Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2014, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I strictly do L&O work now, but five or six years ago when i had more time than customers, i marketed core aeration to my existing customer base of 99% St Aug lawns.

I believe about 20-25% agreed to the service, so i rented an aerator for a week and made some nice money.

I found the best results were to the older, obviously compacted lawns. Especially if they had larger trees where the root system was also contributing to the compaction .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-09-2014, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
There might be a place for aeration if the objective is to get growing media where it should be. Like some organic matter into straight sand. On my grasses, I need to replace the toxic subsoil and coral growing media with clean sand, but they are fine textured enough that repeated topdressings with sand will accomplish that. Given the high water and nutrient requirements of St Augustine, I know it is easier to deal with on sand heavily amended. As I said. my ideal lawn is sand amended with 30% organic matter.
No question there would be a need. Another one would be fairy ring protocol of aerating and top dressing with disease free soil. I just think as a blanket statement on sandy soils SA verticutting would be in higher demand
Old 01-09-2014, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I almost always sign up another customer while doing verticutting. The compaction from mower tires is real for sure. One other sign of that compaction is the differing weeds growing in those ruts and not elswhere in the lawn because some weeds are more prevalent in compacted soil. I don't think Chris has a lot of hacked lawns with mower ruts though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
I am under the same impression on the aeration on SA and aeration. In our area Scotts really pushes this service and not many others any more....I think Massey but the general consensus is that Aeration is not often needed with the exception of some areas such as "the landing strips" on either side of the driveway where the owners step out of their vehicle every day in the same spot and walk the same path to pavers. For this I honestly have told people to go buy a foot aeration device from Depot or Lowes as the cost of aeration from me is really not a good return on investment IMHO in most cases for those small effected areas. That or change the behavior of the same parking spot/walking path.
With Sand being on the larger side for soil the thought I think is that it is much like a "playball pin" at Mc Donalds. When the kid jumps in it just moves the balls /soil particles over a little. That has been my experience personally and the example that comes to mind is taking over a lawn in which the previous LCO did not change patterns often if at all. It does not take a once very apparent rutted lawn and have the site diminished within a small number of visits.

Chris may be experiencing different soil structures , which given the vast possible changes even within Florida is entirely possible.

I am eagerly watching from a distance how his renovation side of the business progresses. I am still playing with the idea of marketing more verticutting as the few I have did have been profitable in of course a learning experience and IMHO have helped the turf a lot. The cool thing you mentioned when I called FL Landscape is future customers walk right up to you when they see you performing the service....intrigued and ready to sign up.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

All my zoysia lawns are brown while my st.Augustine are green. Zoysia lawns only are only nice to walk on with bare feet in the summer and that's about it. St.Augustine is my favorite grass to cut.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-09-2014, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTPTURF View Post
I strictly do L&O work now, but five or six years ago when i had more time than customers, i marketed core aeration to my existing customer base of 99% St Aug lawns.

I believe about 20-25% agreed to the service, so i rented an aerator for a week and made some nice money.

I found the best results were to the older, obviously compacted lawns. Especially if they had larger trees where the root system was also contributing to the compaction .
Posted via Mobile Device
BINGO. A lot of my St. Aug lawns have either large palms or trees or both that are creating compaction due to the roots. Our soils here, or at least the soils on my properties is very good rich dirt. I have one account in a neighborhood that has pretty big oaks on every single property. Every single lawn in this neighborhood(well, at least the fronts) can greatly benefit from Aeration.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
I almost always sign up another customer while doing verticutting. The compaction from mower tires is real for sure. One other sign of that compaction is the differing weeds growing in those ruts and not elswhere in the lawn because some weeds are more prevalent in compacted soil. I don't think Chris has a lot of hacked lawns with mower ruts though.
Excellent point and one I was going to make. One easy sign of compaction is dollarweed and creeping dayflower. I have a property with about 20-K of Floratam that is only 3.5 years old, but they installed pretty decent sized oaks around the entire front. Long story short, both of those weeds have been a problem for the past 3.5 years. This lawn could greatly benefit from Aeration. Think about all the yardboys who run 60" mowers on tiny lots, compaction city. Also think about lawns that have say 2-K or so of turf. Even if you run a 21" on that lawn, its so small foot traffic is going to always be a problem. Needless to say, I think there is a big need for Aeration here. I just need to get your average St. Augustine customer on board with it.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
BINGO. A lot of my St. Aug lawns have either large palms or trees or both that are creating compaction due to the roots. Our soils here, or at least the soils on my properties is very good rich dirt. I have one account in a neighborhood that has pretty big oaks on every single property. Every single lawn in this neighborhood(well, at least the fronts) can greatly benefit from Aeration.
I wasn't trying to say there isnt a benefit. Sand will actually compact too because of low tensile strength it crushes down and compacts because of it.

I like the look of well maintained St. Augustine myself but man do those reel cut lawns Gardner and greendoc are maintaining look awesome. I think I would prefer reel cut hybrid Bermuda over zoysia, but that's all based in theory and not actual experience.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
Excellent point and one I was going to make. One easy sign of compaction is dollarweed and creeping dayflower. I have a property with about 20-K of Floratam that is only 3.5 years old, but they installed pretty decent sized oaks around the entire front. Long story short, both of those weeds have been a problem for the past 3.5 years. This lawn could greatly benefit from Aeration. Think about all the yardboys who run 60" mowers on tiny lots, compaction city. Also think about lawns that have say 2-K or so of turf. Even if you run a 21" on that lawn, its so small foot traffic is going to always be a problem. Needless to say, I think there is a big need for Aeration here. I just need to get your average St. Augustine customer on board with it.
Seems to always be in the compaction, almost exclusively
Old 01-09-2014, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I wasn't trying to say there isnt a benefit. Sand will actually compact too because of low tensile strength it crushes down and compacts because of it.

I like the look of well maintained St. Augustine myself but man do those reel cut lawns Gardner and greendoc are maintaining look awesome. I think I would prefer reel cut hybrid Bermuda over zoysia, but that's all based in theory and not actual experience.
I don't have any hybrid Bermuda(yet), but I know it is a lot of work as it needs 2x/week cutting in the summer. Def. wouldn't be bad as your making a lot of money doing that, but it may be difficult as rain can really mess that up. I would like to see some hybrid Bermuda in person myself.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Seems to always be in the compaction, almost exclusively
Yes, I agree 100%. I hate when that weed gets in a lawn, it is a PITA.