Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-06-2014, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How much is this grass hopper worth?

It's about time to move on from this mower. 2001 grasshopper 725k front mount with 2200 hrs. 27 hp kohler motor. It needs a short block. The rings are shot and the valves are leaking. Not dumping any money into it. Hydro pumps are great though and so is the rest of the mower. New muffler and idler pulley and new clutch and a couple new spindles. Can't post pics right now but about how much would it be worth? It runs fine it just fouls plugs once a week and it uses a quart of oil in a couple weeks. Still cuts beautifully and rides like a Cadillac.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2014, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

New carb also
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2014, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know if this helps you at all, but maybe it will.

I bought the newer version of that mower late last season. It is about a 2004 model 725K2, with 9661 deck and dump from seat grass collector. It had 250 hours on it, but the spindles needed attention. They had been asking $8000 as I recall at the dealer, but I bought it for $6,250. It looks extremely good and operates as new.

Since yours is a running, operating unit, I would think that there is some industrious, tinkering homeowner that would be very pleased to give a few thousand for it. If it has grass collection, they might even fight over it. For that matter, someone trying to get in the mowing business and has some mechanical ability might be very glad to get hold of it.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks. I was hoping to get this thing gone before the motor blows up. I can probably get $2000 out of it. I really don't want to dump $2000 in the motor to use it for a little while longer before the pumps go out then I'm screwed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2014, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

From your description of it's ills, I don't think there's anything that would make it prone to blowing up. It'll just spray mosquito's and take a lot of oil, but as long as you keep oil in it, I don't think it will blow up. Is it new enough to have the G2 drive system? If so, then I don't think it's very likely for that to go out either.

If it's a G2 and the only thing wrong with it is oil usage and smoke, someone could take it apart and do an overhaul and make a great machine out of it for reasonable money.

Good luck with it.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree 100%. It is a nutty idea to get rid of it. You can get an engine overhaul done fairly cheaply. The hydros should last 5000 hours, at least.
If I lived near you, I would be right over with the $2000. Then, I would fix the engine, clean it up, and almost triple my money by selling it on Craigslist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBDiagMan View Post
From your description of it's ills, I don't think there's anything that would make it prone to blowing up. It'll just spray mosquito's and take a lot of oil, but as long as you keep oil in it, I don't think it will blow up. Is it new enough to have the G2 drive system? If so, then I don't think it's very likely for that to go out either.

If it's a G2 and the only thing wrong with it is oil usage and smoke, someone could take it apart and do an overhaul and make a great machine out of it for reasonable money.

Good luck with it.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with mowingman. If we both were in your area, I guess he and I would be fighting over it.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBDiagMan View Post
I'm with mowingman. If we both were in your area, I guess he and I would be fighting over it.
Would you really want to be in a mower $4000? Takes $2000 to buy it from me and $2000 to put a short block with labor not including sending the heads to kohler. That's just a short block. A motor swap would be a little over $3000.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2014, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes, I would not be concerned at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackvbra View Post
Would you really want to be in a mower $4000? Takes $2000 to buy it from me and $2000 to put a short block with labor not including sending the heads to kohler. That's just a short block. A motor swap would be a little over $3000.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2014, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think it would be a good investment, except if the only thing wrong with the engine is what is indicated by your symptoms, I would take it apart and rebuild it rather than buying a new engine.

Okay mowingman. Put up your Dukes!