Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2014, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Custom Concrete Landscape Curbing

I run a medium sized lawn/landscape company with about 10 employees, plus myself. We were performing about 600 jobs a month at the end of last season, most of which were maintenance. We have built several hardscapes projects, but that's not our bread and butter. Yesterday, I was called out to estimate bed edging for a client. After I pitched several hardscape products with no success, she sent me to a house a couple of streets over to see the product she wanted. She did not know what she was looking at, but it was extruded, stamped concrete landscape curbing. I intended to sub that out, but didn't know anyone doing it. After a couple of hours of google searching and phone calling, I could not find a single contractor that provided that service, so I may just need to start doing it! Are any of you guys currently laying curb, and if so, how do you feel that portion of your operation performs against the other services you provide? Is it worth the investment? Is it a real revenue generator, or more of a value added service? How much per foot on average can one reasonably expect to charge?
Thanks in advance!
Old 02-23-2014, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Member

I do about every service, i have ran into 2 of those jobs in 20 years... I see it way more when i travel south, i have also bought into a lot of dumb concrete hardscapes ideas. Stamped, overlay, vertical stamping, water falls.
I see those setups for sale all the time, guys can't wait to get out of it.

I feel i already do to much as it is and would stay away from it.

Bucket Truck/Chipper

Landscapes/Hardscapes

7 Trucks
2 Loaders
1 Mini skid steer
A Army of MEN

Old 02-23-2014, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If i could get a machine cheap enough i would push it, but i do %50 concrete flatwork as it is. Too many guys go and buy the trailer and super deluxe package for 20k and sell it a few years later
Old 02-23-2014, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am actually in Tennessee, and stamped concrete is huge here, as far as flat work. A good portion of the mid to upscale new neighborhoods going in have stamped driveways or at least the section from the street to the first joint. I have found a complete package on CL for a real bargain compared to new price. Pennies on the dollar. The initial investment is not something I would have to go in debt for, and I'm not sure at that price I couldn't get my money back out of it. With all that said, I don't need or want to carry a bunch of extra inventory if its not going to be fairly profitable. I don't feel like I provide too many services at this point. I have been in business for about 8 years, and I still enjoy it every day...well most every day. Don't get me wrong, I am not looking at this as a get rich scheme, but I need a reasonable expectation of profit to take on any service.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
business , concrete , curb machine , landscape curbing , return on investment