Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-31-2014, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Advertising in HOA Newsletter?

Hey everyone, I have been sticking business cards in doors for advertising and that has given me more than enough work, but I recently was called by a lady asking if I wanted to advertise in some HOA newsletters. She got one of my business cards in her door and just gave me a call. The prices are pretty cheap too. There are over 10 hoa's I can advertise in, each one has a different amount of homes, but all cost the same price. The best deal is 3000 homes with a business card size black and white ad in the newsletter that reaches all homes once a month. It's $40 per month. All ads start at $40 and go up from there with bigger sizes and if they're in color.

It seems worth it, because all I could loose is $120 because it's a 3 month minimum. She said that there is one other landscaper in the hoa newsletter with 3000 homes, but he's not in any others. She also said most of the members will check the ads and would like to do business with them, instead of someone else.

Has anyone done advertising in Hoa newsletter before? How well did it work? My goal is to get the majority of the homes in different hoa's and not just do the entire hoa on contract for a much lower price. This way I could do half the homes for about the same price of all of them, because I'm getting a check from the homeowner and not the hoa.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-31-2014, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm curious about HOA advertising also!
Old 05-31-2014, 01:10 PM
Sponsor

Find out who else is advertising that you will be competing against as well. If there are plenty of competitors already advertising, think twice before you make the investment.
easy-lift guy
Old 05-31-2014, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
Find out who else is advertising that you will be competing against as well. If there are plenty of competitors already advertising, think twice before you make the investment.
easy-lift guy
Only one company and he's only in ine of the newsletters and I have already gained some of his accounts because he is too busy and can't do the extra jobs people want.

I think even being in the same hoa newsletter with him would be good, because anyone not happy with him would come to me, instead of looking online or seeing a truck go by. And there are 3000 homes in the one he advertises in, so there's plenty for both of us. Would hate to make him mad but I see competition as a good thing and would welcome it anytime. I would never bash another company, but I'll be the first to step in if I can do a better job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-31-2014, 02:35 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrant711 View Post
Only one company and he's only in ine of the newsletters and I have already gained some of his accounts because he is too busy and can't do the extra jobs people want.

I think even being in the same hoa newsletter with him would be good, because anyone not happy with him would come to me, instead of looking online or seeing a truck go by. And there are 3000 homes in the one he advertises in, so there's plenty for both of us. Would hate to make him mad but I see competition as a good thing and would welcome it anytime. I would never bash another company, but I'll be the first to step in if I can do a better job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Your reputation will speak volumes within the HOA!.. Go for it, be prepared to take on and handle more work.
easy-lift guy
Old 05-31-2014, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
Your reputation will speak volumes within the HOA!.. Go for it, be prepared to take on and handle more work.
easy-lift guy
Thanks, so far I got two full days I could add on for mowing, about 20 yards and then the rest if the week would be the side jobs, estimating, bookwork, and anything else.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2014, 04:15 AM
Sponsor

Time management will be very important to handle more work. Just on the side you may consider a temporary position to handle paper and office work, for you. That way you can spend the maximum amount of time handling your existing work load. Your temp can contact you or visa versa at pre arranged times with updates for bidding new work, handling appointments and contacting customers for you while your out in the field.
easy-lift guy
Old 06-03-2014, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You should probably try it, but I haven't had great experience with HOA newsletters. I've tried a couple (it's been a while) for about $20 a month, but I would hardly get any calls. Sure, it could definitely pay off if you get one customer (even for $40) but it's going to take a long time that way!

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT