Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-17-2014, 05:18 AM
LawnSite Member

which motor for the Ferris IS700??

28 gross hp* Vanguard BIG BLOCK / 28 gross hp* Briggs & Stratton Commercial Turf Series / 23.5 gross hp** Kawasaki FS730V / 23 gross hp** Kawasaki FS691V

These are the options for this mower. Can someone tell me which they recommend and why? Thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2014, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

You are most likely to get the best longevity from the Vanguard Big Block. It's made by Dihatsu (owned by Toyota who bought them because their vehicles were more reliable than their own). The Kawasaki's also have a reasonable reputation. Personally I wouldn't touch a Briggs and Stratton they don't tend to last. Good luck.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Same as above....Vanguard hands down with a Kawi as a great 2nd option. Stay away from the commercail turf series.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztr enthusiast View Post
You are most likely to get the best longevity from the Vanguard Big Block. It's made by Dihatsu (owned by Toyota who bought them because their vehicles were more reliable than their own). The Kawasaki's also have a reasonable reputation. Personally I wouldn't touch a Briggs and Stratton they don't tend to last. Good luck.
First of all what deck is the original poster looking at? The FS691V is on the 52" while the FS730V is on the 61"

Also there is a new "mid block" vanguard option at 26HP I believe. Not even sure its available yet but I think its a continuation or upgrade of the commercial turf engine and not made by dihatsu.

If you can still get the actual Vanguard Big Block on that machine its probably the best engine. But what are you using the machine for? The 600 and 700 are more for the pro-sumer. I really would suggest a commercial user move up to the 2000/2100. At that point you have more options on engines. Kawasaki FX series, EFI Kohler...
Old 01-18-2014, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Smile

It may pay to check the Vanguard engine to clarify if it is indeed a "Big Block" engine. The Dihatsu manufactured models have stamped on the casing into the metal "Made in Japan". These models are good engines. If it doesn't have "Made in Japan" on it then the Kawasaki would be my choice.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm looking at the 52". I use at the moment to mow about 10 acres a week which I'm expecting to increase this season. Thanks for all the posts so far.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2014, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Vanguard big block.. Easy choice and you should be able to make your decision simply by the number of votes for the vanguard and our experience with them.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok sounds great. So vanguard big block, then Kawasaki. Thanks for the input!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2014, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid Lawns View Post
I'm looking at the 52". I use at the moment to mow about 10 acres a week which I'm expecting to increase this season. Thanks for all the posts so far.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well for 52" you have only 2 options. Briggs Commercial Turf or Kawasaki FS. If it was me, I would get the Briggs. If you treat it right it will last a long time. It has a better air filter than the Kawasaki FS. If there is only a couple $100 difference then go Kawasaki but if its like 500+ I would say Briggs.

Honestly I think you really should be looking at moving up to the 2000/2100 for your needs.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
Well for 52" you have only 2 options. Briggs Commercial Turf or Kawasaki FS. If it was me, I would get the Briggs. If you treat it right it will last a long time. It has a better air filter than the Kawasaki FS. If there is only a couple $100 difference then go Kawasaki but if its like 500+ I would say Briggs.

Honestly I think you really should be looking at moving up to the 2000/2100 for your needs.

Oh the Ferris website showed those four options for that model? I would love to step up models but my budget originally was only $5k and I've already stepped up to the 700.
Posted via Mobile Device