The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-18-2014, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Paying for advice I already know
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2014, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh, and #6…

INSURANCE BILLS…. I hate getting them, I hate paying for something that is not tangible. I know one day it will be there when I need it, but in the past 5 years it feels like writing large checks for nothing.

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 01-18-2014, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

NOOBS!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2014, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
Oh, and #6…

INSURANCE BILLS…. I hate getting them, I hate paying for something that is not tangible. I know one day it will be there when I need it, but in the past 5 years it feels like writing large checks for nothing.
Yup same here. I feel like insurance is the biggest scam there is. And even when you do use it they jack your rates up

We filed one for body work. Like $4k I think it was. They raised our rates over 5 years $10k
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2014, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will gladly do leaves all day long. Easy peasy. But then again I'm doing the blowing while the guys are doing the tarping.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hello there olajoe808... Welcome!

Just hoping you could clarify a few things... When you say "Instead of sucking it up and focusing on how to improve sales, the attention is focused on newer operations." I agree, I LOVE talking about sales and business strategies but if a new guy is asking questions that seem silly or impertinent to you, you could just ignore those questions right? I am 32 years old and I have been in the business for almost 20 years but to be honest, a HUGE percentage of guys here are under 25 and new LCO's. I will also add that I get immense satisfaction from helping younger and more inexperienced guys because I myself got a lot of help from older guys when I was coming up.

Now this is just weird. "Kinda of like it is in small rural towns today where some still feel the internet is for sissys." Well, I am from Boston Ma. born and raised but I currently live in a "small rural town" and I can say with 100% certainty that I have never met or heard of anybody that thinks the internet is for "sissys." I also consider myself well read and other than you saying it, this phenomenon has never before come up on my radar, never. In fact, most folks in small rural towns LOVE the internet because it connects them with a world that they might have had less access to previously.

Finally, your disdain for posts "lacking basic grammar and punctuation" is "kinda of" funny. Maybe you should try taking your own advice and "GO TO SCHOOL or be schooled!!"
Old 01-18-2014, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't make it personal. I think the majority of mower techs can say they were hacking grass at 6 or 7 y/o right. So you still got some years to go. Thanks for pointing out your location. I guess now we're getting somewhere? My good buddy is from New England. Very distinct fall seasons. Fortunately, he woke up. Decided there was more to life and joined the real world. Believe it or not, there is life outside the box.

If a few randomly typed words get you all rattled up then you are in for a big surprise when johnny move in and undercut you like you did big tony when you first started off. Funny how things come around like that.

In short, enjoy life. Before you know it, you will have lived it.

Thanks,
Olajoe aka, da cat with the hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Hello there olajoe808... Welcome!

Just hoping you could clarify a few things... When you say "Instead of sucking it up and focusing on how to improve sales, the attention is focused on newer operations." I agree, I LOVE talking about sales and business strategies but if a new guy is asking questions that seem silly or impertinent to you, you could just ignore those questions right? I am 32 years old and I have been in the business for almost 20 years but to be honest, a HUGE percentage of guys here are under 25 and new LCO's. I will also add that I get immense satisfaction from helping younger and more inexperienced guys because I myself got a lot of help from older guys when I was coming up.

Now this is just weird. "Kinda of like it is in small rural towns today where some still feel the internet is for sissys." Well, I am from Boston Ma. born and raised but I currently live in a "small rural town" and I can say with 100% certainty that I have never met or heard of anybody that thinks the internet is for "sissys." I also consider myself well read and other than you saying it, this phenomenon has never before come up on my radar, never. In fact, most folks in small rural towns LOVE the internet because it connects them with a world that they might have had less access to previously.

Finally, your disdain for posts "lacking basic grammar and punctuation" is "kinda of" funny. Maybe you should try taking your own advice and "GO TO SCHOOL or be schooled!!"
Old 01-18-2014, 02:24 PM

Weather makes sense.... that aside, it sounds like so far a lot of people dislike the office/customer/phone call stuff.

Customers and prospects can definitely be difficult and have unrealistic expectations, but we are in the "service" business and now with social media and review sites, people know that they can cause problems if someone doesn't bend over backwards to please them.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

"Weather makes sense.... that aside, it sounds like so far a lot of people dislike the office/customer/phone call stuff."

This is probably why there are so many posts about how to collect past due accounts, contracts and require credit card on file. Customer communication is one of the most important parts of growing a business. Clearly communicating what the service is going to be. How you are going to bill the customer. How and when they are expected pay.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

1 5-6 days of solid rain in may.
2 5-6 weeks with no rain in a hot summer. (or simply drought.)
3 help that bails mid-season after you've finally got them dialed in and running smooth.
4 the fact that so many of my long-time clients are gone now.
5 my own cynicism with the state of the lawn biz today.

Edit to add, didn't list in order, had I done so, #5 might be #1!