Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-19-2014, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro Dingo 427 won't stay running

Hey everyone,
I'm new to the site and a quick search didn't show any results so I'm looking for a little help here.

I own a circa 2005 Toro Dingo 427 (I don't have model numbers right handy but can get them). It has the Kohler Command Pro 27HP engine in it and for most of my season it has been running great. About a month ago, for some unknown reason, it will run fine for a while and then just up and shut down while running. It does not get bogged down, it just simply cuts out. It will usually not re-start after it cuts out. If you leave it completely un-touched for a period of time which can range from hours to days, it will magically decide it will cooperate and start again. Originally we thought it was a fuel issue since it would fire on ether, so we replaced the fuel pump. I was outside using it to move some logs around yesterday and it was running great until all of a sudden it randomly cut out again. I didn't have much time to mess with it so I left it until this morning. I came out with some ether and my jump pack (its been below freezing the past few nights) and tried to fire it up. This time, it will not fire on ether either. So now I am thinking either ignition related or possibly electronic. Looking for any thoughts or other further diagnosis I can check. Thanks in advance.

Luke
Old 01-19-2014, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman977 View Post
Hey everyone,
I'm new to the site and a quick search didn't show any results so I'm looking for a little help here.

I own a circa 2005 Toro Dingo 427 (I don't have model numbers right handy but can get them). It has the Kohler Command Pro 27HP engine in it and for most of my season it has been running great. About a month ago, for some unknown reason, it will run fine for a while and then just up and shut down while running. It does not get bogged down, it just simply cuts out. It will usually not re-start after it cuts out. If you leave it completely un-touched for a period of time which can range from hours to days, it will magically decide it will cooperate and start again. Originally we thought it was a fuel issue since it would fire on ether, so we replaced the fuel pump. I was outside using it to move some logs around yesterday and it was running great until all of a sudden it randomly cut out again. I didn't have much time to mess with it so I left it until this morning. I came out with some ether and my jump pack (its been below freezing the past few nights) and tried to fire it up. This time, it will not fire on ether either. So now I am thinking either ignition related or possibly electronic. Looking for any thoughts or other further diagnosis I can check. Thanks in advance.

Luke

Coil... Have you tried to see if it has spark when it quits?
Old 01-19-2014, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Coils could very well be the problem.
Check to see if your carb solenoid is not shutting down.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2014, 03:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Had one once on a Z that did the same thing. Never did fix that one. If the air filter was removed and no choke/WOT it would cough and restart-everytime. I was thinking it was a really tiny leak in a fuel line at the time but who knows. Never got a chance to find out. Try what I did and see if it will restart the next time.