Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-28-2015, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Chevy Avalanche

Does anyone use the Avalanche? Looking to start up in the next winter season sub plowing then get into mowing on the side in 2016. But I am going to be planning and acquiring equipment over the summer. But as my first purchase is going to be a truck I need something that can do it all, plow, haul, and family friendly. This is the one I'm looking at http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/4844696158.html

Thoughts, reccomendations
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2015, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's the same platform and powertrain as a 1/2 ton Silverado. So I don't see why it wouldn't work.

The good thing about the Avalanche is you can fold that gate in the middle down and you've got essentially an 8' bed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2015, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Chevy Avalanche

What kind of plowing are you doing ?
Old 01-28-2015, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Chevy Avalanche

How much snow do you get on average to big storms ? Are you hauling dirt or salt in the back ?
Old 01-28-2015, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It will be mostly residential and few small commercial lots. Was thinking of a western wide out. I live about 40 miles east of Lake MI snow really varies, last year we were over 100" this year there's only been maybe 20". Also if do do need to use salt it'll be bagged and ill probably have to devise something to hold it because I don't want a salty slur in my bed.

What's opinions on motors? Is the 5.3l 1/2 ton reliable up to and over 200k miles or the Eco friendly 8.1l BIG BLOCK? This is what I'm more torn between, power vs. fuel economy. Tim Taylor symptoms
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2015, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's a heavy plow for an avalanche most plow dealers have a 1/2 ton plow usually light wieght.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Personally from what I've heard the avalanche is expensive. Why not get a 3/4 ton truck with the 6.0 (best gas motor) and that way you can plow snow without a problem. Everyone I know that plows snow with a 1/2 truck either has alot of front end problems or wishes they had the front end clearance a 3/4 ton truck has. Just my .02

GMC
John Deere
Wright
Toro
Echo
Old 01-28-2015, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassManKzoo View Post
It will be mostly residential and few small commercial lots. Was thinking of a western wide out. I live about 40 miles east of Lake MI snow really varies, last year we were over 100" this year there's only been maybe 20". Also if do do need to use salt it'll be bagged and ill probably have to devise something to hold it because I don't want a salty slur in my bed.

What's opinions on motors? Is the 5.3l 1/2 ton reliable up to and over 200k miles or the Eco friendly 8.1l BIG BLOCK? This is what I'm more torn between, power vs. fuel economy. Tim Taylor symptoms
Posted via Mobile Device
5.3 will go well beyond 200k if it's been maintained. Transmission will start to give you problems around the 200-225k mark.

Don't steal. The government hates competition.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wideout is far too much plow for that truck, they don't even recommend the wideout on a 3/4 ton unless it has a heavier axle. You'd be better off with a smaller mid weight plow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2015, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_NC06 View Post
It's the same platform and powertrain as a 1/2 ton Silverado. So I don't see why it wouldn't work.

The good thing about the Avalanche is you can fold that gate in the middle down and you've got essentially an 8' bed.
Posted via Mobile Device
No it's not... I've got an avalanche, it's basically a unibody with a silverado front end. No leaf springs at all. I know of guys who have modded and put air bags under them, but it definitely doesn't have the bed capacity of a 1/2 ton truck.

EDIT

I've got 149K on mine only major work has been the transfer case went out about 142K. Hopefully you are looking at one without all the cladding.