Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-18-2003, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Member

seasonal Billing?

This my first year in business and I have managed to get 2 law offices as my first 2 accounts as well as one of the lawyers residences and the work is just rolling in. I used to co-own a lawn business 20 years ago but life (kids) got in the way. So, now, at 44, I'm following my dream and starting a part-time business with the hopes of an early retirement and full time by my 50's.
I've acquired an Exmark TTHP 48" and Echo power head with an edger, articulated hedge trimmer, and trimmer attatchment, an Echo hand held blower, (Back pack by fall), and a 5 x 8 trailer(I know it's small, but I already had it). The hardest part was learning to drive the walk behind (we had tractors before) but I spent a year learning on my own lawn. I also have spent over a year reading lawnsite every day and have to thank you all for all the free info that has guided my every choice and decision.
So after all that, my question is this: One of my accounts used to pay a set price for the seasons lawn care, with seperate contracts for leaf removal and cleanup. I like this idea because it frees me to mow more often early in the season and not have them feel like I'm after more money. I'm just not sure how to go about figuring out what I should charge for a season. Per cut times what? I'm in Vermont and our season is probably 6-7 months.. How should I bill? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Figure out how many times you think you will mow, determine a price per cut, and get a total for the season. Do the same with any other services they want included in the set price.

If you mow a few less or a few more times, that's just the way it goes.

Use a written agreement so that each side is clear on what is included and what is not.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:47 PM

Good advice from Bruce. Whatever services you know you are going to offer and plan to perform, add the total and then divide it by the number of months you want paid or they are willing to pay. Some say that spreading it over 12 months is great in the winter when cash flow is slow....depends on your prefernce and the willingness of the client.