3) Taxes

4) Paperwork

5) Small gate openings
Old 02-03-2014, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

sedge in liriopi
Old 02-04-2014, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm enjoying a positive winter this season with profit's from snow and preparing for a better upcoming season this year from mistakes I've learned over the past. I've learned alot from reading from lawn and landscape magazine and other books. My biggest problem areas where probaly within myself in alot of different area's. And I can't wait to work my new ideas into this coming season. I think my biggest complaints running my buisiness was like someone else said about breaking through the grey area. I've been doing this for 10 years now and I still am not on solid ground financially yet, this is something I'm really trying hard to get to this year. Being debt free and to be able to pay my taxes on time would be nice. And having something in the bank to show success would be nice also. Good luck to all and focus on the positive more than the negatives and do the same with your employees.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm with you, I don't know if I'll ever be debt free but I definitely want to be in as lil as possible. This is my sixth season overall and my motto for this year is "Stash Cash" LOL
Old 02-15-2014, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Adams View Post
I would love to see everyone's top 5.... what can't you stand? What do you wish you didn't have to do?

Specifically about the business.... In other words, things like phone calls, advertising, scheduling and NOT things like trimming, dog excrement and rain.
Posted via Mobile Device
There is only 1 thing ...

Government regulations, licensing, etc.. At a certain point, for someone responsible with education and experience, the need for testing, licensing, certain tax forms, etc., seems irritating and unnecessary.

I don't count hacks as something I don't like about this business. They are not doing "this business" ... they are doing something else.

Any other factor like weather, cold, hours, is all something that goes with life.

My favorite one thing is trees. Among landscape work, pruning is my fave. And for photography, likewise.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 02-16-2014, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Member

1. Millionaires that think your in business to do charity at their house.
2. Customers that have a postage stamp backyard and three dogs. Need I say more.
3. Customers that think every time you come to service their property that its some kind of garden club meeting.
4. Customers that let their service bills back up a few months and then when you call or knock their door they start questioning how many times you were there, then you have break out the work records and there like, oh.
5. Dealing with employees.

But for all the grief I would not trade having my own business for a job running a company for anyone else.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

It's interesting to see where everyone is coming from on this. A lot of people have the same issues, which is reaffirming that it's not a solitary issue for anyone. I think after reading this, the better question would be "how do you plan to solve your five biggest issues for the 2014 season?" Some are easier than others, but less hassle would mean more free time for _____. We've got only about a couple weeks to get those issues resolved before it's GO TIME!! Typically, my favorite time of year!!
Old 02-17-2014, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I read Nutsedge in Liriope, I almost fell out of my chair. That is EASILY number one! Remove it one week and it's back a week later! Props to AUturfman for reminding us of that hell.

Honestly, there's not much I hate about this business. I mean, all the usual suspects - slow pay customers, overly needy customers, dealing with immature employees, I agree with mdvaden on the government reg thing, equipment breakdowns during an already jam packed hectic day. Sure.

But the truth is I love this business. I mean friggin' LOVE it. I have no doubts that I chose the right career path. I've built my operation and molded it to fit MY life and I don't understand why others don't do the same. PLLandscaping mentioned reading, consistently, on this site about failures and complaints, etc. He wondered why there are not more "very successful" people posting on here. What's your definition of very successful? Are you talking about over 1 mill a year gross? 2 mil? I've known men who have huge bank accounts and are not content. I have 5 full time employees, hire on 2-3 more during the busy season, and in my eyes, I'm pretty damn successful. Maybe not in the way you would consider successful. Maybe some you laugh when reading that statement. But in my eyes, I am successful because I'm in the very place I hoped to be when I started my company. I make a comfortable living, I get to go on vacation for ten days every year, and I get to spend time with my family. I'm not a slave to my business. I like it, no, I love it THIS way. I don't want to become larger... though I believe I could. I don't want the hassles associated with becoming larger. I'm a very happy guy. That's my definition of success.

I read Mr. Kelly's comments about how he loves being "in the field". I can understand that. I love the field also - working on hardscape or plant install projects... or just mowing. But I believe my greatest strength is in sales so that's where I spend the vast majority of my time. Meeting potential customers and selling hardscape or plant installs or meeting existing clients and just walking around their yard with them and addressing their concerns. I love selling the job but I also love doing the job... if there's no one to meet that day.

Like any job, there are rough days. But overall, I got it friggin' made - can't knock the smile of my face.

So, PLLandscaping, there's a success story for you.

BTW, Mr. Kelly, I like the honesty in your posts.