Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-07-2014, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Another newbie asking about a ZTM!

Well, I'm really struggling on which ZTM to buy! I don't like asking all y'all such a redundant question but I want to buy the best one for my situation.

I'm a firefighter and my 13 yr old son helps me.

Here's what we cut: 20-30 hrs/week, mostly weeds, not real nice lawns, some lawns get pretty high grass when we get to it, and I may be getting me a cemetery here shortly.

I'm thinking Hustler X1 or X1i or John Deere 920a
I really don't care as long as it suits my needs, so make other suggestions if you think applicable
I got $8,000 tops to spend, prefer less

Any feedback is VERY much appreciated!!
Old 01-07-2014, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't go with the X-1i if your cutting tall stuff. How tight are the cemetery stones? because you may have to get a smaller mower for that.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 01-07-2014, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another newbie asking about a ZTM!

John Deere will give you the best cut in any condition. High or low grass, wet or dry.

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Stones are either very close(need push mower) or a good 6-8 feet, plenty of room. Probably not an issue on size, won't help or hinder...
Old 01-07-2014, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Member

+1 for deere, the only downside is i'd give lazers a 9/10 on hills and the deere a 8/10. That being said deere is the best for the money hands down right now, in my opinion.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsullards View Post
Well, I'm really struggling on which ZTM to buy! I don't like asking all y'all such a redundant question but I want to buy the best one for my situation.

I'm a firefighter and my 13 yr old son helps me.

Here's what we cut: 20-30 hrs/week, mostly weeds, not real nice lawns, some lawns get pretty high grass when we get to it, and I may be getting me a cemetery here shortly.

I'm thinking Hustler X1 or X1i or John Deere 920a
I really don't care as long as it suits my needs, so make other suggestions if you think applicable
I got $8,000 tops to spend, prefer less

Any feedback is VERY much appreciated!!
Everybody will have there own opinion and personally with the two your thinking about I'd go with the Hustler X1 or X1i it's a better machine by far. There are other manufacturers out there that make good machines in the price range you quoted like Toro, Exmark and Scag just to mention a few, you may want to check on those. If you're talking about mowing in tight areas you may also want too consider a Stander of some type, they weigh 300 to 400lbs less than aa ztr, there more maneuverable and for the most part quicker than most of the zero turn stuff, just a suggestion.
Blowers:Stihl BR 600 BR 600 BR 200 Trimmers: Stihl FS 110 Stihl FS 90
Edgers: Stihl FC 90&75 Echo BRD 280 Pole Saw: Stihl HT 75 Hedge Trimmer: Stihl HL 45 HS 45

Last edited by ric1; 01-08-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Using a stander instead is another good point I keep forgetting to say in my posts. I have some very large properties 2-7 acres so it isn't feasible to change out my ztr for a stander but on my 1/2 acre properties this past Spring my mower may or may not have started to leave some ruts on properties. I go two directions on each property changing each week, one property I had to change after mid May and start going two separate directions then I started with.

Back to the point, standers are usually $1000 -$1500 less then ztr and weigh substantially less. I personally like Scag v-ride's the best but that was only driving them around at mower shows. It seems like LS is split down the middle between getting a Scag V-ride or an Exmark Vantage/Toro Grandstand.

Back to my original post:
Hustler X-one $8,500
Scag Tiger Cat $8,600
Exmark E-seriex $8,800
These were all 60" ztr prices.

Im pretty sure any machine with Green paint is going to be $1,000-$2,000 more.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 01-08-2014, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a Snapper Pro dealer nearby, go check them out. You can get a highly capable mower from them for well under 8 grand. A little over 8 grand will get you an S200XT 61 inch with a Vanguard big block engine. Of course, if you're going to be doing cemeteries, you might want to stick to a 48 inch deck.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you Michael and others giving me input. I actually went around all day looking at mowers again today so its about crunch time. Got a deere I'm going to look at Sat. The Deere I'm going to check out is an almost new 2013 JD920m with 19 hrs and $7000, I thought a pretty good price.

Other than that I believe its the hustler x-one I like the best. Think I gotta check around better on the Hustler for price. I was quoted $9100 for the x-one for a "best" price.

Thanks, and be safe out there!

Brooks
Old 01-09-2014, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Member

On the X-1, have you considered getting the rear disharge deck? In the tall grass which is not something you want manicured it will cut and drop it instead of recutting and mulching, so won't clump as much. In a cemetery, it is narrower between headstones as there is no chute, and does not throw clippings on the headstones so you have less blowing to do. Only disadvantage with the rear discharge is that it literally cuts and spits, so if you cut longer grass that you want a nice finsh on you need to not let it grow too much between cuts or you get a lot of clippings over the surface...it doesn't mulch. But I thought of it right away for you.