Register free!

Old 01-14-2014, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Lesco push spreader or spyker?

Seem to be close in price...going stainless steel for sure, which would u recommend?
Old 01-14-2014, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Spyker 288 Super for sure. IMO 3 hole spreaders are no good. The fertilizer has to be super clean for them to work all the time. I have both and the Lesco sits in the back of the shop.

I love my country, but mistrust my government, and the government doesn't create jobs, it just takes my money and gives it to other people or groups it thinks it can bribe.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Adding to my previous thoughts: Get the rain cover. Make sure it has a screen, a good pattern adjustment system, and an edge shield. Make sure it has a good long guarantee--cheap gears go bad too soon. Consider weight. The large Lesco spreaders can hold 80 pounds, but you will very seldom put more than 50 pounds in it. Suppose you are lifting a Lesco spreader back onto the truck and you have half a bag of fertilizer in it, 25 pounds, plus the weight of the spreader (42 pounds)=together 77 pounds. Keep in mind a spreader is awkward to lift without spilling the contents. Unless you are already built like a linebacker, save your back, go light weight.
Consider putting a handle on it to ease the lifting. I did. Click my name. Look at the handles on my Scotts spreader which is now for sale, cheap (80 pounds capacity) about like a Lesco, weighs 42 pounds. The left/right pattern adjustment is superior to the Lesco version. Buy some comfortable moto-cross rubber hand grips.
And when you get it...use a Magic Marker to mark the poundage levels inside the hopper. 10,20,30,40 pounds; you will then know how much to add for every size lawn. If you are applying too much or too little it will be obvious.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

LESCO spreaders continue to be inferior. imo
pros: lightweight
cons: several -- cumbersome long handles, pins unexpectedly shelling out, narrow spread width, etc

Spyker 288 We started using them whey were first introduced, and we relied on them for years
pros: nice wide pattern, etc
cons: very heavy, the 288 was discontinued about 3 years ago when Spyker redesigned all models

We then switched to the new Spyker 80 lb spreader.
pro's: spreads nice, not quite as wide as the 288's
cons: still heavier than competitors' models

Anderson 2000
pros: even spread, lighter weight (not a bad spreader for sure)

Shindaiwa RS76 (our current favorite)
pros: light weight (like LESCO, but doesn't break down)The RS76 has become our favorite during the past 2 years. Nice pattern. Very light weight. Easy to maneuver/use.

#1 recommendation = Shindaiwa

#2 = Anderson

NOTE: If you want the WORST customer support, buy a Spyker.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Notice that the "shipping weight" for the Spyker 80 pound capacity spreader is 51 pounds. Smaller(more sensible) version is 41 pounds. Supersize version is 54 pounds.
http://www.spyker.com/S60-8020-comme...-spreader.html
Its 28 inches wide. If you are planning to roll it onto a trailer,fine. If lifting it onto your pickup...its heavy. I suspect the Scotts and Lesco weigh about the same, not lightweight, but its hard to find the weight on their websites. If you need to get it on your pickup and also have a skid sprayer in the bed--measure carefully to be sure it will fit in the space allotted.
I suggest replace one of the handle bolts with a stainless steel eyebolt. Bolt a short piece of chain to the left corner of your pickup and use a dog snap to secure and retain the spreader in an upright position. Half-full spreaders tipped over in the truck bed or trailer are no fun. Use a padlock when you will be out of sight of your spread.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Never used spyker but going to look into one this spring. We have used lesco for years and they used to be the cats ass. Here recently over the last few years they have dropped in quality big time. I think the spyker one hole would be far superior to the three hole lesco. If fert isn't perfectly clean it clogs up and that is a pain. I am getting away from lesco as fast as I can. Lesco some times will clog or the third hole wont open up right and it wont sling to the left. Can you say stripped lawn. Look at other alternatives to lesco is my advice....we have owned 6 over the last ten years but YMMV.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've been using spyker for a few years now and it's been working out great. They spread nice and wide. It's also nice that it has one big hole. I recommend getting the deflector for it.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The lesco 80# spreaders are awful! I changed over to the lesco 50# spreaders 3 years ago. They are smaller, lighter and much better balanced!
Old 01-22-2014, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Member

We began 20 years ago with Lesco spreaders and found they did not spread evenly with narrow spread pattern. We switched to the Andersons SR 2000 and have been very happy with even spread pattern. Parts are easy to come by. Impellers and gears are rugged.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i've used a lesco 80# spreader for a while now. Its just a bigger pain to use compared to the smaller models i've used years and years ago. the handle bars are just way to long if you ask me.. I like the smaller ones. however, It does the job just fine. Mine is 10 years old and has held up well.