -- not the same.

Sorry, ... I don't know anything about this. Maybe it is time to recheck what is available. Lots has changed in the banking world in past couple of years (thanks, Dodd-Frank).
Old 02-16-2014, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
This sounds like a typical "bank online" procedure. The customer is merely using an online access to "cut a check," rather than pulling out the checkbook, handwriting, and sending via USPS.

Several of my customers do this. A check is issued from a processing facility and arrives to me via USPS. The customer initiates the process, either issing the same amount each month, or what is on my invoice. Some banks use the same processing facility, and it is not unusual to open an envelope and find two or three checks. The facility understands that multiple checks are going to the same address, and stuffs them in the same envelope. This happens, even though the customers are using different banks. This is not ACH.
It's nothing like what you are describing.

It is an all electronic transfer of funds from their bank account to my bank account and it only costs $0.50 per transaction.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 02-16-2014, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A. W. ... Can you tell us the name of this service, who provides, and the process to initiate? Thanks.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's called Intiut Payment Network and it's through Quickbooks.

Read post #13.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Old 02-16-2014, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A.W. ... thank you! I remember reading that info in #13, but I guess it did not register in my mind what was happening. No excuse for that.

This looks like a great system. Clearly, this is a new feature of the past couple of years, new since the last time I investigated.

I've read the information on the Intuit site. It says payment can come from another bank account, or credit card. Your post (#13) speaks of credit card, not bank account. Is this a choice of the customer, or do you set that source of payment. The bank account transfer is $0.50 a pop, whereas the credit card payment is 3.25%. Are the fees taken from your bank account (you have supplied all the information for Intuit to make a withdrawal). Monthly, or each transaction?

Do you insist all customers work with the Payment network, or give a choice(some still cut paper checks)? Some of my customers are older folks, and the notion of making a payment online may be out of the question.

Thanks again for the great tip!
Old 02-16-2014, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The fees are deducted from the transaction.

I send an invoice for $100, the client pays $100 via credit card and $96.75 gets deposited into my account and $3.25 gets recored in my Quickbooks as a payment for the processing fee…I never get the $3.25…it is taken out before the funds are transferred to my account.

I explain to my clients that this is the payment process I use for their convenience and mine. I try to encourage my clients to setup an account to transfer the money from their account to mine so that the fee is only $0.50 but most still pay be credit card…I think a lot of people still aren't comfortable with the idea of allowing these systems to have direct access to their bank accounts…they feel their accounts are no longer secure…credit card payments provide a level of protection for them.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Old 02-17-2014, 11:25 AM
Sponsor

I would recommend Locqus! Free invoicing and field service management as well. Customizable fields for invoicing will be out next month, but we currently have all the ones you listed @4Seasons.
Office: 800-647-1951
Locqus - Free Field Service Management
Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC