Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-03-2003, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by timturf
I'm not done on uf

What % of uf is hwin?

What % of hwin in uf will breakdown in 1 year, and in 2 years?

UF % of CWIN= 60%

UF % of HWIN= 40%

% of UF HWIN to break down each year depends on the activity index which is only available thur the manufacture of that UF produce. Each manufacture will have a different Activity Index

UF was the first real slow release developed in the 1960. It is CWIN that is important or more important than Hwin. Cwin will start releasing in 2 to 3 month and WSN will rease in 2 to 3 weeks. HWIN can take 3 years to release 100%. SCU will take 2 year to release 100%.

Tim I hope this is the answer you are looking for. You made me go to the books. Page 142 "Western Fertilizer Handbook".

Darn Guy please help me out, Timturf has me on the ropes. But I am learning something

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-11-2003, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: central virgina, transition, plant hardy zone 7a, and heat index zone 7
uf, nitroform s

activity index 40 min take 1-2 yrs for hwin to release
70% of nitrogen available in first 15 weeks
Primarly work with cool season turf
Old 04-12-2003, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Timturf

1.) Two years for nitroform s to release all of the N. How Long for SCU to release all of the N??

2.) What % of SCU is released in first 6 to12 weeks.

The point I am shooting for is Economics in Agronomics.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 04-12-2003, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Now how about Phosphorus

Phosphorus fertilization has garnered considerable press lately. In Minnesota for example phosphorus applications are banned because of levels found in surface water (whether this is due to lawn fertilization or not is irrelevant at this point). In a few other communities phosphorus can only be applied if soil test results show phosphorus to be low. On golf courses, phosphorus levels are monitored through soil test reports, however for the lawn care market this is much more difficult to do on a large geographical area.
Phosphorus is a major element that is especially critical during turf/seedling establishment. In mature stands phosphorus is critical component important in the energy (ATP) required for growth. Deficiencies show as a slowing of growth and eventually phosphorus deficient symptoms can appear (bluish color leaf blades). A proper balance between soil phosphorus levels and that needed for growth is both environmentally sound and necessary for maintaining quality turf.

Dr. Wayne Kussow at the University of Wisconsin wrote a recent article (Phosphorus fact or fiction Landscape Management 42:56-58,60,62) where he mentions 2 general hints that might help you plan your phosphorus program. The first is major nutrient analysis of leaf clippings remains rather constant for turfgrasses. The ratio of nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P2O5) and potassium (K2O) roughly falls in a 4:1:3 ratios. By using a fertilizer with an N: P2O5 ratio of 4:1 you will roughly maintain the current soil test levels of phosphorus. If you use a ratio less than 4:1 such as 2:1 or 3:1 you will contribute to the phosphorus levels in the soil. On the other hand if you use a fertilizer ratio greater than 4:1 like 8:1 or 10:1 you will slowly deplete the phosphorus in the soil. You can either build-up, maintain, or deplete phosphorus levels over time by the fertilizer you use.

In addition, from research at the University of Wisconsin, it takes roughly 1 lb. P2O5/1000 sq.ft. /year to maintain soil test levels when clippings are removed. If clippings are returned that amount drops in half to 0.5 lb. P2O5/1000 sq.ft. /year. Phosphorus levels in the soil are impacted by climate, growing season, and soil texture to name just a few. However, the 4:1 ratio and 1 lb rule for clippings removed is a good base to start designing a phosphorus fertility program.
Old 04-12-2003, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: central virgina, transition, plant hardy zone 7a, and heat index zone 7
Release rate would depend on thickness of coating and quality of coating, I believe. I was under the impression it would all release within 16 to 24 weeks, but I'm not a scu user, nor very informed on scu. I had too much problems in gc turf with unreliable release due to shipping and golf cart and equipment breaking pellets. I know they have improved product, but I need more education on product!

Scu is proable a good source of n for general lawn care fert applications.

Uf, would only be a good source of n for lawn care if you provide an excellent program and have little turn over!!! At 68% win, you can apply up to 10 lbs/1000, = 3.8 lbs n /1000, so using uf, you could get by with only 2 applications per season!!!!!! This makes it more economical! Since release depends on microrganism, most n release when turf is growing. Don't think it's the only source of n, but one that could fit into a program!

