Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-05-2014, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Only option for ethanol free gasoline here in CT is 5 gallon can of 93 or a smaller quantity of premix at some local power equipment dealers, but the price of the 5 gallon can is $80!!!!! WOW.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Exmarkking, try mixing up a fresh batch of fuel. Use a good quality 2 stroke oil. I use either the Stihl oil in the 6 packs from the dealer, or Lucas semi synthetic. I also make sure I use Stabil. Make sure it is mixed at the proper ratio (friend mixed the fuel in question). Had the same problem as you and it was either bad fuel or too heavy of a mixture. Hard starting, idled fine, mid-range good but sputtered and wanted to die at wide open speeds. I mixed a fresh tank exactly 50 to one and it started 2nd full and ran like a top using premium grade fuel. I only use fuel from one of the major oil companies for my handhelds. I poured the fuel in question into the snow blower and burned it that way (no waste). It is a Stihl blower. I stay away from marine 2 cycle oil as it is designed for water cooled engines that run at a lower temp and rpm. Make sure to put the oil and Stabil in the can before filling as you get a better mix. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I have cups that have mix ratios marked on them for 16 to 1 up to 50 to 1 and marks for ounces down to 1/3 ounce. I use them regularly and I have highlighted the ounce column so my trifocals don't screw me up. These cups have been available at Johnson/Evinrude outboard dealers and may still be available. My trailers have one in each and several in my shop. They are particularly good for measuring Star Tron and Carbon Free for 5 gallon jugs as less than one ounce is mixed with 5 gallons. Star Tron is available at most power equipment dealers, but ValvTect Carbon Free is only at marine supply companies.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think I have the same cup. Mine is called ratio right and all the motor cross riders use them. I'm going to go up the road tomorrow and get some pure gas and see if it changed anything. Think it will be noticeable soon or will it take a while? I know about how much fuel I use each week so I might just start going up there on Sundays and filling up for the week. I'm not to concerned about the two trucks I have, it's the small 2-stroke stuff I'm worried about. Plus they sale off road diesel which is good for the bobcat. Do you know of a way to make me a diesel transfer tank out of a plastic 55 gallon drum? I think I just need a drum and a Manuel pump to fit the hole on top.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2014, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Are you hauling this drum around in the truck? Highway boys might not like it! Your insurance guy might not like it either! Slip tank is the only way to go!
Old 02-06-2014, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Handhelds & gas/oil mixture

I use Stihl & Kawasaki trimmers & Stihl/Husky blowers and my Stihl trimmers, which I've had for over 6 yrs used to give me a lot of problems with the carbs. After following a lot of threads on here, and doing other research, I decided to go with non-ethanol gas (only one station in our area sells it) at 89 octane, and the Stihl top-of-the-line synthetic (HP Ultra). Bottom line---stopped having problems. I don't drain my handhelds over the winter (probably should, but I don't) and I started my Kombi 110 yesterday with the pole pruner attachment on the second pull and it ran great while I cut up a lot of tree limbs down in our recent ice storm. I hadn't used it since at least Nov.

Input from my local Husky rep, said that one of the large local LCO's went to the pre-mix gas/oil and for him it was cost effective because he no longer had to deal with his guys screwing up by putting in straight gas in the handhelds, and other problems he had with mixing his own.

It would probably be worth trying some of the pre-mix (Sthil Moto-Mix, or other) on one of your units and run a tank or two or three through it to see how it responds. My Husky & Kawasaki handlhelds run great on the Stihl oil/gas mixture without any problems.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Non-ethanol gas is definitely worth it. Not only do I use it in all my handhelds, but I where I work we run outboard boats for a living. When they switched to ethanol fuel we started having problems with the outboards. A year or two later non-ethanol fuel became available. We switched back to non-ethanol fuel and the problems stopped.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
I think I have the same cup. Mine is called ratio right and all the motor cross riders use them. I'm going to go up the road tomorrow and get some pure gas and see if it changed anything. Think it will be noticeable soon or will it take a while? I know about how much fuel I use each week so I might just start going up there on Sundays and filling up for the week. I'm not to concerned about the two trucks I have, it's the small 2-stroke stuff I'm worried about. Plus they sale off road diesel which is good for the bobcat. Do you know of a way to make me a diesel transfer tank out of a plastic 55 gallon drum? I think I just need a drum and a Manuel pump to fit the hole on top.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, its noticeable. You need to turn down the idle for starters. Much more power in pure gas(about 30%). Someone else here gave a terrific explanation in the past but I don't remember who.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So this morning I went to the truck stop up the road and got pure 90 octane gas. I went back to the shop and drained everything I own and mixed up the new fuel with synthetic 2 stroke oil @ 50:1. Let's see how it runs. The station was 10 miles from the shop and the pure gas was a little more than regular ethonol gas. So it will cost me a little more in fuel/time to get to the station and a little more per gallon for the pure gas. I think it will be worth it to not have so many carb problems throughout the year though. I'll keep y'all posted in a day or two when I run them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2014, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
So this morning I went to the truck stop up the road and got pure 90 octane gas. I went back to the shop and drained everything I own and mixed up the new fuel with synthetic 2 stroke oil @ 50:1. Let's see how it runs. The station was 10 miles from the shop and the pure gas was a little more than regular ethonol gas. So it will cost me a little more in fuel/time to get to the station and a little more per gallon for the pure gas. I think it will be worth it to not have so many carb problems throughout the year though. I'll keep y'all posted in a day or two when I run them.
Posted via Mobile Device
You should notice the difference right away and within a few tanks you will think it is a new blower. Hope this fixes everything.