Register free!

Old 03-26-2014, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Firing employees

I have been fortunate enough not to have to fire anyone. But I am thinking I may need to send this guy on his way. The reason is he cannot speak English well enough to talk to customers and has trouble with filling out paper work, and can't troubleshoot. He would be fine if I could stick him on installs all day everyday but that's not how my business is set up. I really need another guy that can bounce from service to install as needed. The other problem is the things that he does well will be hard to come by in a new employee. He doesn't complain about crappy tasks like hand digging or looping drip on 100 junipers.

Any ideas?
Old 03-26-2014, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster304 View Post
I have been fortunate enough not to have to fire anyone. But I am thinking I may need to send this guy on his way. The reason is he cannot speak English well enough to talk to customers and has trouble with filling out paper work, and can't troubleshoot. He would be fine if I could stick him on installs all day everyday but that's not how my business is set up. I really need another guy that can bounce from service to install as needed. The other problem is the things that he does well will be hard to come by in a new employee. He doesn't complain about crappy tasks like hand digging or looping drip on 100 junipers.

Any ideas?
Well, words are very limited, cannot all be processed at once, and are subject to infinite amounts of translation.

Mental pictures however are not thus handicapped.

What are the things he does well?
Old 03-26-2014, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Posted via Mobile Devicesending someone on their way isn't firing them. When things don't work out there isn't anything personal about it. Just lay him off and offer him a good recommendation on his highlights and don't focus on his faults.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We're not sending you anywhere Mr. Jim your our friend, damn it

Last edited by RhettMan; 03-26-2014 at 11:06 PM. Reason: after thinking further, scratch my earlier idea, i now believe pictures can also be subject to infinite translation,*assuming
Old 03-26-2014, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Could you team him up with someone who is good at the things he cannot do? Sounds like he is good at the grunt work, maybe a brains & brawn combo team.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Could you team him up with someone who is good at the things he cannot do? Sounds like he is good at the grunt work, maybe a brains & brawn combo team.
You cant say "A" by saying "B".....

What cannot be done?
Old 03-27-2014, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
That and maybe find ways to work around his weakness. Possibly make paperwork easier?
Old 03-27-2014, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

It's like this, when I am on the job with him and can show him the scope of the job it is no problem. If I have to send him there alone things get fouled up because of the language barrier. The other thing is he has trouble taking direction from anyone other than me. My other employee is an American guy who obviously speaks English. So when I am sending the two of them to a job I explain the job to the American because he will understand me the best. But the Mexican guy doesn't want to listen to him when they get to the job because he is not the boss.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2014, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster304 View Post
It's like this, when I am on the job with him and can show him the scope of the job it is no problem. If I have to send him there alone things get fouled up because of the language barrier. The other thing is he has trouble taking direction from anyone other than me. My other employee is an American guy who obviously speaks English. So when I am sending the two of them to a job I explain the job to the American because he will understand me the best. But the Mexican guy doesn't want to listen to him when they get to the job because he is not the boss.
Posted via Mobile Device
That would be enough for me. See ya
Old 03-27-2014, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate letting people go and because of that, I've often made the mistake of keeping people longer than I should have. The end result was that the animosity between us grew to the point that when the inevitable did happen, it was not on good terms. I've learned from that over the years that now when I see the signs that I'm going to have to let someone go, I just do it, even if it's going to be painful for me in the short term without them. This way I can tell them without the built up frustration that things aren't working out and they just aren't a good fit.

If you're feeling strongly enough that this guy isn't working out that you're asking about what to do on the Internet, you already know the answer to your own question. It's never fun but it's better to do it early rather than letting problems build up.