Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-25-2014, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't get people that say a walker is two slow. Yes if i was cutting acreage i could see it. That's why i have a 60 lazer for large properties. But on smaller quarter to three quarter acre lots the walker is superior. Also if you add the speed up kit your right back up to the average speed of a z turn. We never run full stick on the Z turns. at that speed the cut quality is not quality.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQLL View Post
I don't get people that say a walker is two slow. Yes if i was cutting acreage i could see it. That's why i have a 60 lazer for large properties. But on smaller quarter to three quarter acre lots the walker is superior. Also if you add the speed up kit your right back up to the average speed of a z turn. We never run full stick on the Z turns. at that speed the cut quality is not quality.
Speak for your self and your grass type. But in the south we cut that fast mainly becuase we cut it low and don't stripe. You also want find a Walker. I'm not gonna argue but Walker is to slow for me period. If you would come mow with me you would see why we can mow that fast. But I do understand in the thick grass that y'all cut at 4 inches there is no way you could cut full stick and get quality. You have to go slow enought to get good suction on the grass for a good cut. I understand that. But cutting at 2 inches in not so thick grass we can cut full stick.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2014, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Most of my accounts range from 1/2 acre to 5 acres. I have found cut quality drops off some after 11 mph. 8-10mph seems to be a good average on rougher properties. I can hit 13 mph on large smooth properties.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2014, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Most of my accounts range from 1/2 acre to 5 acres. I have found cut quality drops off some after 11 mph. 8-10mph seems to be a good average on rougher properties. I can hit 13 mph on large smooth properties.
Posted via Mobile Device
Agree
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2014, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppin View Post
Speak for your self and your grass type. But in the south we cut that fast mainly becuase we cut it low and don't stripe. You also want find a Walker. I'm not gonna argue but Walker is to slow for me period. If you would come mow with me you would see why we can mow that fast. But I do understand in the thick grass that y'all cut at 4 inches there is no way you could cut full stick and get quality. You have to go slow enought to get good suction on the grass for a good cut. I understand that. But cutting at 2 inches in not so thick grass we can cut full stick.
Posted via Mobile Device
if your cutting low then yes the walker isnt your thing. The same can be said come up here and cut with us and you see why we run the walkers. The biggest property we use the walker on is an acre. over we switch to the 60s. We cut at 4 to 3.5 thought the season in tall fescue grass.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
if your cutting low then yes the walker isnt your thing. The same can be said come up here and cut with us and you see why we run the walkers. The biggest property we use the walker on is an acre. over we switch to the 60s. We cut at 4 to 3.5 thought the season in tall fescue grass.
Yes sir I understand that.... When I cut 4 inches I have to slow down. But for me there to slow and if I slow down to 7.5 mph I can leave a beautiful cut that looks like a sheet of carpet with my ferris. I understand that you cant mow very fast at 4 inches.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2014, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think we cut a little stiffer grass also down south so that makes it easier to cut at fast speeds also.....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2014, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Choppin are you all cutting bahia grass.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Choppin are you all cutting bahia grass.
We cut Bahia, St. Augustine, Bermuda and some centipede and some of the properties is weedy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2014, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppin View Post
We cut Bahia, St. Augustine, Bermuda and some centipede and some of the properties is weedy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea that explains a lot. Walkers arnt for everyone but they sure have there place.
Posted via Mobile Device