6.7 Cummins Diesel 11 39.29%
6.6 Duramax Diesel 6 21.43%
6.0 Vortec Gas 10 35.71%
None of the above. I don't know why I put a fourth option.. 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2014, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

how many miles/year do you drive?
are you looking for a long term investment or a truck to turn over in 3-5 years?
Old 01-14-2014, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone for the input! I'm surprised the 6.0 won the poll. I guess if you combine the diesel categories v. the gas category diesel would have def. won. All how you interpret data I suppose.

My six liter crapped out this weekend and rather than trying to fix it (more than temporarily) I got it running good enough to trade in and financed a brand new (2013 leftover) Duramax. Straight cab, white, loaded. I'm in love. With the amount of towing I do and to get the full benefits of my dump trailer, I figured Diesel was the way to go and as I've had some health issues in the past year and a half I figured I'd go with the chevy (love the power seats) to make sure I'm as comfortable as possible when I have to be in my truck for extended periods of time. After all it is my only vehicle and I think I'd regret getting another gasser. With any luck by the time the thing is paid off, it will still have retained most of its value which may be hard to say for a gasser, who knows though. My last truck was a rust bucket piece of ****, and even with the pretty low mileage had a ton of problems including the engine and tranny :/

Definitely a different driving experience than the last truck or any other truck I've had for that matter. My main concern really (besides the cost) is flashy-ness. I definitely don't want customers getting the wrong idea, but I think the color and the straight cab exude professionalism. The new truck is pretty boxy which will take some getting used to for plowing tight residential spots. I just couldn't see getting another older truck and having to deal with the stress and added costs of the inevitable repairs. The truck should be paid off before the warranty runs out. Hopefully all works out well.
I will post pics soon. I'm happier than a pig in ****. Thanks again for the input guys, as always it was very helpful.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Congrats on the purchase. The duramax/allison is a solid truck. The body style you bought seems to hold up very well to rusting out. That style has been out since 07 and I've yet to see one rusted out.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dude View Post
Congrats on the purchase. The duramax/allison is a solid truck. The body style you bought seems to hold up very well to rusting out. That style has been out since 07 and I've yet to see one rusted out.
Thank you! I'm excited. I didn't get the undercoat because my dad said (and very adamantly at that) it was "a waste of money." If I feel its neccesary down the road I'll just do it myself. Probably throw in a bedliner, backrack and toolbox within the year but other than that I'll leave it bone stock til the warranty is up and its paid off.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How many miles on your 6.0 when you traded it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-15-2014, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

just under 90k but the truck was woooped
Old 01-22-2014, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
6.7 cummins are strong and 6.6 duramax are strong as well. The cummins will be easier to work on than the duramax. I don't really see pm being more on a diesel, but I do all my own work. Diesels tend to hold up better than gassers but when the do break down then it will cost more. Remember the higher initial cost will be made when you sell it or trade it in. No one wants a 6.0 vortec with 190,000 on it but people will want a diesel with 190,000. The only thing you have working against you is the emissions junk they put on the lml dmax and the 6.7 cummins now. I've had better luck with diesel than gas but I also have owned more diesels than gas.
hey Diesel-What are your thoughts on a 2014 6.7 Cummins diesel with a 3.42 rear axle ratio? I have a 24ft trailer with three zero turns. Salesman told me I will be fine. I am interested to hear what others think.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasscutter24 View Post
hey Diesel-What are your thoughts on a 2014 6.7 Cummins diesel with a 3.42 rear axle ratio? I have a 24ft trailer with three zero turns. Salesman told me I will be fine. I am interested to hear what others think.
I've never had any experience with the 3.42's just the 3.73's and 4.10's. I do know people who pull 43 foot goose necks with the 3.42's and have no trouble at all. Some actually prefer them over the 3.73's because they don't turn so many RPM's when cruising down the highway. Back before they came out with the six speed transmissions and the VGT turbos I would have probably been against the 3.42's ,but know I would definitely consider them. My concern would be the DEF system I don't know if they have had trouble with it yet or not ,but GM differently has.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I've never had any experience with the 3.42's just the 3.73's and 4.10's. I do know people who pull 43 foot goose necks with the 3.42's and have no trouble at all. Some actually prefer them over the 3.73's because they don't turn so many RPM's when cruising down the highway. Back before they came out with the six speed transmissions and the VGT turbos I would have probably been against the 3.42's ,but know I would definitely consider them. My concern would be the DEF system I don't know if they have had trouble with it yet or not ,but GM differently has.
so stay away from the Chevrolet?
Old 01-23-2014, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasscutter24 View Post
so stay away from the Chevrolet?
No, I just know that GM has had some issues with the emissions equipment. But, so has Ford and Dodge. Its the main thing that is hurting the diesel industry right know. They are going through what the muscle cars went through back in the mid 70's with all the smog stuff. I have both cummins and duramax trucks and they both are great trucks. I like the Ford trucks but personally don't like any power strokes after the 7.3's. Dodge used to have a lot of transmission problems but now they have the 68rfe and a Aisin which are better than the old trannys. I still believe Ford has the best tranny though. Cummins and Duramax trucks I feel are a good all around package. I think Ford has awsome trucks ,but I'm just not comfortable with the power stroke. I also think they are harder to work on. But thats just a matter of opinion and preference.