Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2014, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Different sized mowers for different sized lawns

I am courious what the largest turf area you would mow
if you were having a man doing the cutting.
Here is the sizes
36",48",52" all walk behinds with sulkies.
For your example give a bit of reasoning.

Here I have little compition using standers or walks such as above just courious if I am using them wise . Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-09-2014, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

we cut around 250 lawns weekly last year and our biggest mower is a 52". Our biggest residential lawns are less than an acre, avg. size 1/4 acre to 1/3 acre lots. One crew has a 21" toro, 36" Turf tracer and 48" Turf tracer. Other crew that mows slightly larger neighborhoods has a 21" toro, 36" Turf Tracer 48" Turf Tracer and a 52" stander. We 36" and 48" exmark backups ready to go at all times. 52" stander could be substituted with a 60" mower, but the deal we got with 100 hrs on it was too good to pass up on it.
I have found that most gates will not fit the 52" but will accommodate, a 48" mower, and many gates that wont fit a 48" will fit a 36". Very few lawns require the 21" mower due to a small gate or odd access to backyard, and we price those accordingly.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

61" for everything. Time is money and it's worked for me for 14 years and will continue to till I die. I laugh at gates. Just run them over or take them out hahaha! There are no gates where I'm from. Rural east bumfk. I do have one place that I just remove a section every time, takes 1 minute maybe two. Seriously though go as big as possible. I think a 52 feels like a child's toy.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

"Back in the day"

48 walk behinds with sulkys (two of them) stuffed in the back of a pick up truck with some wooden ramps was THE most common lawn mowing set up in the North East.

It is still very viable. Two guys on a crew used to knock out a LOT of lawns with just that.
We also discovered you can fit one 52" walk behind (tilt back the deck and ride up over the wheel wells) and a 48" in the same pick up truck.

Im not so sure bumping up to a 52" made THAT much of a difference on the ground... but it did on paper..
Old 01-10-2014, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was looking for square footage talk .

My thought is like a 36" would be good up to a 10k lawn then a
48" up to 15k
So on. Where would you put what mower.
Even if it's to mow those lawns all day long.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-11-2014, 04:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35DollarLawns View Post

48" up to 15k
Posted via Mobile Device
depends on gates honestly. If you have wide open lawns use the biggest you can fit. If you have a lot of lawns with gated backyards go measure to see how many you can only fit a 36" mower vs 48" and go from there. there is no set answer.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35DollarLawns View Post

48" up to 15k
Posted via Mobile Device
In 17 years I have never measured a yard. But, I have a 48,36 and a 21 and remember what works for me my not work for you.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok Rollos me jede devating a bit...
Say it's not gated but
It was a completely open body of turf approximately 50x50' front yard
A left side by the house that is 6 foot wide and as deep as the house with bd on the house side and drainage stone in a clean ditch.
The back yard is divided in two, the left side is 12'x12' opens and is edged with beds a patio ect. What decides it is a bed as well
The right side of the back is about a 30' area
The driveway is on the right side of the front lane and occupies the space unill hitng he back
There is also a 12' strip along the driveway to the neighbors lawn there are large evergreen trees along the back and right side.

I know that may be hard to follow, sorry. It's about a 1/2 ace lot
My issue would be I know a 60" could mow it , but will tare the back if you mow anything but a circle yet they 52" will do fine yet it still those grass in beds at every move...
The 36" is likely he best fit, yet would take to long by the budget.
So I was asking sizes to know if others would say its just going to be more money and use the 36" type of deal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-11-2014, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I too live in a rural area, and run nothing but 60 inch mowers. I also have never run a walk-behind, of any size, so have no expertise there. However, from reading your posts, I think the most simple approach would be to try different mowers on different properties and see which seems to be the most efficient.

Again, with no expertise, I find it difficult to understand having so many different sizes of cutting decks. I can see having something like a 32" walk-behind which will fit through virtually all your gates and one larger machine for everything else.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOturkey View Post
I too live in a rural area, and run nothing but 60 inch mowers. I also have never run a walk-behind, of any size, so have no expertise there. However, from reading your posts, I think the most simple approach would be to try different mowers on different properties and see which seems to be the most efficient.

Again, with no expertise, I find it difficult to understand having so many different sizes of cutting decks. I can see having something like a 32" walk-behind which will fit through virtually all your gates and one larger machine for everything else.
Do most of your properties look the same and are laid out the same way?

I run a 21" Honda, 26" exmark metro, 36" Hustler ZTR, and a Dane 52" Stander.
Some properties I can use the stander on exclusively. Some I can use the ZTR on exclusively. Some are a mixture of self propelled and one of the big ones. I have one that's a 1/2 acre property but my 52" won't fit in the gate, so I have to use the 36" on the whole lawn. That 3)" comes in handy on some of my residential a that don't want bagged and aren't very big, especially when they are in a row.
Posted via Mobile Device