P2o5, is very inmobile in soil, and can be tied up in soil, so it"s unavailable to plants. I BELIEVE , even if soil is high in p2o5, you should apply .5 to 1 lbs/1000 on turf as a general rule.

Russ, think ric and I would like to discuss n sources, and after competing them , move onto another element. Lets do p2o5, after n is done.

Ric, why don't you post the order of n sources we are going to discuss?
Primarly work with cool season turf
Old 04-13-2003, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Russ

In the 1880s Rock Phosphate was discovered in the Peace River here in Fla. From that day to this Phosphate is mine and shipped all over the world. Our soil is very rich with Phosphate however it is not available to our plants. Since our soil is calcareous sand with a pH of about 9.5 average it will never be available to plants. This has to do with Redox Potential or oxidation-reduction. Pe + pH = redox potential. P is the math symbol for negative log and e = electrons H = hydrogen electrons. Mining accidents have polluted our rivers and Harbors many times over and are an issue here. Run off or leaching is not as big an issue in my area.

Jacksonville Fla. Was the first place in Florida to be concerned with phosphate run off. Therefore phosphate has been taken out of fertilizer sold in that area. The rest of Florida is following suite. Starting with Northeast and moving to South East. It will move to South West Florida also. We are tech and not PhDs but as tech we have the duty not to contaminate the environment. The only way not to pollute is with knowledge and concern. Dr. Karl Danneberger PhD is a PhD and we should be concerned with his finding. 4-1-2 ratios have long been accepted as the right ratio of elements to apply to southern Turf. Dr, Danneberger research is something we should talk about. Those of us living in areas that are concerned with Phosphate pollution should be even more aware of this report. Please remember also that nitrate pollution is also an issue that has to be dealt with. Yes Russ I would like to talk more about this issue, but feel we need to start a new thread about it.

TimTurf

I think we need to start a new thread titled “N” or “Nitrogen” Advanced Agronomy. After that a new thread “P” then “K” etc. This will allow member to do a search under each element and find their answer. Yes I will start that thread as requested. I would like to start at the bottom with NO3 and work up. In the past it has been you and myself that have kept this thread alive. We need help and Russ has offered that. We need more members to joint in with the Q & A of this in order to make it a more meaningful thread. Yes we all are starting our busy season and posts will be slow. I guess that is why Tim Turf and I have not answered right away. Instead we have waited a week or so to post back so as to give other member a chance to joint in. I would like to think this is a thread that has long-term value for all member of Lawn Site. Yes it is easier to go to Lesco and ask what should I use and Lesco is a great company, however this thread might give the member the ability to know what to use and to buy it from an other company at a lower price. We have many members here that have the knowledge to add to this idea and need their support to make it work.

Old 04-17-2003, 09:19 PM

I'm open to the idea..... what would you want involved? Post here or e-mail me directly and we can go over it. I think it's a great idea with genuinely helpful info from informed pros in the industry.....am I heading down the right path?
Old 11-06-2003, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Whatever happend to these threads?

Lets look at hese -- might be good Winter time discussion.

Ric -- are you up for continuing the discussion? I know that there is still a lot to talk about with Nitrogen sources, release rates, etc.

Kansas City Lawn Care and Landscaping

Kansas City Lawn Care and Landscaping Blog
Old 11-06-2003, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hamons

I try to get an Advanced Agronomy forum here at LS. But after not having my e-mails answered by the administrator I gave up. It takes a lot of time to write these posts and they do not put any money or power in my pocket. In fact I advertised for a spray tech here and No one applied for the job. I hired a local guy and pay for his night college. He will walk away with a lot of certifications in just a few short years including Irrigation.

I am now putting my time into my own business and have even increased the size of my Nursery. Right now I am building a fog house that will do 50,000 liners a year. We are what we eat and so the same is true with Plants. Proper feeding (Fertilizer) is the key to all plant life.

Sorry but all my posting has slowed down. At present time I can't keep up with my own work. I am way behind so taking on more responsibility's is out of the question.

Old 11-06-2003, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

This is a truly informational thread. I'd like to see it bumped to the top for a while so myself and others can take advantage of it,
and perhaps continue it.
Mods/ Administration? Is this possible?