Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2014, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noble1 View Post
Thanks for the input. We have been looking at swfl due to the affordability of homes there. Basically everything from tampa metro area to naples. Anyone have any input on the ft myers/cape coral area? That is initially where we looked. Seems I have read quite a bit of negativity about the area, so unsure now.
I do realize the ease of entry into mowing (skills set and finacial) and have seen it myself. Thats why I have found the install side of the business more profitable, being that home owners are scared to try it themselves and many who can mow don't have the skills to cover cnstruction ops.
My initial thought was to move over to construction management for a commerical builder. I then realized how much the schooling is going to effect my current landscape operations, and began thinking more of a big scale construction/install landscaping operation as a final goal after obtaining my degree, and still making the move to FL.
There are guys here who specialize in strictly maintenance and others who strictly do design/install. Kind of sounds like running a mix of services is needed to operate in FL successfully.
As for mowing, what's the standard equipment out there? Here, most residential guys don't do more than a 36 wb or stander, due to small lawn sizes and gates. Seems like a lot of "brag sheets" out there consist of good size ztr's. Are there not many homes with 36" gates for the back lawn?
Also, how about DOT issues? I saw that you are not commercial until 26001 lbs. So there is zero regulation on landscape rigs? Here in CO, they set their commercial limit at 10001 lbs and if you are over 14k you are required to stop fo random roadside inspections they set up at temporary "ports of entry.
Sorry if throwing too much out there, but just truly want to understand FL from guys actually in the field. Thanks again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Lawn care period down here isn't what its cracked up to be man. I promise you if you come down here it better be for construction. The lawn industry is a mess down here. Yes there is tons of lawns to cut but not many want to pay. Most lawns are so small homeowners cut it or they don't pay anything. Yes you can get by doing it if you want to make 25-40k a year anything past that you're going to run into issues your head will hurt. Sure people do it and make way more than I quoted but I would be willing to bet more people have made it into space than become successful wealthy business owners in the lawn industry here this last decade.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's worth the move just for the weather here! lol Your young and you have some experience, I'm sure you'll do fine with the transition and your business will grow with time just as it has where your at.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:33 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by noble1 View Post
Thanks for the input. We have been looking at swfl due to the affordability of homes there. Basically everything from tampa metro area to naples. Anyone have any input on the ft myers/cape coral area? That is initially where we looked. Seems I have read quite a bit of negativity about the area, so unsure now.
I do realize the ease of entry into mowing (skills set and finacial) and have seen it myself. Thats why I have found the install side of the business more profitable, being that home owners are scared to try it themselves and many who can mow don't have the skills to cover cnstruction ops.
My initial thought was to move over to construction management for a commerical builder. I then realized how much the schooling is going to effect my current landscape operations, and began thinking more of a big scale construction/install landscaping operation as a final goal after obtaining my degree, and still making the move to FL.
There are guys here who specialize in strictly maintenance and others who strictly do design/install. Kind of sounds like running a mix of services is needed to operate in FL successfully.
As for mowing, what's the standard equipment out there? Here, most residential guys don't do more than a 36 wb or stander, due to small lawn sizes and gates. Seems like a lot of "brag sheets" out there consist of good size ztr's. Are there not many homes with 36" gates for the back lawn?
Also, how about DOT issues? I saw that you are not commercial until 26001 lbs. So there is zero regulation on landscape rigs? Here in CO, they set their commercial limit at 10001 lbs and if you are over 14k you are required to stop fo random roadside inspections they set up at temporary "ports of entry.
Sorry if throwing too much out there, but just truly want to understand FL from guys actually in the field. Thanks again.
Posted via Mobile Device
I just read over your post, I believe your really over thinking this whole idea of relocating. We don't have the restrictions and laws regarding the DOT that you have in CO, mainly because we don't have any Mountains or Snow. DOT inspections could very well take place for LCO'S here however I have never seen it in 42 years, unless your pulling over 80K I believe your concern is really unfounded.
easy-lift guy
Old 01-09-2014, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Heck, yes, I'd move to FL!

I'll be down there, this time, next year. See ya' there.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl KM55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 01-09-2014, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
I just read over your post, I believe your really over thinking this whole idea of relocating. We don't have the restrictions and laws regarding the DOT that you have in CO, mainly because we don't have any Mountains or Snow. DOT inspections could very well take place for LCO'S here however I have never seen it in 42 years, unless your pulling over 80K I believe your concern is really unfounded.
easy-lift guy
I see more lawn guys getting pulled over by DOT than anyone else when I'm in South Florida. Especially on 441 or 95. However they seem to get away with a lot. I see people running around dragging crap, stuff blowing out, people thrown all over the dump beds laying on debris going down highways here all the time. You see little compartments made for people to get stuffed in behind cabs before the beds made of plywood. I wouldn't live in very many places besides FL so it just maybe worth it.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Great thread for us looking for warm weather place to move !! twice in the past week it has been almost 20 below with wind chill here in NY!! Its tough to sit here for 4.5 months each winter waiting for spring.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:50 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
I see more lawn guys getting pulled over by DOT than anyone else when I'm in South Florida. Especially on 441 or 95. However they seem to get away with a lot. I see people running around dragging crap, stuff blowing out, people thrown all over the dump beds laying on debris going down highways here all the time. You see little compartments made for people to get stuffed in behind cabs before the beds made of plywood. I wouldn't live in very many places besides FL so it just maybe worth it.
If you took the time to read the OP's thread he was asking about weight limitations when traveling on roads. Nearly anywhere police will stop trucks and trailers for unsecured loads or debris falling or flying off trucks or trailers.
easy-lift guy
Old 01-09-2014, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
If you took the time to read the OP's thread he was asking about weight limitations when traveling on roads. Nearly anywhere police will stop trucks and trailers for unsecured loads or debris falling or flying off trucks or trailers.
easy-lift guy
I'm glad you pointed that out because yes it is the same as Colorado. You will need DOT numbers over 10001 and any commercial vehicle must enter weigh stations.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Once you get here you can get out of your DOT number if you stay under combined or gvw 26k but getting here you will need it to cross with lawn equipment trailer etc.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

easylift- Not overreacting. Here in CO, if you are over 14k, you are required to pull over and be subjected to a thorough inspection, where ever State Patrol DOT Enforcement decides to park their "port of entry" van. They just randomly place their van in several different spots around town each day and start red tagging trucks. I was looking to see if FL had the same type of nonsense. That's full DOT inspections on nearly a daily basis for driving around in a 1/2ton truck with dual axle landscape trailer. If I can avoid that type of ridiculousness, it would add weight to my decision to move to FL. Just looking at all pros and cons thoroughly, before making a move. I have rushed to uneducated decisions before, with negative consequences.

UnkownFl- I don't know if I am reading wrong, but it appears your two statements contradict each other. One says if over 10k, you must have DOT #, and the next post says I can drop the DOT# if I stay below 26k. From what I read, I believe its 26k, but can you confirm that for me? Also didn't think about interstate moving, thanks. I would think that this would be me making a personal move with my possessions, so no DOT needed. I would be relocated a business, but not conducting business operations over state lines.