Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-17-2014, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm downsizing dump trailer. My 18' dual tandem gooseneck is just too big for everyday landscaping. I'm going to pick up a 12' or 14' bumper pull dump to pull behind our Crewcab chevy.

Alot more practical for doing cleanups and mulch. Will be nice to haul small loads of soil for installs.

I never thought I would downsize trailers, but it's more practical for use for the type of work we are focusing on now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2014, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Alot more practical for doing cleanups and mulch. Will be nice to haul small loads of soil for installs.

I never thought I would downsize trailers, but it's more practical for use for the type of work we are focusing on now.
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE]

I'm wanting it for sod jobs or hauling dirt or rocks. I've got to do a job now that is going to take 9 tons. But what's the most gall hall with the 7x12 or 7x14. I've got a 2004 sierra with 5.3. But really wasn't wanting to upgrade to a newer diesel until I got more accounts. What do y'all suggest to another company.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2014, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a 14 or smaller if you have anything less than a 1 ton truck. With a 16 your far more likely to overload the front and make the tongue to heavy makin or squirmy on hwys
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2014, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

With a half ton your going to be pushing it with about 2.5 tons plus trailer. In our 7x12 were good around 5 tons legal. This is behind a 350 the bigger trailers add more weight and less capacity with a 7x12 you can still haul a ctl or 12 yards of mulch. We put 2 foot wooden sides on ours
Old 01-19-2014, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Member

I might do that or just wait til I get a bigger truck. I def don't have to have to it nor do I want to destroy my truck. Thanks for the input guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQLL View Post
With a half ton your going to be pushing it with about 2.5 tons plus trailer. In our 7x12 were good around 5 tons legal. This is behind a 350 the bigger trailers add more weight and less capacity with a 7x12 you can still haul a ctl or 12 yards of mulch. We put 2 foot wooden sides on ours
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2014, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm pretty sold on this for us a 3.5CAM610LPD it's a 6 foot by 10 foot trailer with a 8050 gvwr. I Have 3 dump trucks 2 nearly new 4500s rams and a old 3500 gmc which we will be eliminating. My main reason for this (and it will have ladder ramps and the higher sides). Is for pruning purposes for years Iv taken 2 dumps one for tools and hedge trimmers and the other for all the clippings and debris. Uses 2 times the fuel requires a minimum of 2 guys to do this. This year were looking and going employee free and I want a way keep my equipment from being tangled up in a pile of brush. This gives me that ability use the trailer for the clippings and the ram 4500 for me and the tools and the ladders. I'm also looking at a getting a bobcat t110 from my house and it would just fit so I could take it for jobs if needed. And mulch wise I cannot argue with the amount it would fit since I keep low sides on the rams as they are grass cutting trucks this will allow me to take a much larger load than 5 yards at a clip.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a question for all you seasoned dump trailer owners. I'm looking to get a 14' pj dump trailer. I have a 2013 Chevy 3/4ton ext cab gasser. I'm concerned with the overall weight of the trailer.
Is this too much trailer for this truck? Or should I go with a 12'? I mainly haul mulch, brush, firewood, soil, stone, etc. But sometimes I get a couple pallets of retaining wall blocks and an occasional skid steer rental.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_thumb View Post
I have a question for all you seasoned dump trailer owners. I'm looking to get a 14' pj dump trailer. I have a 2013 Chevy 3/4ton ext cab gasser. I'm concerned with the overall weight of the trailer.
Is this too much trailer for this truck? Or should I go with a 12'? I mainly haul mulch, brush, firewood, soil, stone, etc. But sometimes I get a couple pallets of retaining wall blocks and an occasional skid steer rental.

4:10 or 3:73 rear end? The 4:10 is better for pulling. I had the same truck but it was a 2001 with the 4:10s and it dealt with my 7x12 Suretruck Dump alright. I was loading up very heavy loads of green logs and beat the tranny up pretty bad. The truck was 12 years older than yours but it tore the transmission apart with the weight I was putting in it. My 2013 Duramax seems to like it just fine but I haven't done much with it yet. A 14 footer might be better for leaves and brush, but the 12 foot really suits my needs and I think a 14 foot trailer would have been overkill for the last truck. I think the most important thing to do is be conscious of your load weights and the way you're driving. I'd only go for the 14 footer if you're nervous about not having enough room for light stuff that takes up a lot of room like brush and leaves. Otherwise my 7x12 has done everything I've asked it to and more, but in my opinion was too much trailer for my 2001 3/4 ton gasser. I think you'll be much better off that I was being that your truck is newer. A gooseneck and beefing up the suspension on the truck might help too. Also my gas mileage was terrible pulling the dump trailer. This was one of the main reasons for going diesel but I'm sure the newer truck would beat the hell of my old gasser. Hope that helps.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BckYrdLmbrJk View Post
4:10 or 3:73 rear end? The 4:10 is better for pulling. I had the same truck but it was a 2001 with the 4:10s and it dealt with my 7x12 Suretruck Dump alright. I was loading up very heavy loads of green logs and beat the tranny up pretty bad. The truck was 12 years older than yours but it tore the transmission apart with the weight I was putting in it. My 2013 Duramax seems to like it just fine but I haven't done much with it yet. A 14 footer might be better for leaves and brush, but the 12 foot really suits my needs and I think a 14 foot trailer would have been overkill for the last truck. I think the most important thing to do is be conscious of your load weights and the way you're driving. I'd only go for the 14 footer if you're nervous about not having enough room for light stuff that takes up a lot of room like brush and leaves. Otherwise my 7x12 has done everything I've asked it to and more, but in my opinion was too much trailer for my 2001 3/4 ton gasser. I think you'll be much better off that I was being that your truck is newer. A gooseneck and beefing up the suspension on the truck might help too. Also my gas mileage was terrible pulling the dump trailer. This was one of the main reasons for going diesel but I'm sure the newer truck would beat the hell of my old gasser. Hope that helps.
It's got the 3:73 rear end. Wonder how much to upgrade to 4:10... Kinda seems like the 12' might be the way to go and just build taller sides for maximizing lighter loads.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I might even put timbrens in the back along with a 1" block....