Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-26-2014, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have to say I'm with whiffy on this one, your plan looks really good on paper Kelly, And I'm aware your a very experienced owner, but what I realized when I was trying to do 50 lawns/week solo was the wear and tear I was causing on myself, plus it created no extra time for additional selling that is always needed for growing the business, by the time I was done cutting I was done for the day AND the week. When it's 95 degrees out your going to slow down also so now your 4-5 day week turns into 6-7 day week, and hopefully it doesn't rain throwing another wrench into the equation.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Psh you got 7 days. 50 a week is for noobs
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2014, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Psh you got 7 days. 50 a week is for noobs
Posted via Mobile Device
NO 50 a week full service accounts big difference than just a mow and go company! We won't do mow and go!
Old 01-26-2014, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
NO 50 a week full service accounts big difference than just a mow and go company! We won't do mow and go!
Oh you add blowing? Haha I was doing 10-20 lawns a day solo with one day a week were I went 24hrs. I'm only 23 though and it was a huge slap in the face that I can't let my business run me like my dad let the farm do to him.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2014, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
A reasonable answer is less than $30k take home.
I would agree with that. 30k on the high end 15-20k on the low end take home if you base in off from a 28-30 weeks season. $25-$35 lawn are becoming way too common. It takes a lot of accounts to start making money.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Oh you add blowing? Haha I was doing 10-20 lawns a day solo with one day a week were I went 24hrs. I'm only 23 though and it was a huge slap in the face that I can't let my business run me like my dad let the farm do to him.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm not 23 so yea that makes a big difference, nothing wrong with the mo and go model if that's your thing, but I never started my business with the intention of only mowing grass, I wanted to evolve into a full scale landscaping company and so far that's where we're headed.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
Why can't a solo Make over $500 per day?

It's not typical but I have a solo route, 8-10 hours, 70 properties, gross of around 1k.

It can be done, though I do agree doing a route like this 50 hours a week for 30 weeks would be draining.
Posted via Mobile Device
You can gross $1000/day solo, working 8-10hrs. You would have to avg $100/hr throughout the day. Been in business since 1996 and I have never seen it done here or any other company I have spoken to. If you think its because we don't have the equipment, its not. We have pretty much everything there is to own in this business. So what is your secrets? I really need to get this info.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I'm not 23 so yea that makes a big difference, nothing wrong with the mo and go model if that's your thing, but I never started my business with the intention of only mowing grass, I wanted to evolve into a full scale landscaping company and so far that's where we're headed.
That's where I am heading. Its a hard transition from high school/college lawn boy to high scale landscaping company and especially when you are not living with mommy and daddy any more with free room and board. Around here most lawns are are not full service. When the average lawn is 2 acres that do, the cost of full service is to high when average pay is 15 a hr in a shop. Now with the customers I have been gaining post college its a different story. I just have to take the time for my pesticide license.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2014, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMlawncare View Post
You can gross $1000/day solo, working 8-10hrs. You would have to avg $100/hr throughout the day. Been in business since 1996 and I have never seen it done here or any other company I have spoken to. If you think its because we don't have the equipment, its not. We have pretty much everything there is to own in this business. So what is your secrets? I really need to get this info.
In a highly populated area with small lawns :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2014, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We gross around $1600-$2000/week on the maint side alone when we're at full song and we're not at full capacity yet,when we add in the install side that number goes up substantially. Maint is just a way to keep cash flowing and not where I want to concentrate the direction of the business.

Tags
day , gross , high , profit , solo