Register free!

Old 01-14-2014, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Do Golf Course Workers Make Enough Money to Survive?

There are people who work in our country who are poor. We call them the "working poor."

My question to the golf course maintenance industry is: Is the "working poor" an issue in this industry?
Old 01-31-2014, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryAylward View Post
There are people who work in our country who are poor. We call them the "working poor."

My question to the golf course maintenance industry is: Is the "working poor" an issue in this industry?
Not in Myrtle Beach unless you are a landscaper or super. Courses pay minimum wage to around $9 an hour and don't give raises.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2014, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Who are the people working on the crews? College kids mostly? Hispanics?
Old 01-31-2014, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryAylward View Post
Who are the people working on the crews? College kids mostly? Hispanics?
The course I'm at now is mostly retired guys who don't care about a raise, just want something to do. That's not the case everywhere. Another course I worked at had 15-20 guys from college kids to a couple retired guys. I did an internship there and had the opportunity to go through the budget with my super. The highest paid hourly employee was the irrigation tech. He had been there 20 years and was only making $14 an hour. The spray tech had been there for 10 years and was only making $9.50.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2014, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think it depends on the course, I know I wouldn't want a 9$ per hour drug addict driving a 100K tractor on greens that cost 30K each. just saying
Old 01-31-2014, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Larry, it's more like trusting a $9/hr guy driving a $30k tractor on a $100k putting green. When I was in golf, it was common to train the new guys (high school kids, college kids, 40 yr-olds w/ families, etc) on walk mowing greens in their first week, sometimes on the first day. My first day working on the golf course was back in high school and I was trained to walk mow greens on that first day.

But, the advocates for increasing the min wage are misguided. They think that raising that wage will help the "working poor," but its real effect will be twofold: 1) decrease the number of jobs available at the min wage; and 2) put more money into the pockets of the upper middle class without helpign the "working poor."

The economic literature has documented these two effects more often than it has seen "working poor" benefits from a min wage increase. The latest data from the Census bureau tells us that more than 60% of min wage earners live in a household in which total income exceeds the national median. In other words, most of the min wage workers in the US don't classify as "working poor."

The impact this will have on golf course maintenance operations will not be what most people think. Most golf course maintenance depts. That Iíve seen pay well over the min wage, so the increase likely wonít change their labor budgets. However, as other less physical or less demanding jobs increase their pay to meet the new proposed min wage, the better laborers are going to follow those jobs. Golf courses will be left to choose from lower quality labor at the same or higher prices.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Who says Im for Government determining the labor price for cutting greens. I just said that personally I would want a drug addict doing it , and 9$ per hour that about all your gonna get.

Every tea time is worth 400$ to 700$ it does pay to have the best staff that you can get.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Who says Im for Government determining the labor price for cutting greens. I just said that personally I would want a drug addict doing it , and 9$ per hour that about all your gonna get.

Every tea time is worth 400$ to 700$ it does pay to have the best staff that you can get.
Dang Larry you play at some high dollar courses.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
Dang Larry you play at some high dollar courses.
Im almost 50, its now or never lol.

The lowest green fees around here are 50$, plus cart, unless you play a crappy city course. Good courses are at 100$ plus cart.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Im almost 50, its now or never lol.

The lowest green fees around here are 50$, plus cart, unless you play a crappy city course. Good courses are at 100$ plus cart.
Elitist republican! You and your bud obammy should go play...don't let him take a mulligan and don't let him have more balls when he loses all his in woods