Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-11-2014, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a solo guy. My trailer has a 36" belt drive WB and a 61" ZTR. This past year I started to carry an old crappy craftman push mower to do one property around a pool. That's the only place I use that mower. There's not much I can do with my set up. the 36" is a tad small, but it fits through gates and it's also big enough to do a 1/4 acre lot if needed. Just isn't super fast. The 61" is my workhorse and does 80% of my lawns. I have no intentions of changing anything this year. I might look at a 36" stander in another season or two. I like the WB but sometimes it's rough on the body, I'm not getting any younger.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I used to cut a 3 acre place with a Ferris 36". Theres a lot of factor, but smaller will do what a bigger mower will do and may be the best choice if you only have a limited number of large properties.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The biggest mower that will fit and not rut the lawn is the best mower.

Now if you can not afford a 60" then a 54" would be the best, in not a 54" then a 48", until the biggest you can afford to own is a 36" then that is the best for you.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I run a 60" and a 46"
90% of the yards I do I use the 60
The 46 I use at the cemetery I do it takes about 10 min longer to do the mowing but saves me almost an hour with the trimming
Try different equipment until you find what works for you
Old 01-12-2014, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You've got to figure it out for yourself. You look at the lawn, figure out if there are any gates to worry about and then go with the mower that makes the most sense.

Is it worth moving your 36" mower to get to your 48" that sits in front of it on the trailer if it's only gonna save you two minutes of mowing time at the most? Not if your a one man mowing machine, if you have a crew of 2-3 then it is probably worth it. But your solo because if you were running a crew then you would have been able to work out what mowers work best on what lawns. Also think about where your gonna place your mowers on the trailer the night before.

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 01-12-2014, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashgrove landscaping View Post
61" for everything. Time is money and it's worked for me for 14 years and will continue to till I die. I laugh at gates. Just run them over or take them out hahaha! There are no gates where I'm from. Rural east bumfk. I do have one place that I just remove a section every time, takes 1 minute maybe two. Seriously though go as big as possible. I think a 52 feels like a child's toy.
I used to cut for a family business in upstate ny, the lack of fenced areas is real nice and makes running only 60" with a 48 wb (running maybe five hours a week) and 21 push (running maybe 1 hour a week) really easy.

I would love to run only 60" mowers but if you're cutting residentials around here your most efficienct set ups include nothing over 52".
Posted via Mobile Device