Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2014, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
I don't have any hybrid Bermuda(yet), but I know it is a lot of work as it needs 2x/week cutting in the summer. Def. wouldn't be bad as your making a lot of money doing that, but it may be difficult as rain can really mess that up. I would like to see some hybrid Bermuda in person myself.
Large patch of zoysia (formerly zoysia patch) is a real kick in the nuts too though. You having this issue?
Old 01-09-2014, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Im now up to 6 houses with Zoysia of my own. I also have a palmetto, Seville, and floratam yard i will be aerifying and another floratam that really needs it. Also going to keep networking with others for more jobs...going to be a very busy year!
Posted via Mobile Device
You may need to learn how to take care of "Fescue'?
Old 01-09-2014, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
You may need to learn how to take care of "Fescue'?
Hahaha Larry....we shall see, we shall see....from what I have heard, its a breeze compared to the stuff down here!
Old 01-09-2014, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Large patch of zoysia (formerly zoysia patch) is a real kick in the nuts too though. You having this issue?
Yea, 2 of my Zoysia lawns have it. One is a new one I just started, but the other Ive been doing about 3 years and it shows up every year. Speaking of Aeration, that one is in dire need of it....gotta get them to let me do it this year. Back looks like crapola, compacted as heck.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Yea, 2 of my Zoysia lawns have it. One is a new one I just started, but the other Ive been doing about 3 years and it shows up every year. Speaking of Aeration, that one is in dire need of it....gotta get them to let me do it this year. Back looks like crapola, compacted as heck.
Between reel mowing and zoysia patch it's probably good we both have greendoc on speed dial I told him I was going to fly out to oahu and buy him dinner.......nice place to visit, we can make it a table for three! Wishful thinking, Hawaii is definitely on the bucket list though.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Yes, aerate, get trees casting shade thinned or cut back. Armada or Heritage, followed by Prostar.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 01-09-2014, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I don't have any hybrid Bermuda(yet), but I know it is a lot of work as it needs 2x/week cutting in the summer. Def. wouldn't be bad as your making a lot of money doing that, but it may be difficult as rain can really mess that up. I would like to see some hybrid Bermuda in person myself.
Hybrid bermuda might have problems with all of the rain unless it is one of the new varieties that are partially shade tolerant. I am maintaining two Celebration lawns and one Tifgrand lawn. Both of those are doing much better than the common or older hybrids at this time of the year. Not enough sun and too much water will actually slow down bermuda. It is not like St Augustine.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Between reel mowing and zoysia patch it's probably good we both have greendoc on speed dial I told him I was going to fly out to oahu and buy him dinner.......nice place to visit, we can make it a table for three! Wishful thinking, Hawaii is definitely on the bucket list though.
I know a good steak house on the edge of Waikiki. This one is not for the tourists. It is first class.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

[QUOTE=greendoctor;4933034]I know a good steak house on the edge of Waikiki. This one is not for the tourists. It is first class.

I could meet gardner in San Diego for the second leg but I'm afraid he wouldn't leave.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
No question there would be a need. Another one would be fairy ring protocol of aerating and top dressing with disease free soil. I just think as a blanket statement on sandy soils SA verticutting would be in higher demand
Especially when trying to remedy SA severely mismanaged in the past. The only time I have seen thatched SA in my town are the lawns that are scalped, then fertilized. Wash, rinse repeat. The ones that are just scalped naturally covert to weeds. The SA lawns that are not cut too low, consequently not needing to be "greened up" after being cut within an inch of their life never need it. Of course, this is on SA growing on heavy red clay. On sand, SA, stays pretty thin. People do not water or fertilize it enough to cause problems.