Register free!

Old 10-31-2014, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Does anyone make....

Does anyone make a self propelled (motorized) walk behind sprayer/spreader. It seems like all you see are ride on ones.

I'm trying to start planning for next spring and I'm going to have to upgrade in one way or another, but I don't know what to. I definitely haven't reached to size to warrant a skid sprayer and ride-on machine, but I'm starting to outgrow the push spreader and backpack sprayer w/boom.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have thought about trying to rig up a 15-25 gal sprayer w/boom similar to what the now defunct company Mibar made. Running it on a similar setup (turf tracer), but as of right now I've got 3 properties of 1 acre approx that I would still have to use the push spreader on.

Mibar youtube video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vat_Ua-In5A
Old 10-31-2014, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have seen stand on models. Do not know the make.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'll have to look at the brand that's at the shop but the company makes walkbehind sprayers and I think they made a self propelled version. The one we have you could easily add some kind of way to lower the wheels.

You could retrofit an old walkbehind mower to do the trick too. I have an old proline that the engine and deck went bad on that I could add a tank too and a slightly smaller engine and use for spraying.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
I have seen stand on models. Do not know the make.
I've saw plenty of stand on models, but in these WV hills I don't know how they would do with my 6'3" 215lb frame on them!
Old 10-31-2014, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco made a self propelled walk behind spreader. Then you can add the sprayer tank to it. A used one sells for around 750 bucks
Old 11-01-2014, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Member

I inquired about them a few years ago, even made a thread. There's a demand for them but like aerators, spreaders/sprayers are all focused on being ride on units. Beating a dead horse it seems anymore but there is still a need for smaller more maneuverable equipment too. All you will find anymore are old used models. Good luck with finding nice units too. I had to frankenstein one together. I almost went as far as to design my own.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingGreen View Post
I inquired about them a few years ago, even made a thread. There's a demand for them but like aerators, spreaders/sprayers are all focused on being ride on units. Beating a dead horse it seems anymore but there is still a need for smaller more maneuverable equipment too. All you will find anymore are old used models. Good luck with finding nice units too. I had to frankenstein one together. I almost went as far as to design my own.
Ya....... I believe you are right.

I've thought about the Gregson Clark spreader mate, or something like the electric model from TurfEx but a lot of people don't care for the single nozzle, although you can get the spreader mate with a boom.

I do believe I could be more successful/productice with a 15/25 gal model creating a boom and mounting it. I've saw that option quite a bit on the web.

There's one guy around here who has a ride-on spreader/sprayer but I've saw him have issues on hilly turf, it may just be due to the lack of size/engine he has. Other than that the other 2 outfits are just using skid sprayers and huffing it with push spreaders.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a Gregson Clark spreader mate and I think I posted about it if you search my posts somewhere that is a probably a more thorough response. It's a good unit and have only had minor problems with it. Some repairs and others were mods I did to improve a few things. It's kind of an oxymoron. Only having a 9 gallon tanks means many fillups/mixings but the SOB is still heavy to push around if you don't have something self propelled. With the boom sprayer you literally paint your blanket applications on vs. slinging chemical around with a hose and reel. No comparison for coverage both in efficiency and accuracy.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ya, 9 gallons at over 9 lbs per gallon..... Not fun I bet.