Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-19-2014, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Member

kicking the tracks

im looking at a few used mini excavators in my area. an ihi 35, komatsu, and a case all similar weights. ( I don't want to get into a who is better discussion). But other that the usual items that one would check for(leaks, loose pins, blow by ,etc) what are some tips or tricks to check these things out. I called the ihi dealer just to see what a final might run just in case and it was 6,000. scared me a lot about getting a lemon. Do the finals always lag a bit before failure? i own an asv so im not afraid of fixing things. It s tough to check on anything right now anyways because everything is frozen solid. but id like to get a jump on things as people in my area will be installing new sewage taps as soon as it thaws. I hope you guys get what im asking. any help is appreciated.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If your doing a lot of sanitary connections , I would recommend a 5 tonne machine . Extra dig depth goes along way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2014, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree if your doing sewer connections, dig depth and the ability to handle alum. trench boxes is your friend. That's not a job for a 35 sized machine. I would go 5 ton at min. IHI builds a real good mini ex.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Member

the connections are mainly shallow do to running along a stream, low lands. I have a larger machine available to me as well. any areas to look at for sure before buying one of these things
Old 01-20-2014, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

IHI machines are pretty popular at the rental yards here. Never hear many complaints. Some of the older Bobcats I do not like but overall most excavators made in the last 5 years are comparable in quality.

It is just an opinion of mine but I would look at track wear as an indication of abuse too final drives. I have seen 1500 hour excavators with worn out tracks and also see 3000 hour machine with original tracks. In my opinon would be an indication of how the machine was used.

I personally think the 6 ton machine is ideal but I have put many hours in a 35 size machine and they are productive.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks awj. the ihi has one new track already at less than 1500 hrs the other one isn't terrible. it was a Neff rental machine. I noticed the ones they are selling at Neff all have around 2500 hrs on them so im giving this one the hairy eye ball. its going to be frigid this week so ill have to wait to crawl over them for a while. by the way is 6k the normal price for a final in these machines? we replaced one in a cat 311 for that much if I remember right.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is nothing specific about age on an IHI that I am aware of. I had a 35J and put 2K hours on it, with minimal issue.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

any one else?