Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-11-2014, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
Yes I'm in love with the idea of the converted truck bed, but. I don't like the Idea that if you sell your truck or it dies you lose out on your investment.
Posted via Mobile Device
Keep factory bed and move fabbed bed to another rig.

I may decide to do this in 12-18 months...2014 is a critical year for me. Stay or go.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2014, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Member

I thought about going with a truck bed with a dove tail like just mow it. The reason I didn't was if the truck breaks down then what do you do. I can hook up my trailer to another vehicle to pull it. I have a blazer as a back up to my truck with a hitch on it. The only advantage I see to a truck bed is getting into city lots were there is a problem with parking. Where I cut there is not a problem with parking. I may buy another small trailer to keep for landscaping and aeration needs only. Another reason I keep the trailer is because I back it right into my garage with everything on it. I don't have to unload anything. Out of the weather and safe. I have the string trimmers and blowers right on the trailer also. If any one is thinking about lifting the 30's into a truck bed FORGET IT. These bad boys are heavy!
Old 01-13-2014, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSantor View Post
I thought about going with a truck bed with a dove tail like just mow it. The reason I didn't was if the truck breaks down then what do you do. I can hook up my trailer to another vehicle to pull it. I have a blazer as a back up to my truck with a hitch on it. The only advantage I see to a truck bed is getting into city lots were there is a problem with parking. Where I cut there is not a problem with parking. I may buy another small trailer to keep for landscaping and aeration needs only. Another reason I keep the trailer is because I back it right into my garage with everything on it. I don't have to unload anything. Out of the weather and safe. I have the string trimmers and blowers right on the trailer also. If any one is thinking about lifting the 30's into a truck bed FORGET IT. These bad boys are heavy!
We are also thinking about adding a truck with landscape to our fleet, deciding the best way to go about it now. I went and checked out the 30" commercial Toro mowers today, they are indeed stout. Most of the features make sense and appear to be overbuilt which is good. Are the toro and exmark commercial 30" mowers different in any significant way, or is it just a brand difference?

I don't need enough toro equipment to get fleet pricing, but dealer said he will knock off $100 per mower since I am buying two...sounds fair to me. I'm also buying a bunch of stihl stuff shortly, plan to order it all at once and see if I can get them down a bit more on a whole package price.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
The setup is no trailer and a truckbed on a ford ranger converted to a trailered with dovetail gate. I like the idea but can't find anyone who makes these in the Midwest.
Can't Knapheide make you one? They're right there in Quincy.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 01-15-2014, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Member

I've got the Toro 30" and it is overall a good piece of equipment. It is as everyone has mentioned before SEVERELY underpowered... I work on mostly REO and Bank owned properties and they rarely keep a timely schedule for maintaining lawns. That being said, the mower itself feels light and nimble and sometimes I forget just how much bigger it really is compared to the 22"s that I use on my city yards. My only real complaint is that when side discharging the grass tends to clump up toward the rear part of the chute. It will never replace my ZT or walk behind just for shear brute force, but it has definately opened a door to many backyards either too small or gates too narrow for the 42" or 48"

www.crcuts.com
'06 Chevy Silverado 1500 4.3 V6-SSSLLLOOW!
'96 GMC 3500 Box TRuck - Debris removal and construction material transport
'91 Ford Ranger-For the little yards and Estimates
'91 Mazda Miata-For general Inspections and bid work

'09 Exmark Lazer Z 60"
'08 Huster Fasttrac 42"
'07 Scag WB 48"
Toro 30" Timemaster
2(Toro 22" Push mowers)

4x7 Trailer
7x14 Trailer
Old 01-15-2014, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRC_PP View Post
I've got the Toro 30" and it is overall a good piece of equipment. It is as everyone has mentioned before SEVERELY underpowered... I work on mostly REO and Bank owned properties and they rarely keep a timely schedule for maintaining lawns. That being said, the mower itself feels light and nimble and sometimes I forget just how much bigger it really is compared to the 22"s that I use on my city yards. My only real complaint is that when side discharging the grass tends to clump up toward the rear part of the chute. It will never replace my ZT or walk behind just for shear brute force, but it has definately opened a door to many backyards either too small or gates too narrow for the 42" or 48"
Um...light and nimble...? TimeMaster or TurfMaster...?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-15-2014, 02:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Timemaster... sorry I should have specified. I talked to the dealer and everyone I've talked to or seen on here cannot for the life of them justify the cost difference based on performance. It works for me though, The handle in the upright position is a definite plus during transit and storage. I cannot speak on the turfmaster though, as I've not had any experiences with one.

www.crcuts.com

'09 Exmark Lazer Z 60"
'08 Huster Fasttrac 42"
'07 Scag WB 48"
Toro 30" Timemaster
2(Toro 22" Push mowers)

4x7 Trailer
7x14 Trailer
Old 01-15-2014, 02:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Just an idea of what it WILL tackle

It does a good job, just hates any wetness or really dense growth. I'd buy another one tomorrow.
Attached Images

www.crcuts.com

'09 Exmark Lazer Z 60"
'08 Huster Fasttrac 42"
'07 Scag WB 48"
Toro 30" Timemaster
2(Toro 22" Push mowers)

4x7 Trailer
7x14 Trailer
Old 01-15-2014, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lawnaspire- I seen you make mention of ranger beds not being made like a trailer but more like lawnjocky, what's the difference or issues with the two?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-15-2014, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There wouldn't be so many posts about these mowers if there wasn't so much interest. I suspect that the bulk of the interest is because they're so inexpensive.

I can't add anything new that hasn't been said before, but I guess it's worth saying again. I have both the Timemaster and the Turfmaster but still have my larger commercial exmark even though I don't have any huge lawns.

1. I consider them disposable mowers because they really aren't that durable and they are cheap. I didn't expect them to last beyond the first season but they're still running fine with no problems whatsoever. Of course, I change the oil and sharpen the blades OFTEN!

2. Neither is underpowered in the sense of engine performance. They are underpowered when it comes to pulling themselves up hills. They just won't do it on their own like real commercial mowers do.

3. They clog up with any moisture whatsoever and on lawns that are overgrown even a few inches. The discharge area really needs to be twice as large. But in the middle of summer when the grass is dry - no problem.

4. They store nice on trailers, are easy to maintain, give a good cut (although w/ no striping) and are so simple my 12 YO son is able to use them.

I only have fiftysome lawns, almost all neighborhood-size, so they work great on almost all of them. If I had a bigger operation there's no way they would hold up, nor would *I* be able to hold up, pushing them up hills. For the lawns with hills I have to use my commercial mower. Again, I consider these disposable and if I have to buy a new one each year I'll do it just because they're so handy and easy.