Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2014, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

think cubic footage and not square footage

alas, the metal building on the property I bought 7 years ago leaked then. we have caulked all the screws and seams twice over on the roof. the windows leaked, and lots of framing rot and mold now in the old building. I am afraid it was past time to replace it. we tore it down between install and takedowns this year. it was a 30x88, It had 9 foot sidewalls with stick framing, and a 3:12 pitch truss roof that gave me a 13 or so foot peak in the very middle. as far as how much was warehouse space, had an office and 2 bathrooms in the middle 350 square feet or so. ( used to be a church). as far as rack cubic footage, which really underlines what you can store in a building, it had 11,500 cubic feet to put wreaths and boxes in . still hard to believe I ate all that space quickly, and in 2010 started the new building ( then ) 35 foot wide 88 foot long building right beside it with 20ish foot sidewalls and a 4:12 pitch roof for an eventual 26 foot peak. or added 64,000 cubic feet of usable space! That build thread is on here somewhere. if someone knows how, feel free to find it and link it in a post, I don't know how to do that.

I thought both would be plenty until I ran out of employee parking space, but ah, the details. when you go taller, you need a lift to get stuff up and down. and to get lots of boxes and wreaths down daily, you need a pretty decent sized lift. which leads to decent width aisles. and wide aisles get you no storage. and all those bay doors on the new building mean you can't store stuff in front of them. so while we built a beautiful 2 sided middle pallet rack all the way to the ceiling, and built some pallet racks above the bay doors and on the end, our storage for the inventory and customer stuff ended up being about 20,000 cubic feet. we could've bumped that another 10,000, but the guys already gripe about moving the lift around now. moving the lift around is a huge issue to go from aisle to aisle. you have to leave room at the ends to swing it, and you can't have the aisle too narrow or the guys run the lift into the pallet racks. the truth is, ideally you have 4 foot deep racks against the 1st wall, then an 8 foot aisle, then 9 foot double sided rack in middle, then 8 foot aisle, then another 4 foot racks over the loading doors and between them. and maybe a big opening in the middle of the middle rack to get the lift through it. I think we will get another lift just for the new side and to have a spare, especially since the new side will be tall now too.

we had really reached the point of if we had to put everything in one building and be able to tear down the old building and build new, it had to be this year. If we waited another year, then we would've had to rent warehouse space somewhere else, move it over there, then build, then move it back.

as to the new add on, I probably will regret this, but I am just going to start at the 20 foot side height of the new building a few years back, do a fairly flat 1:12 pitch over the existing 30x80 slab and end up with a 17.5 foot sidewall or so. will still have 350 square feet of office/bathroom space, but no weird hallway between office and bathrooms, and just one bathroom, so a much better office space. but will have storage above the office bathroom space too . so, doing the math, an average of 18.75 usable height, times 2050=38,437 plus 350x8ft tall=2800 cu ft, so a total of 41,237, or another 20,000 cubic feet of new air space.

I considered and ran the numbers for a 35' sidewall and going to the peak of the newish building I built a few years back. but the engineering on a wind load on a sidewall that tall is brutal. would've had to do all steel posts on that side and some pretty chunky steel beams/trusses to get to the other peak. other factors, like finding pallet racks that tall, although they exist, it would be fairly ugly, and my builders uncomfortableness with that idea nixed it. and I will look back on this statement and regret it, but right now doubling my previous cubic footage to replace a leaky building seems fine, NOW.

I will try to post costs and take and post pics as the progress goes.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You need to throw up some pictures. That's a lot of info to not give us a sneak peak at your setup. My building is just a 30x45 all metal built in 2010. I already had a building so I didn't have to invest a lot in storage costs. My building has 12' sidewalls, 20' roll up door, and one walk door. The roll up, the walls and ceiling is all insulated. We got down to 14F the other day and with no heat the building didn't even go below 40F. My unit was $22k plus $8K in concrete and a whole lot of rebar. I may have $2000 just in rebar but it's better to over build then under build.

I'm sticking with the C9 install with no metal frame stuff anymore which helps keep the average storage needs per client to around 10 cubic feet. I also want to minimize having to do the dreaded fall inspections on a grand scale by avoiding the higher maintenance stuff. I'll take replacing an easy to find bad C9 socket over having to use the Magic Box to find problems any day.

You definitely have a lot of expenses with your storage setup and have to think about things on a whole different level. I never really think about my true cost per cubic foot for storage but I'm assuming you have the numbers dedicated to memory on what your true cost is and what you need to charge.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 01-12-2014, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

we are mostly c9's, proabably 90/10% customers now verses links, but mini lights, cords, wreaths, garland, all those need storage. our c9 spools take up a 2x2x2 space. so right off the bat that is 8 cubic feet. then I would say our customers average 2 boxes each of either cords, mini's, and or garland, and at least one wreath. the customers that only have c-9s are few and far between. we also have a ton of stuff stored that is: new product unsold, used product still good but unsold, new and used boxes that are empty and not yet used to store stuff, lots of clips, bulbs, spare parts, tools, ladders, and misc items for 7 trucks.

All I know is my storage needs grow every year. as we carry more new and used inventory, and add customers, we continue to build racks, whether using steel pallet racks or building custom storage racks out of wood. while growth is one thing, This is partly my problem, I just also can't bring myself to throw stuff away. for example, I probably have 20-30 wreaths that are over 7 years old, all or mostly burnt out bulbs, older sierra foliage that do not have mixed noble . they look fine, but I only keep them around to donate to the inside of churches that need a 4, 5, 6 foot wreath, or we use them for the occaisional unpowered commercial situation where they also go behind us and decorate the wreaths with ornaments, metallic ribbon, etc. I also have more than a few metal display frames, like angels or toy soldiers, that folks just elected to replace rather than rebulb. I have sold a few used pieces over the years and then rebulbed them, so can't throw them out.