Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-19-2014, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Continue or quit?

Hey guys. I started mowing for money late last year. I had all equipment paid for but in bad shape. I had 3 regular accounts, few single timers, and a couple of landscape jobs. This is my current situation and I would like some input.

My truck needed repairs beyond its worth so I sold it. I overloaded my trailer and cracked the axle. My walk behind is undergoing some welding jobs on the deck. So pretty much I will need all new equipment to continue.

I would like to continue doing this because I enjoy it. I still have the 3 accounts. I can borrow enough to buy a used truck and a new trailer and I will need a new mower. In order to afford the loan payment I will need at least 10 more accounts.

Should I spend money on advertising and try to get some accounts and then borrow or just stop my operation? I should have the equipment prior to giving quotes in my opinion.
Push mowers
5x10 trailer

All my stuff is used but its paid for
Old 01-19-2014, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ate you older than 20 or younger?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2014, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

if you really enjoy the work, get a job with another company and start saving. most businesses fail because they are under capitalized. I am a fan of good debt, but in your position it sounds like borrowing may be a bad idea. if you already had 20 or 30 accounts, then sure borrowing at 0% wouldnt be a bad idea. but you are talking about borrowing with no way way to pay for it.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuedlawn View Post
Hey guys. I started mowing for money late last year. I had all equipment paid for but in bad shape. I had 3 regular accounts, few single timers, and a couple of landscape jobs. This is my current situation and I would like some input.

My truck needed repairs beyond its worth so I sold it. I overloaded my trailer and cracked the axle. My walk behind is undergoing some welding jobs on the deck. So pretty much I will need all new equipment to continue.

I would like to continue doing this because I enjoy it. I still have the 3 accounts. I can borrow enough to buy a used truck and a new trailer and I will need a new mower. In order to afford the loan payment I will need at least 10 more accounts.

Should I spend money on advertising and try to get some accounts and then borrow or just stop my operation? I should have the equipment prior to giving quotes in my opinion.
Doesnt make sense to add additional lawns just to pay the debt service on a loan for equipment that you will use to support your current three lawns. Not to be offensive but this is not an "operation." If you want to establish a business get a job, save enough to by decent equipment and build a customer base starting part time, and have at it.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I am 29 and already have a $70k year job. I can't afford to leave and work for $10 hr for another company.
Push mowers
5x10 trailer

Old 01-19-2014, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
Doesnt make sense to add additional lawns just to pay the debt service on a loan for equipment that you will use to support your current three lawns. Not to be offensive but this is not an "operation." If you want to establish a business get a job, save enough to by decent equipment and build a customer base starting part time, and have at it.
To many BIG time lco owners it may not be an operation. I like what I do and I like to spend time outdoors. I also do 2 lawn for no pay. They are my local volunteer rescue squads and I'm a member of one.
Push mowers
5x10 trailer

Old 01-19-2014, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Member

I realize it's a loaded post. I'd like to continue but don't mind walking away for a year if I have to.
Push mowers
5x10 trailer

Old 01-19-2014, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thats what I mean. If you have a good job, and just like cutting grass, your time may be better spent volunteering cutting grass for less fortunate people. Its not difficult to walk away from three accounts, becasue you wouild not be loosing a significant portion of your income. If you add up what your made from the three accounts and the one offs, I would assume the profit margin was pretty slim for the time and expense that you put in.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Member

$70k a year? Thats a great wage IMO. Stick with your day job unless you absolutely hate it or you think its not going to last much longer. Making a profit cutting grass can be difficult without knowing all the ins and outs of the work and managing everything. To make $70K a year cutting grass with little experience will take years to achieve no offense.

And why 86 that trailer just because of an axle issue? Welding shop will fix it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2014, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Member

It was slim but it bought some of new equipment and a good tax write off.
Push mowers
5x10 trailer