Register free!

Old 01-07-2014, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Tree trimming above fence line.

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site, but have been reading just about everything on here for about a year now. I work a full time job and cut grass on the side for almost 4 years now. My question is about tree and tree branch trimming above a fence line up to about 50 ft. in the air. I was asked by someone I know what I would charge them to do this. I know how to figure up my pricing on my grass cutting but this one has got me. It's a chain link fence about 650 feet in length and has tree branches from the other property (woods) growing over into their property, that is paved. Tree branches are anywhere from 2" - 6" round all the way down the fence( not in the fence just above it ).I have a chain saw and a gas pole saw, I would have to rent a lift that can be pulled behind my truck so I can raise myself up and cut the limbs, up to about 50 feet ( I think that's the height those lifts will go I'll have to double check). As far as clean most of the cut limbs will be put back into the woods, those that won't will be put in dumpster on site. Thanks guys for any advise that you may give and have a great new year!!
Old 01-07-2014, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBROWN View Post
Hi everyone! I'm new to this site, but have been reading just about everything on here for about a year now. I work a full time job and cut grass on the side for almost 4 years now. My question is about tree and tree branch trimming above a fence line up to about 50 ft. in the air. I was asked by someone I know what I would charge them to do this. I know how to figure up my pricing on my grass cutting but this one has got me. It's a chain link fence about 650 feet in length and has tree branches from the other property (woods) growing over into their property, that is paved. Tree branches are anywhere from 2" - 6" round all the way down the fence( not in the fence just above it ).I have a chain saw and a gas pole saw, I would have to rent a lift that can be pulled behind my truck so I can raise myself up and cut the limbs, up to about 50 feet ( I think that's the height those lifts will go I'll have to double check). As far as clean most of the cut limbs will be put back into the woods, those that won't will be put in dumpster on site. Thanks guys for any advise that you may give and have a great new year!!
I would hire a tree company. Dropping a branch on the fence is going to be an expensive repair
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2014, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
I would hire a tree company. Dropping a branch on the fence is going to be an expensive repair
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the response whiffyspark, but I don't think I could hurt that fence any more than it already is. The fence is old and most of it is leaning over towards the woods. Is there a ( base rate ) when cutting limbs out of a lift over a fence? I know what I would ask per hour to cut grass, I guess I need to make a good guest, time wise then add in the amount of rented lift. Thank guys.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-09-2014, 08:07 AM

Tree Trimming is dangerous work. Even the seasoned pros die doing it sometimes. So I would find and read some safety manuals before doing tree work. I know one of them is to secure yourself to the bucket with a harness.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:17 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Tree Trimming is dangerous work. Even the seasoned pros die doing it sometimes. So I would find and read some safety manuals before doing tree work. I know one of them is to secure yourself to the bucket with a harness.
Sound advise. Based on the OP's present work back ground, simply wanting to know how much someone else would charge base on a description posted is really not enough experience and knowledge for this job, IMHO.
easy-lift guy
Old 01-09-2014, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

This is how I charge for these types of jobs. Price of machine plus my markup percentage. I would charge $75/ hour by however long you think it will take.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-09-2014, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Using a bucket is usually not too good of an idea
e
It'll be cheaper and safer to sub it out.

If you really want to do it, sub out the cutting Parr and you do the clean up
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2014, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Don't Take the RISK

I am the owner of a Tree Service Cherry Hill, NJ and I see this all of the time and my advice to you is simply DON'T take the RISK. I say this for two reasons.

#1. Tree work is DANGEROUS!!! Professional tree works are killed and seriously injured everyday and these guys do this for a living. 50' is a long way up and I have seen more than one "MAN" get 10' off the ground and be FROZEN!!! If you don't have the experience or equipment leave it to the pro's.

#2. and equally important. INSURANCE!!!! If you have standard "landscaper's" Insurance you are probably NOT COVERED!!! Most landscapers Insurance policies do not cover cutting of tree's when the person doing the cutting is elevated off the ground.

SOLUTION: In my opinion you have two options, you could contact a local tree service and sub the work to them or find a local Climber to get the limbs on the ground for you.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwklaudijr View Post
I am the owner of a Tree Service Cherry Hill, NJ and I see this all of the time and my advice to you is simply DON'T take the RISK. I say this for two reasons.

#1. Tree work is DANGEROUS!!! Professional tree works are killed and seriously injured everyday and these guys do this for a living. 50' is a long way up and I have seen more than one "MAN" get 10' off the ground and be FROZEN!!! If you don't have the experience or equipment leave it to the pro's.

#2. and equally important. INSURANCE!!!! If you have standard "landscaper's" Insurance you are probably NOT COVERED!!! Most landscapers Insurance policies do not cover cutting of tree's when the person doing the cutting is elevated off the ground.

SOLUTION: In my opinion you have two options, you could contact a local tree service and sub the work to them or find a local Climber to get the limbs on the ground for you.
Great advice. I cringed when I read the OP intended course of action. No experience and goning up 50 feet with a tow behind lift. Do they even make tow behind lifts that extend that far. The largest I saw was 25 feet.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Member

ztman, the idea of a person with no experience considering doing this job scares me to death and as the owner of a Tree Service is one of my "Pet Peeves"! Not just from a monetary stand point, but from a safety and integrity stand point. The risk versus Reward here is what bothers me most, is the few hundred dollars that could be made here worth the potential of a catastrophic injury? What a lot of guys don't understand is that just because "Tree Guys" make it look easy, doesn't mean it is. Every type of tree reacts differently to being cut and using the wrong technique can be dangerous...to people and property.

As for tow-behind lifts, YES they do make them 50' and higher, and we use them on occasion.