Register free!

Old 09-12-2014, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Swim Pond Build in 2013 looking Amazing

Been a few years from posting on here! Thought I would let you check out this swim pond I did about a year ago. Finally got to swing by and get a picture of it after a few months of being busy. Would say its doing very well in Dallas, TX.
30' x 40' x 6' deep,

www.FncPonds.com
www.Facebook.com/FncPonds

Attached Images

Old 09-12-2014, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

that is awesome man. How did you make the foundation and how does it keep clean?
"When we finally tire of searching for happiness outside, we sit quietly and analyze and realize that true and lasting happiness can never come from outside. It can't come because it simply is. You are Happiness personified. You are that Supreme Bliss. You are that Joy. You are the image of happiness. God is the one who is always happy, and you are the image of God." - Satchitananda
Old 09-12-2014, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, The water is filtered thru the wetland and bogs around the pond, we used about 40 tons of moss rock to build the walls up.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Oh ok, so there is no pump? I guess the things that color water are debris like leaves? The water looks nice and clear. How would you clean that?

nice work
"When we finally tire of searching for happiness outside, we sit quietly and analyze and realize that true and lasting happiness can never come from outside. It can't come because it simply is. You are Happiness personified. You are that Supreme Bliss. You are that Joy. You are the image of happiness. God is the one who is always happy, and you are the image of God." - Satchitananda
Old 09-13-2014, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How often is it tested for water borne pathogens?
Old 09-15-2014, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

This is impressive. So if your filtering the water through the earth how do you recover all of the water? Is it spring fed? No liner?
Old 10-03-2014, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice work! I'm a big fan of swim ponds and am in the slow process of building one for myself. It's low going because my equipment is rarely home and I've also been slowed down by hitting some very tough sandstone and the hammering is slow going.

4 seasons, take a look at this link for natural swimming pools to see how they work.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That Wikipedia post is misleading. First the European testing is for total E. coli bacteria count or CPU. This standard allows for higher bacteria count than the U.S. which is near ZERO (0.50 CPU). Secondly, no reference is made to parasitic pathogens such as Giardia, Cryptosporidium and certain amoeba specie. These can only be effectively removed by UV, Ozonation, high chlorine and/or absolute one micron filters. The 100 micron filter mentioned in the Wikipedia article is basically the same size that is used in Koi pond sieves.
In addition, the proponents of NSPs always refer to FLL guidelines. The FLL is an organization formed in Europe by several large landscaping companies with the sole and express purpose of developing BMPs for the Green Roof industry. BioNova requested that they develop guidelines for NSPs. That is like asking an a HVAC association to write a guidebook on automobile repair. Hint: We will tell you what to include in these guidelines.
There is absolutely no hard data that substantiates that NSPs, as presently constructed, are safe for human immersion.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

And yet people continue to swim in natural environments all the time without becoming ill. And to be fair, people do frequently become ill from swimming in treated swimming pools too. An example would be cryptosporidium, which can apparently live for days even in a properly treated pool.

I think most reasonable people will acknowledge and accept that there is a higher level of risk swimming in a natural swim pond vs a treated pool. Back in 2009, one of every two pools in Germany was already a NSP. If there was a disproportionate number of infections caused by NSPs, I think we would have heard about it by now.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxridernorth View Post
If there was a disproportionate number of infections caused by NSPs, I think we would have heard about it by now.
This might be true if reporting were mandatory, which it is not.
As a contractor here in the U.S., the issue of legal liability also needs to be considered. Without any accepted guidelines or BMPs, one is wide open to litigation if an infection does occur.