Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-07-2014, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Will a v ride hold a hill as well as a deere

My choice is between a 61 inch v ride scag or a 661r deere. Will the scag hold a hill as good as the deere? I am thinking of filling the drive tires with fluid on either one I get. Thanks
Old 09-07-2014, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtscooter5 View Post
My choice is between a 61 inch v ride scag or a 661r deere. Will the scag hold a hill as good as the deere? I am thinking of filling the drive tires with fluid on either one I get. Thanks
ive had the wright version of of the 661. it held hills like glue. I demoed a v ride and it seemed nose heavy. im sure its because they put a big removable weight in the front. I currently have 2 vantages. holds hills like no other. you do have to be careful when going down on angle like regular z's
Old 09-07-2014, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

ya I am demoing the scag right now and it will go up any hill without touble and goes stait down pretty good but side slopes it didn't seem quite as good. I slid off a hill sideways that I held the deere on a few weeks ago when I demoed it. I wish I had them side by side to run. I am not super familiar on standers but have run a ztr for years.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Will a v ride hold a hill as well as a deere

Wright makes the best stander. The Deere is a wright that's why it sticks the hills
Old 09-07-2014, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybrown View Post
Wright makes the best stander. The Deere is a wright that's why it sticks the hills
Wright's patent/edge on standers is dated. they don't have the advantage they used to.
Depending on where you live it can be hard (or next to impossible) to even get a wright because their dealer network is abysmal. Which is why I think they went into agreement with deere, because it seems like deere dealers are like deer ticks, they are everywhere.

If I could have any stander it the world , It would be aWright ZK,
that being said, the ZK isn't the best for holding hills.

The first generation wrights with 42" and 48" deck sizes were the best for that.

I havent ridden a wright stander in years now, but it does seem to me like the VRide likes to point down hill a little too much (nose heavy). But like typical metlacraft equipment… the Vride is a TANK.

I don't really put the VRide on extreme hills, not what I have them for. I use SWZs for that work.
I havent ridden a Jd quick track since they were warmed over Super Surfers, so I can't really comment….but if It were my money to gamble, and I hate Deere, I'd buy the one I felt the most comfortable and confident on…because in the end its 80% operator confidence and 20% machine capability… in truth they are all extremely close in capability with minor nuances that very from operator to operator.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replys. I really like how the scag is built and ya seems super stout like you said Tpendagast. I am just a small operation I farm full time and mow on the side and just use one mower so I just want to get the best one as I only put around 150 hours a year so I will have it along time. I think I like the scag better in almost every are except it may not go across hills quite as good but it will go stait up the nastiest hill you can find, tons of power. Little worried about the deere having the motor mounted on the deck, but I guess it has worked good in the past. Keep on posting like to hear everyones opinion