Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-12-2014, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If your lawns are kept up with on a regular basis, some people with a higher skill set can use string trimmers with the same or better results than stick edgers.

However, if the edge hasnt been done in a great while, nothing beats the stick edger.

IF you or a worker are exceptionally good at it, the use of the stick edger once or twice a year, with string edging intermittent through out the season saves a ton of time over stick edging on a regular basis...especially on much larger properties.

Make sure however that the client is paying for this service as edging is not traditionally part of "mow blow and go"
Old 01-12-2014, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
If your lawns are kept up with on a regular basis, some people with a higher skill set can use string trimmers with the same or better results than stick edgers.

However, if the edge hasnt been done in a great while, nothing beats the stick edger.

IF you or a worker are exceptionally good at it, the use of the stick edger once or twice a year, with string edging intermittent through out the season saves a ton of time over stick edging on a regular basis...especially on much larger properties.

Make sure however that the client is paying for this service as edging is not traditionally part of "mow blow and go"
Great tip thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2014, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When you get that new client and the area hasnt been edged in a long forever a stick edger cant be beat. Once you get the area in shape a string trimmer will usually do the trick.
Using a string trimmer just takes practice.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Once or twice in the Spring I use a straight shaft edger and then I use a trimmer the rest of the season. Make sure your investing in good equipment from the start.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 01-12-2014, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I went out today and used my trimmer w/ a blade to edge my driveway. I was bored and it was nice outside so I figured what the heck. I think it turned out okay although I won't be doing it at any clients house until I buy a real stick edger!
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2014, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can really mess up a sidewalk or driveway if you lose control of that blade, or even a car.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 01-12-2014, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I can imagine. My wife's car wasn't there when I was doing it that's for sure. I was just itching to fire up the trimmer again and thought, " what the heck." It did a decent job, wasn't very practical and was a pita so I just did the driveway and said screw the sidewalks. I'm definitely buying a stick edger this year though!
Old 01-13-2014, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Check out the lawn edging blade from kageinnovation.com its made out of UHMW
Old 01-14-2014, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo View Post
This will be my first season I've been asking a lot of newbie questions I greatly appreciate everyone here. The question is about leaf removal I have a husky backpack blower and I was just going to do the tarp and trailer removal method, but I don't know if that's what should be done. Also do most of you edge with a weedeater or do you have a designated edger. Thanks again love the site.
There are many ways to deal with leaves and you should use whichever method works on a particular lawn. Since I don't get tons of leaves in the fall I mulch the leaves on a few jobs. On other jobs I blow them out into the woods. I also have a large Brinley collection unit as well as a Grass Packer bagger for my walkbehind. I do whatever is the fastest on that particular job.

In so far as the edger goes, if you have a lot of concrete to edge, I would go with a dedicated edger. It's really a judgement call.

Here's my leaf cleanup setup.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a dedicated edger, every mow, every property.

Once the initial groove is cut in, I can run the edger as fast as I can walk, every mow thereafter. I haven't seen anyone with a string trimmer edge concrete as fast, or as nice, as I can with an edger. Furthermore, I never deal with the sting breaking or having to reload. In the end, an edger blade costs way less than all the string used for an equal amount of edging, without leaving bits of broken string around the property.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer