Register free!

Old 10-21-2014, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

For those of you who do APS solo or mainly solo is it viable to add irrigation...?

This time of year seems everybody is doing blow outs. But at rates as low as $30 and even lower...I questions ever even venturing into irrigation work. Even some of my loyal clients grouse about the $45 min fee many Co. charge. These clients relish my cut quality and knowledge of turf however there is a mentality with many that....$45 per man hour is too much to pay.

So....is irrigation just another distraction from the low hanging fruit...?

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2014, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ummmm, nope !! That is what we have been doing for years
Old 10-27-2014, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk117 View Post
Ummmm, nope !! That is what we have been doing for years
Do you also do all aspects of irrigation work...?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2014, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, installs, service,repairs and blowouts. I also do many of their apps as well.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm solo and did 46 winterizer apps today in 8 hours(all residential). Got 37 lined up for tomorrow. I'm a BIG advocate of specializing and being extremely efficient.

To me, more services means less efficiency, more equip., and less $/hour. Of course others seem to be very profitable doing more services with less customers.

I think it just depends on your market potential and what customers are willing to pay. Every market seems to be different. In my area, the "jack of all trades" guys seem to go bust pretty fast because customers are cheap.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. When I start thinking about other ways to make money I come back to what I can do with a spreader and a truck. Hard to beat when you focus on efficiency and utilize proper equipment.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2014, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

As a solo I really have to agree...specializing is the route to go. Focus on low hanging fruit.

I'm being serious is $30 for a small system blowout a lowish... okay a low baller rate...?

The $45 min charge for a blowout is a hard sell here. Many cheapskate folks think $45 per man hour is highway robbery here.

There was a landscape contractor who used to advertise here with signs,..."I will beat anybody's yes anyone's price on blow outs".

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Exact Rototilling; 10-27-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

$30 would be crazy low in my area. Typical around here is $45 for the first 5 zones and then $2-3 for each additional zone. Mostly just the sprinkler guys do blow outs.

Seems like there are more and more cheap customers or customers who want to play "Pawn Stars" every time you quote them a price. I think a lot of people are still in bad financial situations. Living in big new houses but no furniture in rooms.

I've gotten to where I try hard to screen-out the bottom feeder customers. If they say they are getting "other bids" then I just tell them I'm not interested. No way to compare apples to apples against a low baller and almost not even worth trying to educate people about how the low ballers screw them. They think all fert is the same so the more you explain, the more they think you are just giving them the hard-sell.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Turf Guys View Post
$30 would be crazy low in my area. Typical around here is $45 for the first 5 zones and then $2-3 for each additional zone. Mostly just the sprinkler guys do blow outs.

Seems like there are more and more cheap customers or customers who want to play "Pawn Stars" every time you quote them a price. I think a lot of people are still in bad financial situations. Living in big new houses but no furniture in rooms.

I've gotten to where I try hard to screen-out the bottom feeder customers. If they say they are getting "other bids" then I just tell them I'm not interested. No way to compare apples to apples against a low baller and almost not even worth trying to educate people about how the low ballers screw them. They think all fert is the same so the more you explain, the more they think you are just giving them the hard-sell.
Fairly difficult to even get a $30 min for mowing here. The low price point on blowouts has basically cooled my jets on getting into irrigation. Seems like everybody has jumped on the band wagon. A Lawnsite member moved up here from Florida years back and flat out said this area is loaded with a bunch of irrigation half price hacks.

I agree...whenever I hear the phrase, "I'm getting other bids"...always turns into a time wasting hassle chase fest.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-28-2014, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Those prices are ridiculous, the lowballer in our area went out of business leaving all those people scrambling for a provider. I will not share our rates, but it is profitable. Your area might not be so there ya go !