Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-06-2014, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMan19 View Post
Where did you find this???
I'm sorry...a lot were recalled. My mistake. http://landscapemanagement.net/2013/...wers-trimmers/
Old 01-07-2014, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Member

We own three exmark 30 inch mowers. We use them as our main mowers. We cut 40-50 weekly lawns with them. We cut lawns half acres and down. We use to cut larger lawns and smaller lawns with lazer z's and hydro walk behind mowers. This year we made the switch to all 30 inch mowers and only half acre lawns and smaller in residential developments within three miles of my house. The mowers are not under powered. Would it be nice to have a little more horsepower, yes, but not under powered. We switched for a few reasons: They cut great, less money to purchase, easy to teach help, less in gas expense, easy to change from blowing-mulch-and bag, and less maintenance issues and expense for parts. How did it work out for us this year: The clients loved the cut. We have very high end clients. We purchased three mowers for just a hair over what we would have purchased a hydro walk behind for, including bag and mulch kit. I have four helpers who picked it up in twenty minutes of practice. Walk behinds and ztr's take time to learn and some helpers had real problems learning how to operate them. I love the easy switch from blowing to mulching. You can not do this with other machines. We double cut lawns and when they were high in the spring we would blow the lawns and go back over it at a higher ht. and mulch it. It worked really well. We did have some tranny problems in the beginning of the year, we got that worked out. There is not a lot of things that can go wrong with them. They mulched leaves great. We had happier customers since we were using smaller machines and even payed more to have the 30's on there lawn and not big walk behinds or ztr's. We even picked more lawns up in the development because they liked the smaller mowers cut. Are these mowers for everyone no. If your cutting large lawns an acre and more this mower is probably not for you. They are not good on hills. We took them side to side or cross ways, never up and down. They can be used as trim mowers or main mowers. My company made more money this year and had happier customers. It was also less stressful then using bigger equipment. It was easy to switch in new helpers, since it do not take a lot of training. I love the 30 inch mower. I would recommend it to people in our situation. I'am giving you honest field reports.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So, was it like 1 mower up to 7000, 2 for up to 14,000 and 3 up to 21,000 square feet or was it
All mowers on the yards at all times

I assume it was either a 4 man crew ?
how was the crew, crews setup ? Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-07-2014, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I take two guys with me to cut. On most of the lawns I have two guys mowing and one guy string trimming and edging. The first guy done mowing does the blowing. The other mower ties up equipment. We use all three guys mowing on half acre lawns. We double cut all the lawns. We either side discharge then mulch on the second cut or mulch both times. We try and stay away from bagging. We have little drive time between routes. A lot of times we cut three to four lawns together on a street. All my lawns are three miles or less from my house. We have a very organized system. Most of the time we get any where from two to four lawns an hour. We cut all the lawns weekly. During the fall we continue cutting weekly through the leaf season. We have a good situation the townships pick up leaves weekly at the curb. If there is a good amount of leaves we tarp some and put them at the curb and mulch the rest. We add a small surcharge to tarp. If we just mulch all the leaves without tarping we charge as a cut. This way the people have a clean lawn and we continue mowing and we don't have huge leaf clean ups. We also aerate, tanbark, and do hedges.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What is tanbark, like dye mulch? I have never heard such a word.

Thanks on the layout
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2014, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Tanbark is black charcoaled mulch. It holds really well. Everyone in our area gets there place tanbarked.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSantor View Post
Tanbark is black charcoaled mulch. It holds really well. Everyone in our area gets there place tanbarked.
There is a company that does that here too. Problem with this product is it is dirty - dogs track it in the house, etc., it is heavy and turns to soil quickly building up in the beds.

Customers love the dark color but are turning to other dyed mulches in its place.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=SSantor;4931548]I take two guys with me to cut. On most of the lawns I have two guys mowing and one guy string trimming and edging. The first guy done mowing does the blowing. The other mower ties up equipment. We use all three guys mowing on half acre lawns. We double cut all the lawns. We either side discharge then mulch on the second cut or mulch both times. We try and stay away from bagging. We have little drive time between routes. A lot of times we cut three to four lawns together on a street. All my lawns are three miles or less from my house. We have a very organized system. Most of the time we get any where from two to four lawns an hour. I am curious as to why you have to double cut. Are these lawns being cut weekly? What heights are the cuts ? How high is the grass when you start to cut it? Does the customer pay extra for this or are you doing it just to avoid the bagging? I use a Honda 21" on some lawns @ 3" and it mulches fine with one cut. Once I start going below 3" on high grass, the mulching capability starts to decline. Some lawns I have to bag. I don't want to double cut because it increases the amount of time & gas used, & my customers do not want to pay twice the price of a single cut.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I plan on going to the smaller lawn game plan and eventually weeding out all but the best customers with lawns over half an acre. My only concern is I would still need a big high horse power mower for leaf cleanup or plowing thru overgrown lawns on occasion. So I will keep my v ride or possibly go with a turf trace for this purpose. But as Ssantor said, these mowers are not underpowered . They did great mulching dry and wet leaves and they didn't bog down that much. The extra coin spent for the comm unit over the timemaster is worth it for the extra torque and more durable engine alone. I own both.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2014, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSantor View Post
We own three exmark 30 inch mowers. We use them as our main mowers. We cut 40-50 weekly lawns with them. We cut lawns half acres and down. We use to cut larger lawns and smaller lawns with lazer z's and hydro walk behind mowers. This year we made the switch to all 30 inch mowers and only half acre lawns and smaller in residential developments within three miles of my house. The mowers are not under powered. Would it be nice to have a little more horsepower, yes, but not under powered. We switched for a few reasons: They cut great, less money to purchase, easy to teach help, less in gas expense, easy to change from blowing-mulch-and bag, and less maintenance issues and expense for parts. How did it work out for us this year: The clients loved the cut. We have very high end clients. We purchased three mowers for just a hair over what we would have purchased a hydro walk behind for, including bag and mulch kit. I have four helpers who picked it up in twenty minutes of practice. Walk behinds and ztr's take time to learn and some helpers had real problems learning how to operate them. I love the easy switch from blowing to mulching. You can not do this with other machines. We double cut lawns and when they were high in the spring we would blow the lawns and go back over it at a higher ht. and mulch it. It worked really well. We did have some tranny problems in the beginning of the year, we got that worked out. There is not a lot of things that can go wrong with them. They mulched leaves great. We had happier customers since we were using smaller machines and even payed more to have the 30's on there lawn and not big walk behinds or ztr's. We even picked more lawns up in the development because they liked the smaller mowers cut. Are these mowers for everyone no. If your cutting large lawns an acre and more this mower is probably not for you. They are not good on hills. We took them side to side or cross ways, never up and down. They can be used as trim mowers or main mowers. My company made more money this year and had happier customers. It was also less stressful then using bigger equipment. It was easy to switch in new helpers, since it do not take a lot of training. I love the 30 inch mower. I would recommend it to people in our situation. I'am giving you honest field reports.
What kind of setup are you using to haul around your equipment Ssantor? MAny of the small lawn guys I've seen are using small trucks with converted beds and no trailer. Just wondering if you are doing that?
Posted via Mobile Device