Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-18-2014, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

How much can a solo make!

I'm 19 and starting my 2nd consecutive year of lawn maintenance and I've been wondering how much can a solo realistically gross. I'm not worried about profits because thats too vague because I don't know my operating cost yet. Last year I only had 3 yards but didn't care to gain new customers and did no advertising in any form what's so ever.

I've read some threads on this before but they seemed to be all over the place with figures. This year im tring to grow, so I figure I could mow between 35-50 yards weekly at about $35 each, only mowing 4 days a week about 35 weeks a year, plus side jobs and extras and I know about how much that would gross, But I really want to know what the ceiling is on solo operations.

I figure those yards pay between $1000-$2000 a year for lawn maintenance, but was wondering if I were to gain some larger yards in nicer nieghborhoods, I could still maintain about 6-8 per day, and service 24-32 a week, but I'm guessing they would spend closer to $4000- up to $10,000's a year, plus have more $$$ for extras and side work.

I'm sorry for how long this is and my question basically is how much is the most a solo can gross working 4 days a week, if they have great customers, fair prices, tight schedule and the right equipment.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Where I live it would be tough to gross more than 60k working solo unless you were working over 40/week. Our mowing season here is only 6.5 months though. With a helper that number could be 90-100k gross.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, that sounds pretty good for 6.5 months, I'm in texas and I still see guys mowing all the time, I think I would be mowing for 9 months or so maybe 35-37 or more weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2014, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

In my area if you ran hard all season you could probably do 75k solo. Maybe more or less depending on many circumstances.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2014, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter View Post
In my area if you ran hard all season you could probably do 75k solo. Maybe more or less depending on many circumstances.
Posted via Mobile Device
How much do you think is possible to gross from extras and side work during off season. No plowing ofcourse since I live in Texas.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Member

I have another question about a high end residential lot, I don't mow it, but know the people that live there and after building up my business, I would most likely be able to get the account since they like me.
Its about a 1.5 million dollar home on 2 acres with a 6000sq ft home, a guest house, a 20x20 shop, a tennis court, gazebo and lots of hard scape. It would only be about 1-1.25 acres of mowing.
I think a home like this would take about an hour solo with the right equipment and I'm guessing about $90 weekly. Plus lots of extras from them.
I figured with a schedule full of these homes, about 32 or so, it would be possible to gross a little over 100k, with about 35 mows. Does this sound attainable? Or is the price to high, I almost feel it's a little low.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2014, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well I picked up an account this past fall where I am grossing in the ball park of 45k a year working one day a week in the summer and snow plowing in the winter. Its multiple properties spead over 40 miles but its only like 5 acres of grass and 2 acres of parking lots. This account was like winning the lottery though. They literally don't care what I charge period.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2014, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh and reading your first post over again, when you plan how many lawns you do, figure just about any lawn you do is going to take a hr if you have to drop the gate and reload. If you can do 2 lawn when you drop the gate then you might be able to do 2 a hr or so. It isn't the lawn that takes a hr, its the 10-15 min travel time, that 3 min loading and unloading time, and that 5 min of extra you do ontop of the norm, and 2 min messing with your equipment ontop of doing the lawn.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2014, 03:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Oh and reading your first post over again, when you plan how many lawns you do, figure just about any lawn you do is going to take a hr if you have to drop the gate and reload. If you can do 2 lawn when you drop the gate then you might be able to do 2 a hr or so. It isn't the lawn that takes a hr, its the 10-15 min travel time, that 3 min loading and unloading time, and that 5 min of extra you do ontop of the norm, and 2 min messing with your equipment ontop of doing the lawn.
Posted via Mobile Device
Wow thanks for the info. and that's sounds like a great job you got. Right now it takes me a little over an hour a lawn with a 21", and the travel time and loading and unloading adds that extra time you stated and so I figure you can gross a lot more on doing a few less high end properties then doing a lot of little ones, unless they're all right next to each other and a large mower could be used, that way would win no matter what.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2014, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How much can a solo make!

Get a toro 30 and cut your mowing time by 40% nobody uses 21 s here anymore. Why. The 30 is a much better cut and has side discharge also

Tags
day , gross , high , profit , solo