Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-01-2015, 03:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

SRW adequate for heavier towing?

Just bought a short cab, flatbed F350 to replace my worn out short cab flatbed F350. Newer truck is several years newer, a couple hundred thousand miles fresher, and in overall much better condition.

Here's the catch: best part about the old truck is the massive Dana 80 Dually rear end. New truck is a one ton but only single rear wheel with a smaller looking Ford 10.5 rear end.

I was just going to sell my old truck as a starter truck for someone else who needs to move heavy things but doesn't have much money. However, the more I think about it, I wonder if I would be better off with the bigger rear end under the newer truck.

I typically haul a 10,000# 16 ft bumper pull with a CTL or mini-ex, but also have a 30' 20,000# gooseneck. I have used it to haul large loads of logs and even hauled 8 pallets of sod one time. It's a great trailer, but it probably weighs over 6,000# empty.

Is a SRW going to hold up moving a trailer that grosses 14,000# or more?

Has anyone had an axle swapped in this sort of way?

Love to hear everybody's thoughts, thanks.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Member

A friend of mine has been pulling large heavy trailers for years and claims that a 1 ton dually is the most stable towing rig in the pickup class. The dual wheels reduce / eliminate sway, rocking, wandering as you go down the road. I doubt you would be happy with your single axle. Swapping the whole rear housing into your newer truck should be pretty straight forward assuming the width measurements work out.

I would think to make a single axle setup work you would need super single tires, heavy duty sway bar and springs.

Good luck.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm fine pulling my bumper pull 14k trailer with a srw and airbag suspension.

I probably wouldn't go much higher than that. So I'd go for the drw and the heavier axle for the gooseneck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2015, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Your 20k trailer will most likely put way too much weight on the rear axle of the truck unless you really plan out your load distribution. If you are hauling a couple particular pieces of equipment you could make a couple marks on the deck to let you know when the machine is in its "sweet spot". I did that dance with my 2500 towing 12k of mini excavator on a tag trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2015, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Srw I have pulled 18000# of well balanced dual axle trailer, but would not want to do it with any regularity. Same weight with triple axle trailer was better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2015, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure the tires can handle the weight . And if you have a 20K lb goose neck you may want to read the motor vehicle rules . so I dont start an arguement I will phrase it this way . I "believe " you need a class A cdl for that . The gvw of the truck and trailer exceed 26,000 lbs . ( not what you have them registered for but the gvw weights of the truck and trailer)
Old 03-02-2015, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Without getting into a CDL debate I run a 3/4ton single wheel truck on a 28' gooseneck. Airbags in the rear and careful research before buying tires to get the highest load rating I could and it's been working well for over 4 years.

Is it as stable as a dually? No, but with proper setup a single wheel can do just fine.

I'm in a rural area where DOT isn't something that is passed on the road 3x a day and most of the time I'm on roads where I might not even see another car, but 18k is a light load for me. My trailer is 8800lb empty as well.
Old Today, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Welp, I decided to give it a try and swapped the rear ends yesterday. Got the big bed off the old truck headed to the welder to be re-sized. Had to replace a rotor and caliper on the dually rear as well, so I didn't get finished till late last night. Took it for a brief test drive and man what a difference. The SRW wasn't posi so it would spin one wheel, now I have 4 wheels pulling together. The dually rear is also 4.10 gears vs. 3.73 in the SRW, so it ought to have a good bit of grunt. Can't wait to get the hitch and bed put on here and pull some weight!

Thanks for the replies. Here's a few pics:
Attached Images

Old Today, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like that's all the pics I can upload for now. Site isn't taking any of my other pics.
Old Today, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

More pics: (had to edit them in photoshop to resize them. )
Attached Images