Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-24-2014, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. W. Landscapers, Inc. View Post
In my opinion, your price could be a little low for a 1.5 million dollar home on 2 acres in the Fort Worth area.

These properties should not be treated like a mow, blow and go property. That is not what these clients are paying you to do. Do not sacrifice quality for speed. These clients expect top quality lawn & yard care and customer service that is second to none. Details matter to these clients and we won't last long if our attention to detail slips because we are rushing to get the job done. If we miss the weed in the flowerbed or missed a spot while trimming or whack our trimmer on the turf to extend the line and we scalp the lawn or the edges look terrible because they were done one time with a trimmer and not an edger, the client will notice and will probably look to replace us…I'm not saying that you or I do these things, it's just something we need to make sure doesn't happen on the properties we service.

Also, 35 mows per season seems a little short for our area. Look to extend your mowing season to around 40-42 weeks to handle all the late falling leaves that we get and then add, at minimum, one service day in January and one service day in February for a total of 42-44 weeks of service. These type of clients usually want year round service.
Ditto on this. I can usually squeeze 42-44 service visits out of most of my higher end clients around the area.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Here in the land of $25 cheap cuts from the bigger Co. I'd say do this as a sideline income booster with minimal equipment. Go to college and get an education.

In another thread someone was claiming they where making $75k with a regular job and enjoyed mowings his limited number of accounts. Hey that's great but whatever happened to enjoying ones down time and go fishing or something vs chasing after more work. If you can't live off of $75k....? Maybe cost of living is outrageous...

I believe it's possible to make over $60k gross a year in my area in lawn maintenance but would require doing snow or other more profitable work than just mowing per say.
Posted via Mobile Device
75k and you need to cut lawns on the side for extra money, but couldn't afford a decent mower or a truck. If that guy can't manage his personal finances enough to live off 75k he has no shot of running a business that isn't bankrupt within 6 months.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2014, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm going to have an answer for you in 12 months on what the ceiling really is.
My partner and I are dropping the employee model so yes there will be 2 guys so not a true solo but cut the sale number in half at the end of the year and were playing the same game.

We will run close to a true solo model though each man taking his own rig to mower his lawn list. We plan on 70 cuts on my list and 90 on his. We will do that in 4 days Mon-Thursday. Leaving us Friday and Saturday for over flow or his 60 fert accounts or my pruning and what mulch jobs or seeding work we have. We will work as a team for clean ups me driving the leaf box and him driving the trailer so it gives us the abilities of big companies with out the over head.

Now the first objections to this will be what do you mean 160 accounts do you know how long that will take thats not realistic. Well actually it is I have 200 we were doing that with 2 two man crews in 3 days I'm just going to trim the low margin and long distance ones. We expect 1250 a day in income for the mowing days and 1-2k more for the weeks we get to do other stuff. Again I have the accounts so I'm not guessing on the numbers nor am I guessing on the time to cut them. We have 2 brand new Lazer xs models a 60 and a 72 plus 4 other mowers. Our fleet has 2 ram 4500s so we can tackle just about anything. We expect to hit 200k perhaps 210k next year with no employees now cut that in half and you get 100-105k thats what I expect my ceiling to be and thats because we don't do plowing nor do we wish to add it.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
I'm going to have an answer for you in 12 months on what the ceiling really is.
My partner and I are dropping the employee model so yes there will be 2 guys so not a true solo but cut the sale number in half at the end of the year and were playing the same game.

We will run close to a true solo model though each man taking his own rig to mower his lawn list. We plan on 70 cuts on my list and 90 on his. We will do that in 4 days Mon-Thursday. Leaving us Friday and Saturday for over flow or his 60 fert accounts or my pruning and what mulch jobs or seeding work we have. We will work as a team for clean ups me driving the leaf box and him driving the trailer so it gives us the abilities of big companies with out the over head.

Now the first objections to this will be what do you mean 160 accounts do you know how long that will take thats not realistic. Well actually it is I have 200 we were doing that with 2 two man crews in 3 days I'm just going to trim the low margin and long distance ones. We expect 1250 a day in income for the mowing days and 1-2k more for the weeks we get to do other stuff. Again I have the accounts so I'm not guessing on the numbers nor am I guessing on the time to cut them. We have 2 brand new Lazer xs models a 60 and a 72 plus 4 other mowers. Our fleet has 2 ram 4500s so we can tackle just about anything. We expect to hit 200k perhaps 210k next year with no employees now cut that in half and you get 100-105k thats what I expect my ceiling to be and thats because we don't do plowing nor do we wish to add it.

That will be impressive if you can pull it off.
Why not consider you both working together?
One truck burning fuel and I bet together you can get more done then separate.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
32vld, ... good math, but it cannot work in reality. As much as I would like to schedule packed days, six days per week (never work on Sunday), such a plan is impractical. One must leave slack for weather related delays, and other interruptions.

It is great to plan, and necessary. But, one has to be realistic as well. Ed2... has it right.
My example had 4 days or 5 days max. Any only working 28 weeks. That leaves 24 weeks to recover from the burn out.

Many people post how they work 12 hr days 6 days a week during the growing season. I hope that you point it out to them every time that they post here that they should not do that.

Many people work Monday to Friday 40 hours a week with an extra 10 hours OT.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1 View Post
That will be impressive if you can pull it off.
Why not consider you both working together?
One truck burning fuel and I bet together you can get more done then separate.
I think they maybe more efficient because there will only be one guy in each truck making drive time more efficient.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
I think they maybe more efficient because there will only be one guy in each truck making drive time more efficient.
I was thinking the same way, one guy on one side of town and the other on the other side of town, drive time cut wayy down, as long as you don't have large lawns it can work, one guy doing that many lawns is still a lot of work though, seems like a recipe for burnout by July.

Last edited by cpllawncare; 01-24-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I was thinking the same way, one guy on one side of town and the other on the other side of town, drive time cut wayy down, as long as you don't have large lawns it can work, one guy doing that many lawns is still a lot of work though.
Thats a recipe to get burnt out
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2014, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

One feller in town I know is 60 years old and making 85k per year solo. Im not quit that ambitious, plus I have other stuff going on.

A hard working solo operator after expenses can make a little more than a "plummer, carpender, mechanic etc. that works for someone.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenningsLandscaping View Post
75k and you need to cut lawns on the side for extra money, but couldn't afford a decent mower or a truck. If that guy can't manage his personal finances enough to live off 75k he has no shot of running a business that isn't bankrupt within 6 months.
Posted via Mobile Device

In some places it takes a lot more than $75,000 a year to live comfortably while raising a family and saving for retirement.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110