Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-10-2014, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Plenty of irrigation around, our dry season would have most NICE lawns looking like crapola without it. You also have to be a state lis. Irrigation contractor to repair or install irrigation. You have to sit for a state exam and must qualify for that exam, which may entail working for an irrigation company IN THIS STATE for a certain amount of time.
Pretty sure its 4 years under a licensed irrigator or plumber with one year as a foreman just to get a sit pass. Its regulated at the state level and some counties, cities also require you to get a local license. Tampa is one area like that. The best way around that is networking. Hook up with a good irrigator and pest guy and it works out for everybody. The state is tight about contractors because of the rampant fraud of the elderly. People are always knocking on doors telling you your roof is bad, window are bad, stucco needs repair. A lot of scammers down here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-10-2014, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noble1 View Post
FlLandscapes- Thanks for the heads up on licensing. From what I could find with a q
quick look, it does not have a stipulation as to what state the experience was in. And it looks like I can provide affidavits from customers verifying years of experience, since I am self employed.
Posted via Mobile Device
If you do move I wish you luck. Irrigation can be very profitable and I know of many irrigation companies making good livings doing only that. I don't do it and sub it out to a great guy locally. Like patriot said some cities require a separate lis. Like Tampa, punta gorda is the same way.

As far as reciprocal I'm not sure. For pest control it's only in certain states, they didn't recognize my MA lis. So I had to go back to college to qualify. Go gators!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Patriot- How long ago did the licensing requirement take effect? When I do a web search, one of the first results is a Florida State licensing licensing and regulations board website of some sort, and it states no license is required. So I am assuming this is pretty recent, or FL govt is just slow to fix their own reference materials? And is a state license required, because I am seeing some counties saying either state license OR a cert of competency from the county.

Sucks that people are dirty and cause problems for us legit business owners who look forward to actually helping people. And then even worse to scam on old folks. We had a huge problem with that in CA. Guys come up as contractors and work their way into the house and while one distracts, the other rummages through drawers and jewelry boxes. Here in CO, I get a roofing "expert" come by nearly monthly telling me I need a new roof.......I had it replaced 2 yrs ago. Funny when I tell them that lil fact.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-10-2014, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Check the DPBR website. It lists all contractor requirements, applications and testing locations. It has been this way for decades.
Posted via Mobile Device

http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr...ly/sc-new.html

Last edited by Patriot Services; 01-10-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Member

http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/pro/division/Servicesthatrequirealicense_Construction.html

Weird, I go to DBPR website irrigation faq's and it states to you can perform work with either a state license or a cert of competency from a county. And then the link above, goes to a page owned by DBPR comes up under google search. It says if you are installing/repairing irrigation after the backflow preventer, there is no license requiremnt. Either I am reading wrong, there is industry confusion on requirements, or DBPR is a mess with their literature.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-10-2014, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

https://www.myfloridalicense.com/Che...T_DEFN_ID=3267
Old 01-10-2014, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by noble1 View Post
http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/pro/division/Servicesthatrequirealicense_Construction.html

Weird, I go to DBPR website irrigation faq's and it states to you can perform work with either a state license or a cert of competency from a county. And then the link above, goes to a page owned by DBPR comes up under google search. It says if you are installing/repairing irrigation after the backflow preventer, there is no license requiremnt. Either I am reading wrong, there is industry confusion on requirements, or DBPR is a mess with their literature.
Posted via Mobile Device
Use the link I posted. You have to drill down through the construction tab and then the specialty tabs. The catch 22 is you cant get a county cert without a state license.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You can do some work without a license but I believe most is just very minor repair. Usually, to sit for any state test the last year of apprenticeship must be completed in FL in the last 12 months or something along those lines.

Installs as far as any hard scape is going to require a permit that I've came across in this area. Yes you can plant without much worry for anything besides calling in locates. Orlando has grown tremendously if you were in the Navy back then. That whole area where the base use to be is a very nice area called Baldwin Park just look it up on google images. The area has grown. Usually regarded as having the best dinning and shopping in the Southeast. The Downtown area is always ranked as one of the cleanest cities year after year. The north end you speak of Lake Mary is always ranked as one of the best suburbs in the US. This area is full of small newer subdivisions so the yards are very similar. The lots are pretty much around 60x100 with 20ft wall to wall between homes. Sometimes it's a pain and need smaller mower for getting around pool pumps and a/c units. We get tons of rain so it gets swampy and belt drives could be shooting your foot in production. There is tons of competition but it seems like one other could always squeeze in. More people probably quit by July then started and then they regroup next winter to start the low balling all over again.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Orlando as a whole has some tough areas.

http://www.usnews.com/news/slideshow...s-us-cities/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
You can do some work without a license but I believe most is just very minor repair. Usually, to sit for any state test the last year of apprenticeship must be completed in FL in the last 12 months or something along those lines.

Installs as far as any hard scape is going to require a permit that I've came across in this area. Yes you can plant without much worry for anything besides calling in locates. Orlando has grown tremendously if you were in the Navy back then. That whole area where the base use to be is a very nice area called Baldwin Park just look it up on google images. The area has grown. Usually regarded as having the best dinning and shopping in the Southeast. The Downtown area is always ranked as one of the cleanest cities year after year. The north end you speak of Lake Mary is always ranked as one of the best suburbs in the US. This area is full of small newer subdivisions so the yards are very similar. The lots are pretty much around 60x100 with 20ft wall to wall between homes. Sometimes it's a pain and need smaller mower for getting around pool pumps and a/c units. We get tons of rain so it gets swampy and belt drives could be shooting your foot in production. There is tons of competition but it seems like one other could always squeeze in. More people probably quit by July then started and then they regroup next winter to start the low balling all over again.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Patriot- Gotcha. Because even in the faq section of your link, it says the license does not generate a licensing requirement, but is just an alternative to obtaining a local cert. But I guess if a req of getting a cert is to be licensed first, I guess they have you. Thanks for that info. Didn't see that written anywhere. Must be fine print when you try to apply for local cert.
Posted via Mobile Device