Old 05-19-2015, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

W-9?

I did some work for a real estate/property management company almost a year ago. I sent a bill at the end of the month and never got paid, so after two weeks I emailed the invoice again and suspended service, still nothing. I quit servicing the account and never heard anything about it so I kind of just figured that's how they did business and I wrote it off ($140).

Said company recently contacted me again asking me to do some more work for them and I informed I would be glad to, after I'm paid for services rendered in 2014 plus late fees. The agent was extremely friendly and apologetic and said she would take care of it right away. I get an e mail two days later saying that they would get my check out to me as soon as I can fill out this W-9 and return it. I've never had this happen before, every one else I service just cuts me a check, even my one commercial account, so I'm kind of confused by this. Should I tell them to just send me a check or what? I'm a LLC and licensed to do business and this strikes me as odd.

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2015, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is just my opinion. Personally, I'd demand payment before I submitted anything to them under the premise that "Hey, I'm busy, and I'll get the w-9 to you, but I did the work you asked of me last year, and I did not receive a single cent. Send me the check, and I'll send you the W-9 as soon as I can. Only after I received payment would I send them the form.

To me it seems like they just want you to jump through more hoops. They do not NEED the form in order to render your check.

However, the W-9 is common though not all companies request it. Whether you take more work from them is entirely up to you. At this point after they pay you, simply set the terms of payment up front, unless you want to wait another year to get paid for the "upcoming work".

A lot of these commercial types want to post pay. And that's fine as long as they pay when they say they are going to pay.

In the case of this company, I'd think long and hard about doing any work on credit for them again.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The government requires a company to file a 1099 on anyone they do business with after $300 or $600 per year. So for $140 +late fees, they don't NEED it
Old 05-19-2015, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuallyVette View Post
The government requires a company to file a 1099 on anyone they do business with after $300 or $600 per year. So for $140 +late fees, they don't NEED it
Exactly 100% correct.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cornwallis View Post
I did some work for a real estate/property management company almost a year ago. I sent a bill at the end of the month and never got paid, so after two weeks I emailed the invoice again and suspended service, still nothing. I quit servicing the account and never heard anything about it so I kind of just figured that's how they did business and I wrote it off ($140).

Said company recently contacted me again asking me to do some more work for them and I informed I would be glad to, after I'm paid for services rendered in 2014 plus late fees. The agent was extremely friendly and apologetic and said she would take care of it right away. I get an e mail two days later saying that they would get my check out to me as soon as I can fill out this W-9 and return it. I've never had this happen before, every one else I service just cuts me a check, even my one commercial account, so I'm kind of confused by this. Should I tell them to just send me a check or what? I'm a LLC and licensed to do business and this strikes me as odd.

Thanks!
Is taking two minutes to fill out a standard form worth $140? I'd say yes. Are they a pain in the azz? Probably. Fill it out and get paid, end of story.

"When you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can always count on Paul's vote"
Old 05-19-2015, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuallyVette View Post
Listen, I'm just playing devils advocate. They already called to have more work done. They will likely exceed the minimum threshold. This is corporate America. Fill the form out, it's not a big deal. Get paid.

"When you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can always count on Paul's vote"
Old 05-20-2015, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have filled them out many times for different companies, fill it out, probably get paid, maybe your newest great customer.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a w9 form in my computer, all filled out, just press send. If you need a form, you can download one from the irs website.