Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-21-2014, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate'sLawnCare View Post
I'm licensed to do ornamentals and turf, but don't really go after the trees and shrubs as far as chemical apps. We mainly treat turf for weeds and fire ants around here. In my area, I'd estimate only about 10% of LCO's have licenses to do apps, most just mow.
Have you considered doing just aps for turf only and at some point drop mowing. There are a fair number of lawn APS only Co. In my area.

Very few lawn cutters here can match my cut quality and vertical squared up zero scalp edging...but in some ways it seem like I could clearly be making more on APS only. My basic plan is to phase out mowing except for those who are willing to pay full throttle rates for my double cutt manicured to perfection look.
Also dropping all my bi-weeklies this year. The bean counter chiseler clients are not worth it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2014, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Have you considered doing just aps for turf only and at some point drop mowing. There are a fair number of lawn APS only Co. In my area.

Very few lawn cutters here can match my cut quality and vertical squared up zero scalp edging...but in some ways it seem like I could clearly be making more on APS only. My basic plan is to phase out mowing except for those who are willing to pay full throttle rates for my double cutt manicured to perfection look.
Also dropping all my bi-weeklies this year. The bean counter chiseler clients are not worth it.
Posted via Mobile Device
I wouldn't consider just going to apps only at this point, since it seems like most of my app opportunities come from existing mowing customers that are looking for one-stop lawn care. I like the idea of being able to sell multiple services to each customer, whether it's hedge trimming, apps, mulch, etc.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have people that have me do everything.

Though I cherish the customers that only have me just mow, just fert, just fall clean ups, just snow. Because they all help to fill my schedule and all pay me well.

I think some one starting out should not do sprinklers because of the time and equipment needed is just diverting resources away from getting all the landscaping equipment.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
I have people that have me do everything.

Though I cherish the customers that only have me just mow, just fert, just fall clean ups, just snow. Because they all help to fill my schedule and all pay me well.

I think some one starting out should not do sprinklers because of the time and equipment needed is just diverting resources away from getting all the landscaping equipment.
I replace busted heads that I break and set and adjust timers but I have to agree with this statement. Unless someone already has worked it already and already knows their way around. Still....it's the consistency work that matters to me. I typically over bid shrubs and pruning just so I don't get stuck fiddling with it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2014, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
A reasonable answer is less than $30k take home.
^^^^ This. Spoken from experience, I do believe.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
+2
Not sure how some of these solo guys are pulling in over 40k cutting grass
Old 01-24-2014, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
+2
Not sure how some of these solo guys are pulling in over 40k cutting grass
I do not do hardscapes. Though I do more then just mow.

My minimum charge is $35 for a 1/4 acre or less. I do my them in 20 to 30 minutes.

Being generous with travel time I could do 1 lawn with travel time in 1 hour. 10 lawns would yield $350. 15 lawns 525.

Four days of 10 lawns a day yields $1,400. 15 lawns a day = $2,100.

28 weeks = $39,000 to $58,800 a year.

Five days of mowing yields $1,750/$2,625 = $49,000 to $73,500 a year.

I do not have five full days of mowing those there are people here that do.

Though mowing 28 weeks of 50 hours a week work will gross up to $73,500.

Last edited by 32vld; 01-24-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

32vld, ... good math, but it cannot work in reality. As much as I would like to schedule packed days, six days per week (never work on Sunday), such a plan is impractical. One must leave slack for weather related delays, and other interruptions.

It is great to plan, and necessary. But, one has to be realistic as well. Ed2... has it right.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Minimum charge of $35 for smaller lawns in my area is violated constantly by a number of long-term larger Co. $25 per cut is the new $35 min charge.

I start the clock when the truck stops and as I drive off is when I clock out.

It is not uncommon to see a crew of 2-3 mow a $25 lawn in 15-20 min. Scalped edging, dull blades, cut too short.

Granted my focus is quality not mass appeal and much of the time I double cut. Most of my growth goals are in applications where the client mows themselves and I only mow for those willing to pay a bit more than Johnny Cheap cuts.

Granted as a solo one can expense a fair of overhead but really....every time I see these threads where someone want to start their own Lawncare Co. but there currently making $45k-$75k with benefits. Um....why rock the boat. I basically stumbled into this business as a side line rototilling home gardens and mowed a few lawns with a push mower while working another business...after my wife got fired from her job. If I could time travel back to that time frame...I would.

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Exact Rototilling; 01-24-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrant711 View Post
I have another question about a high end residential lot, I don't mow it, but know the people that live there and after building up my business, I would most likely be able to get the account since they like me.
Its about a 1.5 million dollar home on 2 acres with a 6000sq ft home, a guest house, a 20x20 shop, a tennis court, gazebo and lots of hard scape. It would only be about 1-1.25 acres of mowing.
I think a home like this would take about an hour solo with the right equipment and I'm guessing about $90 weekly. Plus lots of extras from them.
I figured with a schedule full of these homes, about 32 or so, it would be possible to gross a little over 100k, with about 35 mows. Does this sound attainable? Or is the price to high, I almost feel it's a little low.
Posted via Mobile Device
In my opinion, your price could be a little low for a 1.5 million dollar home on 2 acres in the Fort Worth area.

These properties should not be treated like a mow, blow and go property. That is not what these clients are paying you to do. Do not sacrifice quality for speed. These clients expect top quality lawn & yard care and customer service that is second to none. Details matter to these clients and we won't last long if our attention to detail slips because we are rushing to get the job done. If we miss the weed in the flowerbed or missed a spot while trimming or whack our trimmer on the turf to extend the line and we scalp the lawn or the edges look terrible because they were done one time with a trimmer and not an edger, the client will notice and will probably look to replace us…I'm not saying that you or I do these things, it's just something we need to make sure doesn't happen on the properties we service.

Also, 35 mows per season seems a little short for our area. Look to extend your mowing season to around 40-42 weeks to handle all the late falling leaves that we get and then add, at minimum, one service day in January and one service day in February for a total of 42-44 weeks of service. These type of clients usually want year round service.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110