Old 02-24-2014, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

-customers
-employees
...that's about it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2014, 11:39 AM
Sponsor

1. Customers who think we sit around all day and wait for them to call to do work.
2. Lowballers
3. Snow and winter blues are a def. good one. Thanks @armsden
4. breakdowns and employees
5. Rain while its sunny out. (if you have ever had this phenomenon it is a lawn guys worst confusing nightmare)
Office: 800-647-1951
Locqus - Free Field Service Management
Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC
Old 03-22-2014, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
IF you think you're place is in the field, then interview for a field position.
a business owners place is the office.
If youre not good at it, either get that way, or don't be in business.

a good landscaper does not make a good business owner.

Seriously, what 'qualifies' you to work for your self? Would you hire yourself to be the CEO of your company? Of course you wouldn't.

IVe been in the green industry for well over 20 years.
I'd be happy to run someones office, billing, sales and operations for a company that is sized enough to afford the paycheck.
I want to revisit this mind set because it misses a very harsh and cold reality of this trade. You have stated in other posts your 265 pounds. So for a landscaper your not only old but your rather heavy you got about 70 pounds on me and thats me at winter weight ill be back below 180 in 2 months of work.

But that is something that drove me 12 years ago to start my own company and work for myself as it must have driven you and nearly all the guys on this forum. The truth is as we get older and slower are prospects for finding work in this trade dry up. We start our own companies for different reasons then a typical business owner. In our trade you become unemployable long before retirement age.

I worked for the same company for about 10 years before starting on my own. When I was 31 the boss could no longer stand that I didn't want to do snow work and fired me. He did spring clean ups with out me and seemed to be quite content to leave me on the side of the road. 2 weeks in to cutting season changed that my phone rang off the hook he called like 25 times in 2 days begging for me to run the cutting crew again. This came with a raise to 18 an hour this was 2001 and so I returned. But I knew then what I should of all a long which was at a certain age I was going to get axed and as I found out looking for work in those 2 months my offers were for far less than I expected I had an offer for 9 an hour just 3 weeks before accepting 18.

The following year I moved to 20 an hour I knew I was at top rate and could go no higher and I planned the leap for the following year to go on my own which I did. You ask what qualifies people to start their own business and in this trade I think its simply looking to the future and knowing if you don't your going to find your self playing musical chairs in your 40s and 50s and at some point its not going to be there for you.

Off topic I know but its a better subject the the original one was anyways.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Holy Smokes!!!

Kelly's man, I have enjoyed your posts in the past but man, you are talking about me right now!

I am 32 and just started my company last year after working for my Boss forever....

Same thing with running the cutting crew as well..... Some owners just don't know how good they have it with us fellers that LOVE to cut... I was born to do this, and my Boss was lucky to have me for as long as he did...

But I honestly started my own for the exact reasons that you stated..... Shoot, to get rich? Yeah Right!!!

To be able to do this, what I love, until I pass it to my boy(If he want it that is..)
Old 03-24-2014, 11:40 AM
Sponsor

Hmm. Winter blues for sure, random breakdowns, gas prices, bad customers, and the rain during a sunny day phenomenon.

Can't beat a clean day cutting though, best thing in the industry. Outside, clean air, almost magic.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This should be fun:

1. Knuckleheads in this business that don't job cost, estimate right, track anything, and refine that process ...then whine about not making money and wonder why nothing works right.

2. Lack of professionalism. Contractors who want a great level of client to buy from them but look and act like they just broke out of prison. Dirty trucks, rough employees who smoke, curse, no uniforms, and are an embarrassment to this industry.

3. No business plan or idea on what they want to do or where they want to be in 10 years. No marketing plan or strategy.

4. No idea of their numbers, budget, cash flow, or anything. If you don't know these you shouldn't even be in this industry.

5. Guys that claim they offer 50 different services and do them all to perfection and have equipment to do them all, even though they have two employees and have only been in business for two years.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 03-25-2014, 11:03 AM
Sponsor

^^ all true, and sadly am guilty of a few of them, but completely agree. Got a lot to work on.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought cursing was a prerequisite to enter this industry.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-25-2014, 11:41 AM
Sponsor

^^ Yeah it freaking is lol
Old 03-25-2014, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locqus View Post
^^ Yeah it freaking is lol
I do it early and often. Call me old fashioned.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds