Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-17-2014, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

1) Snow removal - green season isn't long enough
2) 90% of estimates happening in May. When will people learn that I am FAR more available in the fall for some of the same jobs?
3) Weekly call cancels for mowing work "Don't come this week, don't think the lawn needs it"
4) People who want you gab you every single time you come to service your lawn. Acting like the only job you have is theirs
5) Chronic late pays.
6) Dog poop infested yards. Gross
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 02-17-2014, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUturfMan View Post
sedge in liriopi
bentgrass over-running bluegrass
Old 02-17-2014, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Member

1. Managing Invoices
2. Equipment Breakdowns
3. Customer Complaints
4. Annoying Neighbors
5. Late Payments
Old 02-18-2014, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Traffic
People who call to say we had a cheaper bid
Folks who are getting in to business and call and ask what you charge
Fake search engine companies that call ever freakin day claiming to be with google
Fresh dog turds on equipment
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2014, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Member

1. Dog crap
2. Yards with bad drainage
3. Cheap people who assume that just because I'm 15 they can get professional work for the price of any other kid and thus waste my time
4. Equipment troubles
5. PITA customers

In regards to 3. and 5., I started charging about 30% more last year and that really helped cut down on headaches.

And also people who call to cancel because the 'lawn doesn't really need it, don't you think?'. I'm just going to start charging by the month and let them choose which weeks they want it done.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExmarkBoy View Post
1. Dog crap
2. Yards with bad drainage
3. Cheap people who assume that just because I'm 15 they can get professional work for the price of any other kid and thus waste my time
4. Equipment troubles
5. PITA customers

In regards to 3. and 5., I started charging about 30% more last year and that really helped cut down on headaches.

And also people who call to cancel because the 'lawn doesn't really need it, don't you think?'. I'm just going to start charging by the month and let them choose which weeks they want it done.
Charging by the month won't help you when the next guy comes along and says I'll just charge you by the service and save you a lot of money. There is only two options at least with my company your either weekly or EOW those are your options.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Charging by the month won't help you when the next guy comes along and says I'll just charge you by the service and save you a lot of money. There is only two options at least with my company your either weekly or EOW those are your options.
I started thinking about this after I took an entrepreneurship class last school year, and my teacher suggested I consider this. And as a matter of fact, I actually had a couple customers approach me wanting to know if I offered a structure such as this. I know this model doesn't work for all companies, but I only service people who want quality and basically don't care how much it costs. I will admit that I am very blessed to have a ready supply of such customers and only need to take the ones that I actually want to service.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExmarkBoy View Post
... I'm just going to start charging by the month and let them choose which weeks they want it done.
Having somebody else always choosing your schedule is a menu for chaos. The more control you give up with the customer's choosing dates, the less control you have over your schedule.

It may work for you, but you may want to think closely before going down this path. Personally, I can't imagine getting calls, "Not this week," or "Come for the next two weeks, then skip the third week."
Old 02-22-2014, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

1) clients - who think they know whats best, clients who don't listen to my recommendations and then later say they thought I should do the same work I suggested a month ago, clients who are tight wads.

2) Mother Nature - weather and insects / animals that destroy your work.

3) Equipment - break downs and cost

4) Dealers, subcontractors, distributors and Nurseries who think i know nothing.

5) that idiot driver who cuts you off while driving your one ton with a full loaded triler and expect you can stop instantly!!!!!
Old 02-23-2014, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Having somebody else always choosing your schedule is a menu for chaos. The more control you give up with the customer's choosing dates, the less control you have over your schedule.

It may work for you, but you may want to think closely before going down this path. Personally, I can't imagine getting calls, "Not this week," or "Come for the next two weeks, then skip the third week."
Hahaha for a full sized company that would be a complete nightmare! Although I do professional work and have professional equipment, I'm only 15 (I'm turning 16 in about a month) and I only have 15-20 clients - all in my neighborhood, so for my current position it will work well. Last summer I made the mistake of trying to schedule all mowing on an as needed basis. Even at 10 clients that was a nightmare. When I go full sized, though, I will make sure everyone is on a schedule and bill by the month year round for full yard care. Thanks for the reply! I'm trying to learn as much as possible from all you guys who own a real business!