Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-15-2014, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dang, old faithful Redmax 2600 trimmer having issues.

I used it a couple weeks ago to knock down some tall weeds. Left it with half a tank of fuel. Decided it was time to winterize it yesterday and it had consumed the remaining fuel. Tank was near bone dry. As soon as I pulled the cord it sprayed mix out the muffler. Gently pulled it over a few times to clear it (12 pulls or so). To my surprise it fired up, sluggish at first, but after a few seconds it cleaned up. So I gassed it up again and ran it a bit. Seems fine.

This trimmer owes me nothing. Gotta be a decade or so old. Are these old Redmax carbs worth rebuilding? Am I better off buying an aftermarket carb for around $40?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-15-2014, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What happened was the inlet needle got stuck slightly open and let the fuel enter the cyl. The needle tip/seat could also be worn, etc.
I know what I'm doin' and can rebuild em, ( even then its a crapshoot), so you should prolly just replace the carb.
Get new fuel lines and in tank filter also.
While yer at it, pull the muffler and clean the exh. port of carbon build-up.

Be sure and get new carb mtg gasket, it usually is sold separately.

......AMF!
Old 01-15-2014, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've cleaned the exhaust port a couple times over the years. Generally not much to speak of. Crap shoot is right. I've been through quite a few little carbs, but these Redmax ones confound me.

Any luck with the aftermarket carbs available? I'm struggling to throw $100+ carb on a trimmer that's this old. I'm tempted to get a new set of rings, and a new carb to avoid buyin a new turd. Thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-15-2014, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The carb shouldn't be $100. What is the complete model # of the trimmer, do you have the sn written down anywhere?
How about the engine numbers, should be on a small sticker under/on the fan hsng?
The Walbro carb will have a number in/on it, like "WYA**" or similar.
Does it have a visible HS adjustable needle? If so, ya might wanna keep it and put a rebuild kit in it.
Although not hard to do, I wouldn't mess with the rings unless they're stuck.

......AMF!
Old 01-15-2014, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, my dealer sucks. It is gz25n 138108. Manufactured oct 2001. Engine family 1kzxs.0254qr EM walbro wya 1c 138

The much dreaded early strato;-)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-15-2014, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Buy the model carb via a Walbro dealer, not via Redmax. Tht saves you about $20. I'm a Redmax dealer and never buy the carbs via them...same goes with all my other brands. When it comes to something as specific and exacting a a carb, I say skip aftermarket and get the right one.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kits run about 10.00 or so ( K20-WYA ).
Here's a carb w/free shipping: http://www.ebay.com/itm/WYA-1-1-Genu...-/400586740004

......AMF!